Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Playset? What playset??!!! (A rumour)

From Adam May over at Galactic Hunter:
    Now, we have all heard rumblings that the good people at Hasbro are putting out a playset at the end of the year (when big box items sell their best). I hope that they will do their best to make sure we get the most bang for our buck. (Ultra General Rieekan and his magic screen anyone?)
    With that kernel of a rumour, I have to ask if anyone else had heard about or read about such a thing. I try to read all the Q&A columns, but I sometimes miss something.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

If there really is one coming I bet it's Clone Wars themed. That's where the kid market is and that's what playsets target. I personally won't get excited unless it's confirmed to be an OT set.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I will remain skeptical. Hasbro has told us over and over and over...no playsets.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I've never been a big fan of playsets, as I collect pretty much just basic figures. However i'm interested to see how this rumor turns out only because Hasbro has denied wanting to pursue playsets for the longest time. Same as the Sarlacc, they said they had no faith in the concept but did one anyway and it turned out pretty well (the Sarlacc itself did, I'm not talking about the quality of the figures or value of the set as a whole). Despite the price, they sold out in my area in no time. Too bad I'm hearing the opposite from other collectors.

I would say this would almost have to be Clone Wars based. Most of the upcoming battle packs are from the Clone Wars, and the upcoming Deluxe line is Clone Wars. Hasbro has stated that they plan to focus these higher price point lines on just Clone Wars for now because Legacy/Movie stuff isn't selling as well.
    Most wanted "bottom-of-the-barrel scrapes": ANH: Kal'Falnl C'ndros, Revwien (concept art), Tzizvvt ESB: Wiorkettle, Treva Horme ROTJ: Cane Adiss, Loje Nella TPM: Edcel Bar Gane AOTC: Rogwa Wodrata ROTS: Mon Calamari Dancer, Veedaaz Awmetth, Eeusu Estornii EU: Guri (red outfit), Ket Maliss

Gee, another Target UBP slated for holiday release? Or is the A10 Juggernaught big enough that it could be called a playset?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Even if it IS a Clone Wars based playset, I certainly could be interested in purchasing it if it were done well. I can have an EU Imperial Base or something for some of my figures.

[FONT=Courier New]I seem to recall (and I have no idea where I might have read this...) that it's possibly a playset that is compatible with the AT-TE and Republic Gunship toys and may possibly be called "Forward Base Alpha". I apologize for having absolutely no way to back this up, but I do remember about this online.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]I read Adam's post on GH and that reminded me of this playset I remember reading about.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]Does anybody else remember something about this?[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]UPDATE... Okay, I googled "HASBRO PLAYSET FORWARD BASE ALPHA" and got two hits from last July:[/FONT]
    http://forums.jediinsider.com/index....=118&t=2053075

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/fo...t=37638&page=7

Looks like I remembered what I read almost exactly.
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I think that the "forward Base Alpha" is a feature on the AT-TE it's the detachable command pod if I remember correctly.

Actually I looked around and found this excerpt taken from an RS report: "One of the most-requested vehicles for the past 4 years now, the Clone Turbo Tank is finally making its way into the action figure line! This behemoth includes a repainted Tank Gunner, a repainted BARC Speeder Bike, and a removable command center (rumor-mongers take note: THIS is the previously-rumored "Forward Base Alpha" playset from one of our earlier reports)"
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

[FONT=Courier New]Well if THAT is the case, then that is a bummer.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]My wild imagination dreamed up something that had a landing pad and docking areas for the gunship and AT-TE. That'll teach me to dream big.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I would've even settled for a command centre of sorts.