Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The 2nd Annual SSG April Comedy Movie Challenge!

Welcome to the Second Annual (2009) SirStevesGuide April Comedy Movie Challenge!

All members are encouraged to participate!

The rules are simple:

Watch any feature length comedy movie between the month of April (1st-30th) and post your results here; with each entry including the day watched, the movie's title, and listed in numerical order. This is the basic format, please see the example below. Feel free to add your own comments about each movie watched, the year it was released, who starred in the film, and other miscellaneous information, if you so desire.

The qualifications are fairly flexible, with the only requirement is that the film is comedic in nature (in some sort of majority), whether it be a straight up Comedy (like Tommy Boy), a Horror/Comedy (like Shaun of the Dead) or a Dramedy (like Jersey Girl). There is definitely some flexibility here; common sense should be used.

Example:

April 1st
    1. Tommy Boy - (year) - comments, etc, if you want!

April 2nd
    2. Shaun of the Dead - (year) - comments, etc
    3. Jersey Girl - (year) - comments, etc

That pretty much sums it up. Most of you should be familiar with these challenges by now, but if you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Here is a link to last year's 2008 April Comedy Movie Challenge!

Again, the challenge will start on April 1st (@ 12:00am), in approximately one week, and will run until the 30th. Any movie started before 12:00 am on the 30th, but ends thereafter, will count!

Have fun!!!

"That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

I looked at my list from last year and ended up with 51 movies... not bad at all. This year I am setting my goal at a modest 30, which will be a one a day average. I would love to exceed 50+, but I don't see that happening, especially after what happened with the Academy Award Challenge. Again, I apologize for that one. RocketBoy would have easily won last year if he had stuck with it... he was on pace for 70+.

I am ready to watch some comedies though... I haven't been able to watch many movies the past few months, so I'm looking forward to this challenge.

There were lots of participants in last years April Comedy Challenge, and I hope this year will be the same!
    "That's the best deal you're gonna get. I won't tell you you can save yourself, because you can't."

Okay, not one of my smartarse comments (like "Showgirls should be a horror movie"), but would movies that were REALLY subtle satires, and the fact they were satires was completely lost on just about everyone until years later when the director said as much, be included? (I'm thinking mostly stuff like the first Starship Troopers, the first two Robocops, and the first Nightmare on Elm Street films.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I would probably be against the idea, just seems like it would add an unneeded gray area and confusion to what qualifies. Don't you think?

I can see it only in cases like the ones I cited above, where the director has actually said the movie was intended as a comedy. (And, in all three cases, it was only the first or first two in a long series of films and spinoffs.)

Like Robocop 1-2 are subtle spoofs on the excesses of the 1980s, and Verhoeven has said as much. But something like The Wicker Man, which was intended to be serious, would definitely be a "No," regardless of how funny it is.

Anyway, turning 180, you're probably right--unless the movie is "ha ha" funny and was meant to be, it's probably a bigger can of worms than we need. For instance, Demolition Man seems to fall in the same category, but I've never actually seen or heard confirmation from anyone involved in the making of it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

You make some good points Chux. But like you said, an unneeded can of worms will likely be unleashed.

If you want, we can make a couple of exceptions... like with Robocop for instance. and we can always be democratic and put it to a vote...

I say if you wouldn't find it in the comedy section at the store, then no.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Just a reminder, the challenge starts in a couple of hours (EST).

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]April 1st
    [/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]01. Superbad (2007) - Hilarious. I can watch this one over and over. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]April 1st
    [/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]01. Superbad (2007) - Hilarious. I can watch this one over and over.

[/FONT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]April 2nd
    [/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS]02. The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) - Great movie![/FONT]