Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I watched that Mermaids: A Body Found special on Animal Planet this evening. I kind of stumbled upon it while channel surfing and I still don't know what to make of it. The entire show feels like an elaborate April Fools joke. All of their "video evidence" just feels staged and the "mermaids" are all clearly computer-generated. The fact that these videos are supposed to be recorded at different times and in different parts of the world; but every single "mermaid" looks identical. So it's clearly one CG model of a "fish man" that they are compositing into these videos.

Plus, the whole "secret military cover-up" plotline is so overused that it just destroys the credibility of the theory right out of the gate for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Roboto View Post
    It was on Animal Planet? They only show documentaries, so it can't be fake.
    The sad part is there are people (apparently a lot of them) out there who took that show to be 100% real. So much so that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) actually had to make an official statement that mermaids don't exist after being bombarded by concerned phone calls.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    The sad part is there are people (apparently a lot of them) out there who took that show to be 100% real. So much so that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) actually had to make an official statement that mermaids don't exist after being bombarded by concerned phone calls.
    Yeah, they did a follow-up program with more "indisputable evidence" and mentioned the statement from NOAA. Of course, they tried to claim that NOAA wouldn't have bothered to make the statement unless they had something to hide. They also used the fact that all of the Kardashians tweeted about the show and Kim Kardashian dressed up as a mermaid for Halloween last year as "evidence" that people were believing their story, so we should all believe it too. Like I said, it's like an April Fools joke or a really subtle Saturday Night Live skit. I have a hard time understanding how anybody could take this seriously, but I have no trouble believing that people do.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I saw commercials for Galavant, a 4-part series on ABC starting last night. It seemed to consider itself a silly romp through a medieval world, in a fairy tale way (with the twist being that it's a musical), and being on at 8pm, to be somewhat "family friendly" in style. Not at all. Silly, yes. But they actually bleeped out certain words and pixelated the characters' mouths when said (although, contextually one could easily figure out what was said), came out and directly said other things or just vaguely "hid" them. I can imagine a family sitting down to watch, with some uncomfortable questions from the kiddos of "dad, what does that mean?" or "mom, why did he say that?" I'll give it next week to see if I catch the remaining shows. (p.s. another annoying facet: many of the ABC promos and commercials were also sung to the tune of one of the songs in it. Ugh.)
    "I went to Star Wars Celebration VII in Anaheim, and I didn't get even a lousy t-shirt."

I'm surprised there's a thread for this topic. If I had to pick one show I wouldn't normally discuss, it would have to be Ancient Aliens. It's the guiltiest of my guilty pleasure shows. I think I watch it because it reminds me of In Search Of... which I used to watch with my grandmother when I was a child. The show is definitely fun, though often very silly and far-fetched.

I used to watch Ancient Aliens, thinking it was a cool show about unusual topics, with a bunch of loonies tossed in coming to ridiculous conclusions. Then I did some more research and learned an awful lot of the "unusual topics" were presently falsely and often plain old BS. And the ridiculousness of Giorgio A. Tsoukalous wears thin, too, so there was little reason left to watch it.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I used to watch Ancient Aliens, thinking it was a cool show about unusual topics, with a bunch of loonies tossed in coming to ridiculous conclusions. Then I did some more research and learned an awful lot of the "unusual topics" were presently falsely and often plain old BS. And the ridiculousness of Giorgio A. Tsoukalous wears thin, too, so there was little reason left to watch it.
    I watched it for a bit but it grew old for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I saw commercials for Galavant, a 4-part series on ABC starting last night...
    The 3rd part was on last night, the noted one with Weird Al Yankovic as a monk (those scenes were okay). Series has improved a tad, but when you raise from a '3' to a '4' on the quality scale, that's not saying much.
    "I went to Star Wars Celebration VII in Anaheim, and I didn't get even a lousy t-shirt."

Since it sounds like no one else here was watching Galavant, I feel that I can spoilerize the "final" 4th episode: there will be a second season, so the "cliffhangers" remain hanging. Or cliffing.

I was watching it, just had to wait until my sister visited as we watch it together. Anyway, that last episode (the 8th) was unacceptable, they had to assume there was a good chance there wouldn't be a season 2 - which there almost certainly won't, judging by the ratings - and yet they still went ahead with an entirely anti-climactic ending that left the story not just on a cliffhanger but without significant resolution to anything. It sours the whole series for me, and that's too bad.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

Kylo Ren - came from Space Brooklyn, although he moved to Space Williamsburg before it was trendy.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Anyway, that last episode (the 8th) was unacceptable, they had to assume there was a good chance there wouldn't be a season 2 - which there almost certainly won't, judging by the ratings - and yet they still went ahead with an entirely anti-climactic ending that left the story not just on a cliffhanger but without significant resolution to anything. It sours the whole series for me, and that's too bad.
    I agree.

Do so many people watch streaming, that they saw this as an 8-part "series," instead of the four 1-hour shows it appeared as on TV? It was always weird how the 30-minute mark had a "pause" that transitioned immediately into the rest of the show.

My "stats" on it?
    - overall concept idea: 4 (out of 5)
    - actual presentation of idea 2.5
    - storyline: 2
    - visuals and costumes: 3.5
    - dialogue: 1.5
    - appropriateness for their target audience/time in which aired: 1
    - song quality: 2.5
    - guest stars: 3
    - leads and repeat actors: 2
    - potential desire for continuation: 1.5