Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

San Diego Comic Con 2009 and SirStevesGuide get-together

I just bought my 4-day pass plus sneak preview night (free with 4-day pass).

I'm really looking forward to being able to attend Comic Con in good health for the first time in 3 years. Last time, I could only go for 2 days because I had dialysis on Wed (sneak preview night) and Friday (Star Wars Day).

I enjoyed getting to hang out with Figrin Bran, El Chuxter, JediTricks, SirSteve, Deoxy, and more, plus meeting CrunchyNug at Wal-Mart for the Clone Wars Midnight Madness.

Plus my favorite part of last year's Comic Con was hanging out and chatting with Hasbro's Star Wars Team. Darryl, Brian, Mark, and "exclusives" Brian are always really cool.

This year I hope to be able to get into some Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles event or Smallville one, not to mention anything cool they might do for Star Trek and Transformers.

Meanwhile, I recommend waiting until they publish the schedule for each days' events before we try and set up the annual SirStevesGuide Comic Con picnic.

We may have to do dinner on Wed or Thurs this time, last year's lunch didn't work right due to shifting schedules of everybody, and Steve having sched conflicts from the other shooter not showing up (he fell down a flight of stairs on his way to the airport).

I just realized I said "we" when I'm still not sure if I'm going, it depends on whether I can steal that room from you again, T.

I always wait until they publish the con sched before making those decisions, I make up a calendar with all the stuff I may want to see in order of wanting to see it (it's color coded), and then find the open spots and try to fit it in there.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My invite list is kind of long for Comic Con this year.

I don't know who is going to respond "yes," but my list includes:

BobaFrett if he can make it (not looking like it at this point)

Karl, the former owner of the old comic shop I used to get my Star Wars issues at: he and his wife had to move to Idaho for economic reasons and his shop closed. I think his finances might be tough for him to pull off San Diego, as he's substitute teaching right now, and he might have classes to attend as part of his getting his credentials to becoming a full-time teacher. But he and his wife might still be able to come and he was very kind to me for many, many years. So I wanted to do something for him.

A "cheap" hotel during Comic Con might be as much as $90 a night for a single, but typically $200 for a nicer place. Thus I could save someone $1,000 in certain scenerios.

JetsAndHeels, as I've invited him out to San Diego, but during Comic Con he might really have a blast meeting folks from the site and everything.

Kidhuman and his wife Angela - the invite was open a few years ago but he was never able to swing it. When he's ready...

Slicker - who's stayed here before, and in the unlikely event he can pull off leave-time from the Navy at exactly the time of Comic Con.

SirSteve - as always, just in case he needs help swinging all the conventions he covers and a free room makes it easier. This time, should he stay, he should get a real bed and not the couch. But he was a gentleman and gave the bed up for my friend Kristel who arrived from Australia at the very last minute in 2006.

JediTricks - who has stayed with me for two years in a row now and is always welcome. I just wanted to offer others a turn if need be. But in most likely scenerios JT, you will get to stay here for another Comic Con.

My friend Halley who is also a friend of JT's and SirSteve's now and has stayed here for the past two Comic Cons as well.

And my appologies to anyone else I may have invited as well, but forgot about in this particular moment.

I have 2 couches I can put people on, and there's the floor (bring a sleeping bag if it will make you feel more comfortable). However, after the stress of both surgeries I'll have undergone by the time of Comic Con - though it might be almost 3 months after the last one - I might want to limit my house guest numbers to 3 or so - that's 2 to each bathroom (the most important thing).

But I also try to never turn a friend away. This year I might though - under the obviously stressful circumstances.

Anyway, the guest bedroom with queen size bed is still available at this point for those "ahead of JediTricks" on the guest list. Otherwise, I think you should plan on staying here, JT. When the time draws nearer, I will see if I can't print a large picture of Michael Bay to hang up in your room.

Halley has a room reservation with her boyfriend already (in that less-than-savory area south of downtown) but maybe things will fall through, so she might still take the offer.

Anyway, it sounds like I won't be going this year, that's quite a list of people you've invited out, and I can't really afford a hotel this year.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I think you missed the point JT: you probably have the room locked down right now:

BobaFrett probably can't make it because of his job

Karl, Probably won't make it because of his classes he's taking.

JetsAndHeels Seems to want to come some other time and just see San Diego and do things outside of another comic convention.

Kidhuman Has said nothing about any plans to come out here as of yet.

Slicker - Who's not likely to get military leave at precisely this time.

SirSteve - Who usually has a hotel and other workers in his crew to cover the non-Star Wars toy licenses.

Halley -who if planning on staying with her boyfriend might be most comfortable in a hotel afterall.

So like I said, you're favored to get the room JT. I just didn't want to let one or two friends always take it away from anybody else. If you want to "confirm now" (that means you register for Comic Con) you can reserve the room as soon as you do.

I don't think I can get my press registration yet, they just email me when it's ready for press to re-apply, but I'm already confirmed from last year so it's automatic, I'm confirmed for this year. I'm going if I can find a place to stay. It's just that you have a lot of potential guests on that list, people who are still in the possibly not but maybe category.

That's nice. Comic Con 4 day passes have sold out already (it's March 20! and the Con isn't until the end of July - 4 months from now.) Hotels are also being booked up.

From today's paper, indicators are that Saturday Passes may already have sold out and hotels barely have any vacancies left.

The speed which those passes sold out is crazy. I guess the con's 40th anniversary is bringing people out.

JT possibly not going? Say it ain't so!

Who would coordinate the luncheon/dinner? Mr. "take 30 min. to pick up Sideshow Aayla even though we were running late to the meeting spot in the park"???

I'll be there Thurs and Fri, btw.

I'm pretty sure JT will be staying with me for Comic Con. I was just trying to give others a chance, too. I thought that would only be fair.