Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Types of Lego Collectors

One thing I've noticed here verses Lego sites I visit is the number of different types of collectors we have here. Frequently at other sites you have mostly people with large collections or large projects. Here we don't really have many people working on large projects. And we also have only a couple of major collectors. It seems like a many of the folks are more the casual Lego collector. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

What kind of Lego collector do you see yourself as?

You don't need to use simplistic boxes I defined. This a Lego thread, build your own box and stick yourself in it. Or others if you like.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I really don't know. I don't know that I'm this or that kind of collector. it's usually a bit of what i like and a bit of what's going to be useful with some bulk brick buying and special part searching. I see my projects as long term ventures and currently i'm slowly collecting what i need to build my city. but at the same time collecting for another large project. I'm not the sort of person who uses lego graph paper to plan things down to the last brick but i do make drawings and plan.
    I've had periods where i've not collected very much for a few years while i turn my attention to other stuff like star wars figures but Lego has been with me since i was a toddler back in the late 60's/early '70's. i even have most of the lego from back then that i was given. and kept hold of all the lego my two brothers had.
    I don't mutilate bricks or customise them but i'm not so uptight as some are about using non lego bricks and pieces. I have megablok pieces and clickbrick stuff and so on. whatever will help me achieve a shape i want really. though my containers of lego are 99% genuine Lego. I collect from many themes too. always have done even though my main interest over all these years has been town/city.

I wouldn't class myself as a very talented builder. I don't know many techniques for fixing parts together in clever ways and technical lego baffles me. but i'm starting to use more technical parts. find uses for them. I guess if I'd never started collecting star wars figures my lego collecting would have become my all consuming obsession.

As a kid, they didn't have Star Wars legos. I bought space legos and tried to convert them into Star Wars legos, and even painted a few to the gun metal greys of the Empire. Then I grew older, lost my space legos, and kept from buying them, that was until I saw the first Star Wars lego ships, I was excited as a young kid would be. I would like to get a few sets that came out recently, like the Vader TIE fighter. Haven't bought a set in a while due to my marriage, lack of space to display them, and finally money or lack there of.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

I'm a set collector. Have been since the early 80s. Prior to that, I would lump all my bricks into a big pile and build from that. But I began keeping sets separate and stored in their respective boxes ever since. The sets I got in the 80s are still like-new with nice boxes.

I just completed a count this week and including the sets I bought today, I have 751 sets with a total piece count of 176,786 elements.

There are probably a dozen or so sets that I don't know the piece counts of and I'm not counting all the loose basic bricks I have from my childhood.

i buy the occasional star wars set if i have budgeted money left over after buying the other toys i want. so i'm very hit and miss. i open and build all the legos i have and leave them out. i only build what the set is, never experiment to see what else i could create.

I just buy the odd set every now and then. I've had a collection of lego knights since the mid 80's. Now I just see a set that i like and add it to the collection. Usually i just buy a set because it has an interesting character or creature. Lately its been dragons, dwarves, goblins and trolls that I'm hoping to add to a big scene with a large castle complete with medievil village. [ if I ever have a big enough house to display it all in]

I've also bought the smaller sets of starwars and Indy Lego. Just because they looked good.

I've been getting LEGO's since I was a wee lad (since about 1987) and up until the SW sets came out I would by the odd set here and there. Once the SW sets came out I immediately bought every one of them with a few exceptions.

I've still got all of my old sets put together with the instruction booklets still with them. They're in storage and I'm not sure how they're taking it.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I as lad, I LOVED Legos (I called them by the incorrect plural name, until I found out the company didn't like that ). I kept all my blocks in shoe boxes divided by color (red, blue [with the green trees and flowers], yellow, black, gray, white, clear, and "special" [people accessories, one-of-a-kind parts, hard-to-locate small ones, etc.]), and was among severall friends who were all pretty good builders. My friends were less anal than I about keeping the same color scheme, but we were very talented in building stuff without instructions (lots of Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Transformers [some that transformed with moving pieces], GI Joe [many still have markings drawn on them], Buck Rogers, A-Team, Dungeons & Dragons, etc.).

Now, I only buy SW sets, and usually put a price limit of $25, mostly only the under $15 small sets, however. Therefore, I have few (offhand, I can think of: Naboo Starfighter, the 2 30th Anniv. Rebel Fleet Trooper and Stormtrooper ones, Snowspeeder, and... I forget). I build them once, put them back in the box. It's sad, but there's not much time beyond that.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Further to my earlier post, I got thinking about Lego purists. the people who will not even entertain talk of other brick brands and seem fit to explode if there's a sniff of someone cutting and glueing bricks. I was thinking mostly about the fleshtone debate. yellow traditional or modern fleshy pink. and so i started looking through pics of minifigs and realised there's now five skintones. *see picture below*

I actually think they're all great. At the moment I have all yellow skinned minifigs but if Lego made a box of minifig heads and hands with regular non movie faces in all four other colours I'd happily swap over. repopulate my city with a multicultural mix. I think Lego should be brave and do it. throw in tan, dark tan and dark brown too. people come in all shades and at this point in history multiculturalism is something everyone needs to embrace. start instilling tolerance of difference at an early age.

I know people are going to disagree. I know how difficult acceptance is for people. Tolerence is so much easier and less time consuming. I'm only thinking aloud anyway. and it's late.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fivexcitingflavours.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	19556  

I will not buy other construction toy brands. I would never mix LEGO and some other brand. In fact, I think the Halo Megablocks thread has no place in the LEGO section and should be moved to the non-SW collectibles section where the Transformers, GI Joe, and other toy lines are discussed. If it's not LEGO, it's junk.

I would never modify LEGO elements. I like some of the figure customs I've seen but I've always been reluctant to actually modify any toys myself.

The whole fleshtone thing doesn't really bother me a lot. I wouldn't have a problem integrating all the current skin colors in a Town display. Still, I think the non-yellow fleshtones should continue to be restricted to sets from the licensed themes.