Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Ships

I always saw the Ent B as a step toward the Next Gen ships with the wider areas around the deflector dish. Now the Ent C seemed to be a cop out with the exception of the nacelles. I have to admit that the C seemed to be a better B. But as I mentioned elsewhere, the excelsior class always seemed a little like an aircraft carrier, with the flat top of the engineering section. Imagine a series that was Trek meets Battlestar. This is based on a supposition that the shields of a ship could be overloaded by multiple hits simultaneously, or somethin'.

Found a article on how the Excelsior became the Enterprise B, later turned into the Lakota for DS9. Nice close-ups, and info on the model, not to mention a great site for Star Trek:
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ise-b-details/
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Nice site, Blue!!

Here's another customized job on the Bandai Refit—with a dimmer-switch, no less. Pretty cool stuff: http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Models...4/Default.aspx

And check out what the Bandai Voyager is going for these days: http://cgi.ebay.com/Bandai-Star-Trek...3%3A1|294%3A50
    Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim.

AFI has pics of the finished version of the SDCC exclusive Enterprise from Mattel. They also have pics of a Batman set, I'm guessing in 1:50 scale as the Tumbler looks exactly like that version.

The Enterprise is interesting, especially with the way the packaging works, but overall it's rather cheesy. The bareframe decals are nicely done, but they seem to not quite work if you look at it from an angle. As well, the illusion is ruined by the graphic beneath the Enterprise that it seems is supposed to match the line's packaging.

As underwhelming as it is, though, I have to say it's the perfect type of exclusive. It's one of those things you're not heartbroken to not be able to get if it's impossible to acquire afterwards, but it's still fascinating enough to where it could easily be impulse buy if you happened to be there. The Batman set is quite the contrary as the 1:50 scale Batpod being a SDCC exclusive is quite obnoxious.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main/?p=3916
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    AFI has pics of the finished version of the SDCC exclusive Enterprise from Mattel. They also have pics of a Batman set, I'm guessing in 1:50 scale as the Tumbler looks exactly like that version.

The Enterprise is interesting, especially with the way the packaging works, but overall it's rather cheesy. The bareframe decals are nicely done, but they seem to not quite work if you look at it from an angle. As well, the illusion is ruined by the graphic beneath the Enterprise that it seems is supposed to match the line's packaging.

As underwhelming as it is, though, I have to say it's the perfect type of exclusive. It's one of those things you're not heartbroken to not be able to get if it's impossible to acquire afterwards, but it's still fascinating enough to where it could easily be impulse buy if you happened to be there. The Batman set is quite the contrary as the 1:50 scale Batpod being a SDCC exclusive is quite obnoxious.

Thanks for the head's up, LT... underwhelming but kinda interesting, as you say. Extra mozzarella. Shame the execution is so dodgy... the spacedock is a very kewl display idea. At first glance it's pretty bad, but then you start staring at the decals... weirdly fascinating... and not exactly good. Are they painted or just stickers? And where do you get workbees for that scale?

I'll say it again... someone at Mattel should be slapped for not getting the Trek XI ships out yet... could have gotten the new Ent in Earthdock and have a direct tie-in to the 2009 flick.

I hear that the HW ships are warming a lot of pegs at Target... I haven't seen them at retail at all up here. Is the line doomed?
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

Kinda underwhelming like you say. Won't be upset to miss it. The Bat Cycle though, that's nice. I already have the Tumbler in the tan and black HW 2-pack.

The HW ST ships kinda sit at least in the Targets I see them in. Though when a BOP appears, it's usually gone the next day. Those are popular. They need to get the 2009 Enterprise out. Are they holding it up because of the large Playmates one?

Not sure about Walmart, I hardly ever see them there.

Diamon Select Enterprise-D and TOS Medical Tricorder arrived. I'll post pics of the ship later
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Windu View Post
    Oh and the Intrepid-class did make an appearance, as the USS Belerephon in the episode where Bashir and Admiral Ross travel to Romulus.
    No, I didn't forget Bellerophon. It just wasn't shown in any fighting or fleet pictures.
    Member 104 of the SWC forums . . . but it's good to be back.

Good traders: DarkJedi5, jediguy, Jedi_Master_Guyute, jedimastergeorge06

What about the micromachines runabout?
    That is a good idea, let me check the numbers...
    Galaxy-class Starship: 642m
    Danube-class Runabout: 20m

Hmm, that'd make a Runabout scaled to it around roughly half an inch long. It was a good idea though, and probably will make a nice display either way. But for scale it's around 3x too big, a Runabout would be around the size of the Surak Vulcan warp shuttle MM minus its warp sled. The MM Runabout would scale better against the Ent-Refit probably. Come to think of it, the Surak would scale nicely to it as well.

I'm thinking of putting the HW Reliant near the Ent-D, and the HW Refit near the Ent-E, as those scales work a little better. The idea of the HW Refit being scaled to the DST Ent-E is a staggering one, it really puts in perspective how much bigger starships got from the 23rd to the 24th century.

Quote Originally Posted by clone157 View Post
    I always saw the Ent B as a step toward the Next Gen ships with the wider areas around the deflector dish. Now the Ent C seemed to be a cop out with the exception of the nacelles. I have to admit that the C seemed to be a better B.
    The Ent-C design is meant to bridge the look of the Excelsior and the Galaxy-class. The original design isn't so awkward, you can see its lines in the half-model in the Observation lounge, but because of time constraints, the model they built for Yesterday's Enterprise wasn't really done as accurately as they intended, and it comes off looking rather plain.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Found a article on how the Excelsior became the Enterprise B, later turned into the Lakota for DS9. Nice close-ups, and info on the model, not to mention a great site for Star Trek:
    http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ise-b-details/
    Interesting article from ol' Doug Drexler there, and I love that Mike Okuda posted a comment with some great backstory. I disagree with the author's contention over the Bussard collectors though, I like how the Excelsior breaks with tradition on its nacelles by having a band around it where the bussards could be sharing grille space with the warp coil chillers.

I hadn't seen Drexler's blog before, but it just made my day, the latest article has some fantastic CGI renders of the Ent-Refit from TMP Director's Edition. I've been looking for high-quality images of the Refit for so long, there simply aren't any out there that I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre o'the Phaser View Post
    Here's another customized job on the Bandai Refit—with a dimmer-switch, no less. Pretty cool stuff: http://www.culttvman2.com/dnn/Models...4/Default.aspx
    Nice work, but man is that an unattractive stand he made. Functional yes, but attractive, no. Why do the shuttlebay doors light up though? His photos of the lights on with no flash remind me of the Wormhole scene in TMP.

That is utterly obscene!

It's underwhelming, but I do kinda want it and probably will pick it up. The concept hits me where I live. Sad that they couldn't even be bothered to put on more details to the original, aside from the "still being built" deco addition.

Man, that Batpod set is nasty, totally scale fail. I highly doubt that tooling will remain exclusive, too expensive to leave that way, and it's not to scale so I'm guessing it's going to be a mainline addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Titanium View Post
    I hear that the HW ships are warming a lot of pegs at Target... I haven't seen them at retail at all up here. Is the line doomed?
    Around here, they move at their own speed, some stores they will move fairly well while others they will stall horribly - this is more true of Target, TRU is slow in general with this line, from what I've seen. The Reliants that have all fallen out of their packaging are somehow gone most of the time, after weeks of shelfwarming. The line I suspect will not tank this year but will struggle through Mattel's miserable distribution the way their action figure lines do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    The HW ST ships kinda sit at least in the Targets I see them in. Though when a BOP appears, it's usually gone the next day. Those are popular. They need to get the 2009 Enterprise out. Are they holding it up because of the large Playmates one?
    Not a chance that is the reason. My guess is they got the license late and the scheduling for design was easier on existing ships than getting unreleased designs from the new film. I wouldn't be surprised to hear their Chinese factories told them they could do a hurry-up on the tooling or manufacture and then either couldn't deliver on time, or suffered setbacks from the strikes.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Interesting article from ol' Doug Drexler there, and I love that Mike Okuda posted a comment with some great backstory. I disagree with the author's contention over the Bussard collectors though, I like how the Excelsior breaks with tradition on its nacelles by having a band around it where the bussards could be sharing grille space with the warp coil chillers.

I hadn't seen Drexler's blog before, but it just made my day, the latest article has some fantastic CGI renders of the Ent-Refit from TMP Director's Edition. I've been looking for high-quality images of the Refit for so long, there simply aren't any out there that I've seen.

They make the images easy to share too.
    Hadn't seen the TMP Enterprise article yet, that is cool.
    M Okuda seems to post there often. The knowledge there is way beyond my capabilities, so I'm just a happy humbled and intrigued lurker.

Did find an interesting shot of the bottom half of the Enterprise J that I hadn't seen before:
    http://drexfiles.files.wordpress.com...titled-150.jpg