Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

So who has been rendered "apathetic" towards new Star wars, film or TV show?

Anyone totally lost any faith that Star wars will ever get as good as Empire Strikes Back again? It certainly doesn't seem like it will as long as George has his way - he seems to have settled on the idea that since it was never meant to be as good as many of us feel it was (or could be) he doesn't need to try to make it that way - mediocrity still makes money so why bother. Does anyone else, like me, just not care about the upcoming TV shows since they're likely to just be an extension of modern Star wars and the ethic of modern Star wars entertainment i.e it makes money, the toys are cool thats all it needs to be?

Does anyone else, like me, just not care about the upcoming TV shows since they're likely to just be an extension of modern Star wars and the ethic of modern Star wars entertainment i.e it makes money, the toys are cool thats all it needs to be?
    Nope, not here. In fact my daughter and I enjoyed the new movie. She keeps reminding me that it will be released in December.

BTW, I just bought her the Clone Wars figures Anakin Skywalker and Ahsoka Tano and she loves 'em!
    May the force be with you.

Devo, have you played The Force Unleashed? I have a good feeling that at least some of your faith will be restored. (If you don't play video games, then get an adaptation or something.)

I don't know what the last SW book or comic was that I picked up. I used to be a hardcore reader of all things SW. Even of the last few I got, I've not read most of them.

I'm still buying some of the Hasbro toys, but I've cut back. I'm more excited by the GIJoe and Transformers Classics lines by a long shot, even with zero expectations for the Joe movie and knowing that it and the Transformers sequel will totally interrupt both lines for about a year in just a few short months.

I plan to pick up The Force Unleashed but, since no one had any great sales, haven't done so yet. I might wait until TRU runs one of their "buy one, get one half off" or "buy two, get one half off" sales they're so fond of, and get it with either Lego Indy or Lego Batman.

My daughter loves the McDonalds toys, though. She'll probably be old enough to actually watch the movies in a few months. I'll keep her away from AOTC and ROTS, though, so she can put off being a jaded cuss like me for a few years.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I actually thought the Clone Wars cartoon brought back a lot of the magic to Star Wars that's been missing for decades.

My interest in Star Wars has been on the decline since 2005. Currently my fandom is on life support.
    I still want to be a Star Wars fan, but the everything that has been released over the last few years has been so mediocre.

To say that the Clone Wars movie was underwhelming would be an understatement.
    Terrible, shoehorned characters like Ahsoka, subpar animation ("stylized" my *ss - the flesh and blood characters looked embarrassingly bad), and a cringe-worthy story (dialogue included) were worse than anything in the Prequels has all added up to me not giving a crap about the series. If I happen to be home and I notice its on, I'll probably watch it, but I won't make it a point.

The Force Unleashed also holds zero interest. The storyline was an instant turn-off. Vader's "Secret Apprentice?" Oh yay, another apprentice for Anakin/Vader to be shoe-horned into continuity (although this one is a bit more plausable). Plus the reviews seem to land on Good, not Great.

The toys are a joke. I've purchased two in the past few years (2-1B and two-piece helmet Vader) and had instant buyers remorse with one of them (Vader).

Publications are pretty bad also, but for some reason I still buy Star Wars Insider and Star Wars Legacy. Insider has been bad for well over a year now and the Lecacy story is damn slow moving. I'll probably stop buying very soon.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Devo, have you played The Force Unleashed? I have a good feeling that at least some of your faith will be restored. (If you don't play video games, then get an adaptation or something.)
    Alas I don't play computer games anymore, nor do I read novels generally so I can't comment on those. I'm talking mainly about films and tv shows.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I actually thought the Clone Wars cartoon brought back a lot of the magic to Star Wars that's been missing for decades.
    Hmm. I thought I enjoyed those but only because, unlike the prequels, they weren't pretending to be anything other than a cartoon. With the sheer amount of CG in the films I don't know why they bothered with real actors at all. But this doesn't say much for Clone Wars. Its just mindless repetitive action which I've heard the CG film is aswell. On that basis I feel I can skip the follow-on TV show for definite

I'd like to have been optimistic about the live action show but I expect Lucas will have a great hand in it, his writers will defer to him, he'll insist on a certain quota of slapstick kiddy humour and superfluous FX showcasing scenes etc etc. I'll give it a look because it'll have stormtroopers and TIE fighters but I just don't expect it to be good.

Seriously, though, any middling reviews for TFU are only in terms of the length of the game (I finished it in around 10 hours, but most people were quicker). And Devo, I haven't bought a video game in a long while, but this was an exception. The storyline is phenomenal, though. And the makers have said that George actually had a hand in it, and from all accounts, made it a hell of a lot better than what they were planning.

And there's much more to SW than just the movies and TV shows, if you're willing to look into it.

As to that, though, I hate the Legacy storyline and don't pay much attention to post-ROTJ EU (or any that's thousands of years before the movies). Insider does indeed seem like it's declining in quality but there's enough good in it still that I keep up with it (this one had a ton of interviews and the Star Tours information was cool). It's the same with it overall - if I don't like something here, there's something over there that's still great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post

As to that, though, I hate the Legacy storyline and don't pay much attention to post-ROTJ EU (or any that's thousands of years before the movies).
    I stopped paying attention to just about everything post ROTJ about 8 or 9 years ago now. However, the stuff that takes place thousands of years before the movies is actualy preaty darn good. Knights of the old republic one and two were great, and from what I'v read of Tails of the Jedi was just awsome.

As for the clone wars T.V. show, I plan to skip it entierly because I don't watch much TV at all. I may watch it if I find the seasons for ludicrusly cheap.

The live action I'm a little more interested in, but I'll wait and see what I hear about it, as I will have to buy it on DVD to watch it since I refuse to get cable or sattelite T.V. So, if I hear its the best darn thing since The Empire Strikes Back, I might be interested in it enough to fork over whatever they ask for the 1st seasonal box set. Otherwise?

I'll pass.

I've never been anything but apathetic towards it. If I see it while I'm flipping, I'll stop. Otherwise its simply joining the crowd of other shows "I may check out".
    It's a blacked-out blur but I'm pretty sure it ruled.