Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

1975 Comic Book Ads

Through a series of events I ended up re-visting my comic book collection. In 1975 Avengers I found a variety of ads that were both amusing and strange. Check out my journey to the days of disco here:

http://www.tvandfilmtoys.com/Articles/retrocomic.asp

Enjoy!
    Engineernerd

Sell Grit! X-Ray specs! Sea Monkeys! Charles Atlas and the 98-pound weakling! Ads for the NBC Saturday morning cartoon lineup (Kid Video? Smurfs! Snorks? Mr. T's Gymnastic Kids Group Thingie With a Bulldog With a Mowhawk! Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears?). Mile High Comics books for prices I still kick myself for not buying back then!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

The NBC stuff and Mile High was more of '80's thing. But, yes I always wanted a pair of X-ray specs

Call it a cross-over then.

I may do scan or digital pic of some other ads, if I get around to it.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Those are rad! The fake beard one is a good starter.

$2 for a program in '75 seems REALLY expensive though. I mean, it's not going to be archival quality paper, it's not going to have a ton of art, it's not going to be especially exciting at all. $2 back then could get you a decent dinner, not to mention 4 crappy bumper stickers. And all that included shipping and handling, so the program must have been where they thought they could recoup a ton of cash.

One funny note, you can really tell it's the '70s by the fact that a COMIC BOOK CONVENTION ADULT T-SHIRT ISN'T BEING OFFERED IN EXTRA-LARGE!!!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

On something of a side note . . . JT, were you at a trivia contest at CIV? I remember a contestant saying how Star Wars fans needed bigger t-shirts, and now I've read you expressing a similar sentiment several times.

Nope, definitely wasn't me, I haven't successfully made it to any trivia panels/contests at any of the conventions I've been in the past 2 years, they always get counter-programmed, I have a Wookieepedia BTS trivia contest slated as "interested" for Monday, but I didn't make it to that one. (Yes, I still have my files for the schedule I created for CIV, I throw away nothing, not unlike Engineernerd and these comic ads ).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Not exactly from 1975, but I've always liked this ad. I'm sure anyone who collected comics in the 80s will recognize this one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987-FotM.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	19582  

Oh yeah! I remember that one well.
    Tommy, close your eyes.