Page 118 of 141 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1403
    Currently raining, with occasional hail. It's around 40, and supposed to keep dropping tonight. And I have more unread new emails (42) in my inbox than degrees outside (41) now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-8-13g.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	27144  
    Last edited by Bel-Cam Jos; 02-08-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Enough to make a hail's angel!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Snowed here.

BTW, not exactly a nitpick, but I've noticed everyone I've talked to in SoCal referring to small bits of ice mixed in with rain when the temperature is around freezing as "hail." I've always heard it as "sleet" or sometimes the less-eloquent "freezing rain" elsewhere. Is this just a regional difference, or is it because SoCal peeps are generally unfamiliar with ice falling from the sky and use only one term?

I know it sounds b****y, but I'm curious.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I always defined hail as able to stay frozen once it hits the ground (often it'll stay a brief time, then just melt; I'd call that sleet). This kept the grass white for a good 10 minutes, I'd say. Somebody might just have photographic proof of such, in a book of faces' Miscellaneous album, seen from a front porch. :I'mJustSayin:

The front page photo today reminded me of Marvel's 2nd issue of GI Joe, with either SWAT or some more-than-just-police-officers in snow gear searching for that crazy former-cop on the run, around the Big Bear region (which has an expected high of 35 today).

The sun is SCREAMING AT MY FACE, but it's only low 50s right now.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    BTW, not exactly a nitpick, but I've noticed everyone I've talked to in SoCal referring to small bits of ice mixed in with rain when the temperature is around freezing as "hail." I've always heard it as "sleet" or sometimes the less-eloquent "freezing rain" elsewhere. Is this just a regional difference, or is it because SoCal peeps are generally unfamiliar with ice falling from the sky and use only one term?

I know it sounds b****y, but I'm curious.
    Sleet is just a raindrop that freezes on the way down, where the rain passes through a colder bit of weather on its way down. Hail is larger because it's raindrops that get carried by wind up into a colder part of the cloud over and over freezing more rain to the hailstone until it's too heavy to stay up, and the extra water frozen around the initial core makes it harder and larger. In SoCal, our weather is so warm that we generally get only hail, not sleet; you can also tell because sleet once it hits the ground melts very fast while hail takes considerably longer to melt.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sunny and 63 here
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

Very Spring-like during the day, recently. Upper 60s to low 70s. Still chilly at night by our standards (30s-40s).
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Mid to high 20's today but the sun was out and it wasn't cloudy so it felt much warmer then that.

The sun was warm enough today that I put on the car's A/C for the first time this year.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Yesterday's low-80s/upper-70s and sun will be the last warm day for some time; supposed to be upper-60s today with clouds, becoming colder and rainier mid-week.