I've been working on this for 8-10 months on and off...well mostly off...I haven't touched it in 6-7 months until recently. The prospect of getting more cantina figures in the current wave got me excited about it again. I was kinda "stuck" in the building phase partially and I was just tired of working on it. I'm back in full swing working on it and I have since found these forums and all of the great work that's done here and thought I'd share and also allow some critique to help me along the way.
Let me preface this with the fact that this is the first diorama I have built and I didn't find very many resources as to how to do it so I've been more or less "winging" it since the beginning so keep that in mind
The idea is for it to be the full cantina, inside and out scaled to the figures. Each wall of 3 alcoves will be removable, as well as the roof and possibly the dome over the foyer will be removable to be able to see in and take pictures etc.
I started out with the floorplan as drawn by Jason at Cantinacustoms. That site has been my "go-to" source for all things cantina related from the beginning of this project. I scaled up the floorplans and then photoshopped a 1" by 1" grid over the top so I could line it up correctly. I then printed it out in sections. After cutting out where I needed to trace (I sometimes needed to print the same section more than once to cut different sections out for this) I traced the whole thing onto 4 20x30 sheets of foam core; which makes the base 40x60, with some room at the front for the outside as seen in the movie.
After getting the whole thing traced, I then glued down sand (very amaturish compared to what I've seen on this site, I know) everywhere inside the cantina where the floor would be and then glued the plastic grate (the same sewing form that Daigo_Bah and others have used) over the top of the sand. I also built the steps leading up to the foyer and the foyer itself higher using foam core.
From there I started building up the walls of the foyer and some of the outside using styrofoam.
I think that brings us up to the first set of progress pictures. The descriptions are above the picture it corresponds to:
Here you can see the grate glued down over the sand and the built up foyer area.
and an arial view to see the most of it traced out with the grateing glued down over the sand. At this point not all the grating was down. Also you can kindof see where I elevated the bandstand a little.
here's a close-up of the grating with the sand under it. I stuck Ponda in for scale reference and to see what the arm would look like on it after it's cut off. I plan on pooring more sand to fill in the holes a little and then spraying some sort of adhesive over the top to hold it in....eventually if I ever get done with the rest http://threads.rebelscum.com/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
here you can see the beginning of the structure of the foyer and parts of the exterior.
here is the beginning of the exterior including the front door
more of the exterior including the curved are. You can see drawn onto the base where the jut outs of the wall will be where the pack animal is tied in the movie. Those will be added to the exterior stucture later.
here's the start of the back/right 2 alcoves including the bandstand and the one luke gets knocked into. I've stuck a couple of bith in for scale reference and to see how it looks. You can also see Greedo sitting on the outcropping of the arch...it's the wrong alcove but he's there just for reference.
here you can see how the structure of the alcoves is made.
here you can see how the section of alcoves lifts up
the inside of the section of alcoves...the inside arch in one of the alcoves was not in place yet
that was virtually all the progress that was made up until recently. I had made part of the back wall, the angled alcove on the same wall, and the other 3 alcoves, which because of how they were stored for 6ish months had to be rebuilt anyway.
The next post will show the progress I've made since restarting to work on it.