Thread: Trek Fest 2009

Hybrid View

Trek Fest 2009

Anyone making the trek to Riverside, IA June 26-28, 2009?

My wife and I plan to go for the parade Saturday morning. This year's guests are George Takei, Walter Koehning, and Nichelle Nicholls (the original Sulu, Checkov and Uhura).

www.trekfest.com
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

That sounds really cool, I hadn't heard about this.

It saddens me that you had to say who those actors played. Maybe it's because you garbled the spelling of their names. J/k

I look forward to hearing your report.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I just learned 2 days ago that Walter Koenig's son played Boner on Growing Pains.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    I just learned 2 days ago that Walter Koenig's son played Boner on Growing Pains.
    Really?!?!?!?! How did you come across that golden nugget of info? Also, what is Boner doing now that he's all grown's up?

I'm just going to the parade and hanging around till me and the pregnant wife can't take the heat and humidity.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    Really?!?!?!?! How did you come across that golden nugget of info? Also, what is Boner doing now that he's all grown's up?
    I was reading a list the other day on Topless Robot.com of the "best" (a term with a broad range of interpretation as I quickly learned by watching them) fan films ever made...and they listed the 8 minute fan-made Batman movie in which Bats fights against an Alien, a Predator, and Boner from Growing Pains. He really did fight against a Predator and Alien, no joke, and the other villain was The Joker, played by Andrew Koenig. I IMDb'd his name and sure enough, he is the spawn of Chekov. As to what section of the Where Are They Now? file that he's been residing in, IMDb said he's doing improv comedy in Cali.

Sorry to hijack your thread pbarnard, it's rare to see Convention posts so it's cool to see some life here. I go to Wizard World in Chicago ever year (since 2002) and I once saw Walter Koenig and Nichelle Nichols there. I didn't get their autographs but a friend did, so I said hello to them and they were very cordial.

And I can't pretend like I never heard of that Batman movie, because I actually saw a few seconds of it before, playing at a dealer's table at...you guessed it...Wizard World.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    I didn't know that Andrew Koenig was his son, that's pretty cool.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Wife is working on the pictures. Nice little parade. Very different from a lot of small town festivals in that they aren't really trying to cash in (blatantly). Impressions were that Takei was outward and interacting with any and everybody. Yell at him, he'd respond. Nicholls was smiling, waving, would say something if they screamed "We Love You", while Koening looked like he wanted to be anywhere else. I didn't go to the question/autograph session.

High point, the "anouncer" of the parade mangled Takei's name, it came out Tack-y. He than shouts out, "You're cute, but I'm not going to take you out later for that!" to which everyone around laughed, the announcer seemed to have missed something.

Beyond that a lot of rural fire departments and volunteer ambulance services, kids t-ball leagues, and Shriners. The Cedar Rapids, IA 501st Garrison was there with Starfleet Logos on their left chests.

Sounds like fun, not at all what I was expecting. I've gotten so used to everything being so corporate and trying to sell the public on something.