Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm going to Germany

Okay, so I found out today that I am projected to go to Germany early next year. Nothing's set in stone yet, as anything can change, but it's a safe bet.

I have wanted to go to Germany ever since I joined the Army back in 1993! I am really looking forward to this! Germany is a 3 year tour, so I may be looking at retirement once I am done with Germany. We'll see.
    May the force be with you.

Hopefully a nice safe trip for you!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

Start brushing up on your German!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

Yeah, I'm lucky, one of my Soldier's spent 20 years in Germany, his wife is German. Before he came back onto active duty he was a translator for the Army. I am going to have him teach my wife and I before we leave, which isn't until April next year, plenty of time to begin learning.

We also plan on teaching both of the kids.

Then we will have 3 years to to become fluent!

I spent two years in Darmstadt, Germany from 1991-93. It was my first duty station and it kind of ruined me for the rest of my time in the Army, because it's just so nice there.

I recommend traveling as much as possible. I highly recommend Berchtesgaden.

Any idea where you'd get stationed?

gonna get yourself a new car while over there?

Any idea where you'd get stationed?

Looks like I will be at Heidelberg Hospital. From the Army's website:

Heidelberg, one of the most beautiful cities in Germany, is nestled in the heart of the Neckar Valley about 70 miles south of Frankfurt. It is home to vineyards, medieval castles and fortifications.

The city, a longtime haven for tourists, features the famous Heidelberg Castle, built during the sixteenth century. It combines Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. Another historical landmark is the University of Heidelberg, the oldest university in Germany, dating from 1386. Boat trips along the Neckar River highlight many points of interest in and around Heidelberg and are fun for the whole family.
    I plan to do as much traveling as possible. Like I said, this is pretty much my dream assignment...besides Japan, but I have wanted this much longer...like I said, since 1993, when I joined.

gonna get yourself a new car while over there?
    I just bought a new car. I may look into it though, depending on the finances.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Looks like I will be at Heidelberg Hospital. From the Army's website:

I plan to do as much traveling as possible. Like I said, this is pretty much my dream assignment...besides Japan, but I have wanted this much longer...like I said, since 1993, when I joined.

I just bought a new car. I may look into it though, depending on the finances.
    Heidelberg, nice! I was there when they moved the main Army hospital from Frankfurt to Heidelberg, so I've been there a few times. Especially when I broke my hand near the end of my tour and had to go through occupational therapy. Anyways, there was a big comic book store in Heidelberg when I was there, maybe it's still around.

BTW, if you had said Hohenfels, I would have felt sorry for you.

You also won't be that far from Frankenstein's Castle, which is near Darmstadt (maybe a 30-40 minute bus ride, I can't really remember).

One word of caution if you intend to buy a car in Germany, you are going to have to pay the German taxes when you buy it, but you will also have to pay American sales taxes on the car to get it shipped back to the US. So, unless the rules have changed, you're probably going to get taxed twice for one car. You also might have to do a lot of work to the car to get it up to American standards (replacing all the windshields for one).

Keeping in mind, I was there over 16 years ago, so maybe a lot has changed.

Ich spreche deutsch. Ich habe dieses Fremdsprache im Hoch Schule und bei dem Universitat gestudiert.

Ich verlasse viel aber ich kann alle nicht vergessen.

Aber ich liebe den Krieg der Stern.

Und Herr Michael Bay ist auschgescheisschnit!

Danach kommen meine Freunden bei SirStevesGuide.com.

Babel fish says:

I speak German. I gestudiert this foreign language in the high school and with the Universitat. I leave much however I cannot all not forget. But I love the war the star. And Mr. Michael Bay is auschgescheisschnit! Afterwards come my friends with SirStevesGuide.com.

From all of this I gather, that you speak German and that you studied German in high School as well as College.

You have forgotten a lot, but not everything.

You love Star Wars.

I'm not sure why you think Michael Bay is gay, nor what that has to do with anything, other than he may be here trolling SSG looking for new friends.