Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

American Idol....die die die

How I loath thee!

Well, nice, for the second week in a row Fringe was pre-empted due to this carp show and I'm sick of it! Luckily it was a minor 3 minute delay, and fortunately I set my DVR to record up to 30 minutes past the end time for Fringe.

Last week I lost a good chunk of Fringe because of AI.

When will this turd die?

Not anytime soon I'm sure, seeing as how it is FOX's crown jewel.

I'm not sure who to hate more, Simon Fuller for creating it, FOX for airing it, or the mindless sheep who follow it and keep it's ratings at the top of the charts while quality TV is going down the tubes.

Reality TV makes me want to vomit, from "The Real World" up through and including "American Idol".
    May the force be with you.

Simon Cowell will be leaving, so it will probably die after that.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

It doesn't suck any more than anything else on network TV.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I can't believe people still watch this show.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Quack's Arcade

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    How I loath thee!

Well, nice, for the second week in a row Fringe was pre-empted due to this carp show and I'm sick of it! Luckily it was a minor 3 minute delay, and fortunately I set my DVR to record up to 30 minutes past the end time for Fringe.

Last week I lost a good chunk of Fringe because of AI.

When will this turd die?

Not anytime soon I'm sure, seeing as how it is FOX's crown jewel.

I'm not sure who to hate more, Simon Fuller for creating it, FOX for airing it, or the mindless sheep who follow it and keep it's ratings at the top of the charts while quality TV is going down the tubes.

Reality TV makes me want to vomit, from "The Real World" up through and including "American Idol".
    I agree, same thing happened to me. Missed the ending last week. Extended the timer for 15 minutes to catch the ending this week.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Luckily, I didn't have to rely on the DVR to record Fringe as there is nothing else that I currently watch on Tuesdays.

This show is part of the reason I think that other programs have trouble on Fox. They stick it on two or three nights a week for a while, thus giving shows normally in those slots an extended hiatus. Since Fox has less prime time space than the big three networks, that doesn't leave a lot of room for other programming.

While I don't really care for the show, and have only watched the end of a program while waiting for another show to come on, I don't have as much to complain about the content as a lot of other reality shows. There was a time when everybody and their brother had a variety show. It makes for good entertainment that the whole family can watch. I just don't like the "Idol" concept, since I am more of a rock fan. The fact that a lot of runners up have more success than the winners shows a certain flaw in the program.

It's because the first and second place winners are tied into a contract with 19, who have so far been too stupid to realize why people voted for certain contestants and have forced them into bland pop albums, taking such a short-sighted view that they'd rather dump them after one album tanks than make an album that is actually consistent with the performer's style. Kelly Clarkson fit easily into a "Pat Benatar lite" mold, modern country is simply bad adult contemporary with a twang, and what passes for modern R&B is so on its last legs that all these folks fit. But for a Bo Bice, a southern rocker who actually topped the Allmans on "Whipping Post," or a Taylor Hicks, who would be the reincarnation of Joe Cocker if the guy were dead, it doesn't work. (Funny thing is, both their second albums, recorded and released after the company dropped them, are rather good. Hicks even used his $1 million from his first album contract to hire Eric Clapton's old producer to get a more authentic "old school" feel.)

I may loathe Daughtry and his weak Nickelback-style "rock," but losing was the best thing he could've done--he could release an album on his own terms. Same for Melinda Doolittle or Jennifer Hudson, both old school R&B singers.

Essentially, if you suck, go ahead and win. If you actually have talent, wash out before the final two. You'll have the exposure to get a contract somewhere, even if it's not a million dollar contract. Unless you're Kelly Clarkson, who is so far the only performer to not blow chunks when placed in the mold.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Simon Cowell will be leaving, so it will probably die after that.
    if Simon Cowell leaves the show will fall, but I can FOX bowing down to the almighty Cowell demands and paying him a large amount of cash to stay with the show
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It's because the first and second place winners are tied into a contract with 19, who have so far been too stupid to realize why people voted for certain contestants and have forced them into bland pop albums, taking such a short-sighted view that they'd rather dump them after one album tanks than make an album that is actually consistent with the performer's style. Kelly Clarkson fit easily into a "Pat Benatar lite" mold, modern country is simply bad adult contemporary with a twang, and what passes for modern R&B is so on its last legs that all these folks fit. But for a Bo Bice, a southern rocker who actually topped the Allmans on "Whipping Post," or a Taylor Hicks, who would be the reincarnation of Joe Cocker if the guy were dead, it doesn't work. (Funny thing is, both their second albums, recorded and released after the company dropped them, are rather good. Hicks even used his $1 million from his first album contract to hire Eric Clapton's old producer to get a more authentic "old school" feel.)

I may loathe Daughtry and his weak Nickelback-style "rock," but losing was the best thing he could've done--he could release an album on his own terms. Same for Melinda Doolittle or Jennifer Hudson, both old school R&B singers.

Essentially, if you suck, go ahead and win. If you actually have talent, wash out before the final two. You'll have the exposure to get a contract somewhere, even if it's not a million dollar contract. Unless you're Kelly Clarkson, who is so far the only performer to not blow chunks when placed in the mold.
    Yes, and Clarkson got a lot of criticism for that previous album that she insisted on doing her way. I just listened to the clips from My December, and it sounds pretty good for a pop album. I saw a review on iTunes calling it too angry and that she should stop trying to be a punk rock chick and go back to her pop roots.

Wouldn't that be color damaged roots? Oh wait, not talking about hair...

It should go away so the people who think this is the only way they can "make it" in life, can go away. If your only ambition is to be on a TV show than fade into obscurity, than please, accelerate your fading into obscurity. Most people, even those on the show, will never have the talent of the Jonas Brothers, never mind anyone with actual singing and song writing talent!
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)