Mystery Science Theater 3000 Kickstarter to bring the show back!

I'm sure many of you already know that they're doing a Kickstarter to raise funds to bring back Mystery Science Theater 3000. I imagine there are quite a few fans of the show here at SirSteves. They've raised the money for 3 episodes, so it's definitely coming back, but they're trying to raise the money for 12 episodes. I hope if any of you loved the show you'll make a donation. You get free stuff depending on how much you donate. And they're doing another marathon of episodes this Thanksgiving. Hope to see new episodes of the show again "in the not too distant future!"

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bringbackmst3k

I saw this last week and I love it. WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!

What's more interesting to me is that a day after Joel Hodgson started the Kickstarter campaign, Shout! Factory announced that they had purchased the MST3K brand - lock, stock, and barrel - from Best Brains Inc (aka Jim Mallon, the writer/producer who basically pushed Hodgson out). That announcement took the wind out of the campaign's sails, its trending went from $20 mil to $6 mil, and now it probably won't make the $5.5 mil needed to produce a whole season. But at the same time, it's Shout's first wholly-owned series which is very interesting as neither Shout nor Rhino produced that level of original content. So it's an interesting place to be.

I would have preferred Hodgson to have more clearly spelled out ahead of time where the money was meant to go, I think that would have taken the edge off a lot of early money that didn't back the campaign.

I also feel like having Jonah Ray as the new host, what looks to be Felicia Day as the new mad scientist, and new voices for the bots makes this feel more like a gimmicky charity show sketch for nerdboys rather than a true extension of MST3K.

And not getting the Cinematic Titanic or Rifftrax gang as a part of this from the outset further cemented this as a "wait and see" situation for me. I'm a fan, but not ready to put my money where my mouth is with so many question marks on this project.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Mark Hamill is doing a cameo on the next season of MST3K! They have raised over $4.75 million and is 87% funded. Nine episodes are locked and they are on the way to twelve.

Pledge now: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bringbackmst3k

I look at this like STNG. I am now on board with a new cast. The old cast has been invited to be a part of it. So far, no announcement anyone said yes, though Trace and Frank have said no.

No Trace and no Frank is a large part of what made the Sci-Fi Channel days so dreary.

This all-star all-nerd cast remains the worst part of this thing. Talented folks but totally wrong for this.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Scifi era was dark (literally, why was the set so DARK?). But the riffing was always funny. If it is funny, that's all I care about.

The all star cast is a good marketing tool. They may not need it as much later. And if the cameo in the viewscreen happens to be a famous person rather than Mike Nelson playing a bunch of bit parts, what's the harm?

And they already has a complete cast turn over by the time it left the air. There has already been two hosts, two Crows, two Servos, three Gypsies, and six Mads. So how can we complain about new ones?

Seasons 2-5 of Joel's Comedy Central era really were magic, and my favorite era. But like Star Trek, or Saturday Night Live, if done well, I am willing to accept different players. Hopefully it will be funny and hopefully the alum players will become a part of it and make some money off of it and their past and future projects because of it.

I found the riffing less funny and there was less of it during the SFC era, and the strange thing is that Bill Corbett who did Crow T Robot in that era is way funnier and more prolific with the riffs on Rifftrack and even in his appearance on @midnight. The split I think just kinda sucked the energy out of the show when they moved.

Good marketing doesn't mean much if they aren't a good fit, and that's the thing, they're being chosen because of marketing over fit.

The last 3 mads were a misfire.

I want to believe, but right now I feel like everything about this is clumsy and awkward and sending a weird message. The brand buy-out a day after the kickstarter, the very specific new celebs in place of writers who cared about the show's material first and foremost, the late reveal of where the money was going, it's all backwards.

I've been on a serious MST3K binge the last couple of weeks. Youtube is a great resource to watch all of the episodes I didn't even know existed.

As for a comeback, it greatly depends on the format. For me, the riffing is the most important aspect of MST3K and all of the skits and stuff that takes place to fill out the show are the least interesting parts to me. Of the two main hosts, I think I like Mike Nelson the best, but it's really hard to choose between the two. The main reason Mike edges out Joel is because all of those filler skits are far less irritating to me when Mike Nelson is host. Plus the riffing seems to be quicker and more frequent in the Mike Nelson episodes; but that could also be due to the different voices for Servo and Crow. It seems that in some of the earliest episodes, there were long stretches when I'd forget that the hosts were even there.

As for the mads, I don't have much interest in any of them. I think I liked Dr. Forrester more than Pearl, but don't care too much if they get replaced completely. They only exist to serve the premise, but outside of that I don't want to see too much of them.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split. - Robert E. Howard