U3P0 Color Variation

A yakface member reported getting U3P0 parts that were different colors, silver and "champagne". The silver pieces came from Target and the champagne colored ones came from WM. Thought you all would like heads up in case you were wanting your U3P0 to be all one color.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u3p0var1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	20252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	u3p0var2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	20253  

Hmm, that's really cool. We asked in the Q&A a while back about him being bronze/brassy but they didn't address it. I still am unsure on the actual coloring of the droid in the film - is he silver and reflecting C-3PO's gold coloring, or is he ever so slightly brassy? I kind of think that the brass version would be more visually interesting, since we already have TC-14 and we'll likely eventually get E-3PO. I still haven't found anything from this wave but hopefully I'll get all the parts in the same color.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

If he was reflecting, his color wouldn't be even the way it is. He's an "off-silver" brassy color in the film, and Hasbro's coloring change reflects this. Naturally I have the pure silver color parts so far.

"Champagne" is a good descriptor for this color, it's more in line with modern auto colors.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    If he was reflecting, his color wouldn't be even the way it is. He's an "off-silver" brassy color in the film, and Hasbro's coloring change reflects this. Naturally I have the pure silver color parts so far.

"Champagne" is a good descriptor for this color, it's more in line with modern auto colors.
    Well, if you watch the scene closely, he does appear to be straight silver a few times - most notably when he turns away and walks into the door. Even within shots, different parts look to be different colors.

Here is a publicity/behind the scenes shot that shows C-3PO's coloring reflecting off of U-3PO.

I got some screenshots, which is frustrating, since he seems to change colors even within shots. He looks mostly bronze in 1, 2, 6, and 8, but mostly silver in the others. These were all taken from the retouched DVDs; I'll check the original version shortly to see if there's a difference.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	20305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	20306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	20307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	20308   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	20309  

Here are the rest of the pictures.

Picture 10 is a shot from the original version; I tried to match picture 9, but it's about one or two frames off. Overall, he seems to be more brassy in the original version - even in the more silver shots, he has a slight hint of the brass in there (I didn't include those pictures, but you're all big boys with your own DVDs so I can only do so much work ). The included picture was the shot with the starkest difference between the versions.

So, I'm thinking that when they touched the film up either in 1997 or 2004 (but probably 2004), they did something to where he looks more silver, but it seems that he was originally more brassy. It's still very, very light, though.

Then again, the overall color of the original version DVD is just a little muted and off; in the thumbnails, at least, you can see how the 2004 edition has white walls while the 1977 version has some pink or something, which could lead you to believe that U-3PO is not straight silver. This is more frustrating than the Han Hoth thing - at least with that, I've seen the actual brown coat prop. For the love of God, bring U-3PO out whenever you do another tour!

I have to wonder, since they reused droids and props now and then, if they used the same costume for E-3PO in ESB, just changing the eyes? I always thought U-3PO was completely silver until JediPartner mentioned the color difference a few years ago.

If they could have made the figure more silver with a hint of brass, then that would have been better. I think both versions are just a tad off.

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	20310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	20311   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	20312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	20313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	20314  

IMO, he's got a slight yellow tone which cinches it, and even the SE version he's off-silver compared to other silver elements like R2's dome.

Pretty sure the ESB costume is a different one, I think they changed the head, hands, and midsection from ANH to ESB.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.