Page 97 of 148 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147 ... LastLast
    I don't fear earthquakes. But I do fear tornadoes, cyclones, twisters, funnel clouds, etc. I've lived through at least one (perhaps two) in which I was in a mobile home trailer as a pre-tween, and I drove through a few "watches" and "warnings" before. No thanks.

Here, it's similar to TI's post: snow level down to about 3K ft., topping out at upper-40s today, but there's purdy skies above. Rain, rain seems gone away (come again another day means this coming weekend).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I don't understand stormchasing, seems like a good way to get hurt. Then again, we actually have tornadoes here in the LA area from time to time.

This weekend was crazy rainy, then cleared up, now it's sunny and low 60s.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I don't understand stormchasing, seems like a good way to get hurt.
    Believe it or not, there's an academic side to it. Yes, they're there for the thrill but also the science. I don't worry about them getting caught in a bad weather situation. I worry about the traffic and week end storm chasers who don't pay attention.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Today its warm and humid, but very pretty with lots of sunshine. Mid 70's.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Another photo from my son's adventure last week end:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hail 1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	26019  

Yesterday it was nice and sunny out, evening got cloudy and today we have some wind and rain which I've been looking forward to. Instead of the pool resurfacing bringing new rain like I had predicted, it was new concrete over the water mains on the walkway outside my window, but it's still funny that SOMETHING like that brought the rains again. I should water my plant, it's probably jealous having to look out the window at all the trees getting rain.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Believe it or not, there's an academic side to it. Yes, they're there for the thrill but also the science. I don't worry about them getting caught in a bad weather situation. I worry about the traffic and week end storm chasers who don't pay attention.
    Seems like the science is almost a secondary excuse with the storm chasers who are shown in the media. Those in the media talk about data in a nebulous way but they are very specific about the thrills, IMO that doesn't speak well to the quality of their data. Just doesn't seem worth the risk either way though.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Another photo from my son's adventure last week end:
    What is that? Is that a hailstone?!?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Seems like the science is almost a secondary excuse with the storm chasers who are shown in the media.
    There's the operative word: media. They are more interested in ratings than science. I can assure you, if you overheard my son and his buddies talking about various radars and computer softwares, the science does come first. A lot of science is dependent upon direct observation, especially meteorology. That's why they're out there. BTW: storm chasing isn't new. It just is on TV.

And yes, that is a hail stone. Lots of damage to property, crops, etc. result from those bad boys.

As for weather here today: partly cloudy after a rainy day yesterday of badly needed precipitation.

What do they do with the data? Do they publish papers or something?

Today's weather is sunny with clouds and low 60s. I need to get some patio furniture to enjoy a day like this properly.

What is that? Is that a hailstone?!?
    JT: Here's an image from a storm in south Texas yesterday. It produced golf ball sized hail, same as my son's photo. This photo is from the National Weather Service showing the resulting property damage.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Texas Hail.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	26039