Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black History Month

So, I grew up around a LOT of white people and consider myself very removed from black culture....

But, I have always been deeply moved when learning about the accomplishments of my darker brothers and sisters.

Props to the new President (although I can't say I voted for him) for bridging two cultures in one....though most of us would agree we've still many more bridges to build....

Who are some of the lesser known men and women of color we should be thinking about this month?

*I've always been moved by the Civil War story of the 54th Mass.
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

Ohhhh...

This one is headed straight for the "Pit" I can see it now.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    Who are some of the lesser known men and women of color we should be thinking about this month?
    Those who struggle every day to make a better life for themselves and those they care about. The lyrics to Mr. T's "Treat Your Mother Right" define a hero no matter what color.

Just this weekend saw the second black head coach in three years to win a Super Bowl, and Michael Steele was recently elected chairman of the Republican National Committee.

I think Morgan Freeman said it best: "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I feel like I should read more about black history and broaden my knowledge.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Benjamin Banneker, one of the planners of Washington, DC. Funny how no one mentions him anymore. I first heard of him and his work a few months ago, and it was a major "holy crap!" moment.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Benjamin Banneker, one of the planners of Washington, DC. Funny how no one mentions him anymore. I first heard of him and his work a few months ago, and it was a major "holy crap!" moment.

Actually, they read about him a little in my daughters 3rd grade history class just not that long ago.

I was thinking of some of the first black congressman that were elected not long after the civil war and reconstruction. I can't remember their names right off, but you can be sure that it wasn't easy for them to be congressman so soon after the civil war.

Right afterward, it wasn't much of a problem, because the federal government aggressively defended voting rights for all, which in some states was a sizeable number of ex-slaves. It was beginning a few years later that they backslid something fierce and allowed states to set up "Jim Crow" laws that made it tougher.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I have two little nieces that are little coco puffs. Half black half white. The cutest little things you ever did see. I'm kookoo for coco puffs. Hally Berry watch out!
    They are being raised by their white mom, because their fathers are for whatever reason not around. Maybe because their families frown on it. (one's an intern at a hospital, so I know it's not economical reasons)
    I hope when they grow up they subscribe to being just Americans as Slicker alluded to (yay Morgan Freeman) By that time race is not used as a crutch, all will be equal, the world will be colorblind, genderblind, sexual preference blind, religious blind.

Maybe by then we will all just be called humans with no strings attached.