Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any new valuable toys?

I haven't been in the collecting loop for well over 5 years now. I've been checking out the latest line of action figures, the Legacy Collection. I was wondering if any of these toys hold second sale value. That is, are any toys out there worth much more than their retail price?

I'm referring to any of the currently selling Star Wars lines, but I prefer to focus on Legacy Collection. Have there been any really rare figures from this line?

1. Yarna
    2. Bail Organa
    3. Breha Organa
    4. Pons Limbic
    5. Ak Rev

Those figures are a goldmine, buy as many as you can get your hands on. Also, if you're one of the lucky few to have ever found the extremely elusive 2006 Moff Jerjerrod figure, then you might as well start planning your retirement now.

Sorry, in all seriousness, collecting toys for investment value is purely a fool's quest. None of the toys you see on the store shelves right now are ever going to be worth anything.

The only recent toys that MIGHT obtain some decent secondary market value are not even Star Wars related. Look for the 2008 Temple of Doom wave from the cancelled Indiana Jones line. But you're not going to find them anywhere close to retail prices now.

If you want value, collect Lego's. They're about the only line that has seen a profit.
    Hasbro, Wuher needs help, bring us Ackmena http://www.petitiononline.com/Ackmena/petition.html

Kenobi must be the Smith or Johnson of Tatooine

I agree with BibB. I've never liked those that just buy something to try and sell it again *cough*hotwheelsguysthatonlybuytreasurehunts*cough *
    Quote Originally Posted by Banthaholic View Post
    If you want value, collect Lego's. They're about the only line that has seen a profit.
    True dat. I've got all of the early sets and could make back 3 times what I paid for 'em but I don't think I'd ever do that.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

That's too bad. I remember back about 10 years ago where some of the action figures from the Power of the Force II and Episode 1 line were rare and valuable for a short time.

Now, there's no monetary value in collecting these toys.

Quote Originally Posted by SunCrusher View Post
    That's too bad. I remember back about 10 years ago where some of the action figures from the Power of the Force II and Episode 1 line were rare and valuable for a short time.

Now, there's no monetary value in collecting these toys.

Well, there's a reason it was for a "short time". The same reason the housing bubble eventually burst. At some point demand just drops out, especially when it's an artificially inflated price for something as stupid as toys, or Beanie Babies. Hasbro was rightfully more concerned about putting more toys in the hands of new customers than how valuable they were on the secondary market.

Honestly, if you want to invest in something, may I suggest government bonds and CDs? (That's certificate of deposit, not those shiny discs that play music)

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    At some point demand just drops out, especially when it's an artificially inflated price for something as stupid as toys, or Beanie Babies.
    Would you say comics fit into the same category?

Yes. Especially in this day and age of digital downloads, home printers that equal the quality of industrial ones, and comic companies flooding the market every time a "major" event arrives.

Scarcity drives the price. Older comics might still be rare (but good luck finding someone willing to pay for it), but demand is going down when you can print your own copies. There were CDs that came out a while ago from Marvel with the ENTIRE run of X-men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Spider-man up to that point on them, original ads and all. You could just print out perfect copies of the issues and nobody would be wiser.

Sorta off topic, but were those CDs officially released by Marvel? I'm interested in acquiring those. Are you referring to these?

http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Comic-B.../dp/B0000DFHQ3

And yeah, it seems like there really isn't any scarcity left for this type of collectible. Toys, comics.. it's all mass produced, destroying the value. So sad, in my opinion. One may argue that benefits the children who can always find what they want, but I see store shelves bursting with toys that nobody is buying.

Yeah, they were legit. There was a press release when Marvel Digital was started that they no longer had the license.

I'm all for lack of scarcity. These things are made first and foremost to entertain. Catering to adults who enjoy fighting outside Toys R Us at 9AM, taking the toys away from children who just want their favorite character is thankfully a thing of the past.

If you want the "thrill of the hunt" or whatever that is, take up real hunting or just pick a product that isn't directed at children. But don't take something that is supposed to be bringing joy and excitement and destroy it with greed.