Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Help my laptop died suddenly

Running a Dell that is 4.5 years old with XP laptop that was designed for Engineers and Scientists (but later the model was discontinued due to low sales).

My laptop died last night. I was synching my phone and itunes when I got the blue screen of death saying a *.sys file was corrupted. I restarted in safemode, than tried a restore and reboot, only to have a different sys file missing. Rinse wash repeat 2 more times, same results.

So looking/fishing for advice. Do I bother with a totally clean install of XP that came with the computer or do I just smash it into oblivion and start anew?
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Check to see if you have the XP Operating System Disk.
    If you do, place it in the disk tray and restart the computer. It should take you to a boot up menu. Run a repair on it. It should work. I just did it to my desktop two weeks ago with the same problem.

That being said, a laptop that is 4.5 years old has had a pretty good life. If you have the means, smash it and buy a new one. A complete reinstall might fix it temporarily, but your problem could be that the hard drive is dying.
    Good luck.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Check to see if you have the XP Operating System Disk.
    If you do, place it in the disk tray and restart the computer. It should take you to a boot up menu. Run a repair on it. It should work. I just did it to my desktop two weeks ago with the same problem.

That being said, a laptop that is 4.5 years old has had a pretty good life. If you have the means, smash it and buy a new one. A complete reinstall might fix it temporarily, but your problem could be that the hard drive is dying.
    Good luck.
    Also dells from that time were notorious to have a bad hd or two.

When the system boots (from a power off mode) do the Keyboard command Ctrl+D at the same time and run the hard disk diagnostics to let you know if the Windows error is because the file is sitting on a bad section of the hard disk or something else.
    Collect 2 Collect (if you see someone damaging stuff kick them in the shorts!)
    Great Traders Slicker,KIDD,Rebo's_Guitarist,TURBOWARS,OC47150,
    bobafrett,Jay86,Lman316 & Dark Marble!

I tried all that first. No go. So I'm stuck with a reformat, that was started 2PM yesterday and is only 64% done as of 8 AM today. *sighs* Looks like my new car fund will see a small withdrawl.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    I tried all that first. No go. So I'm stuck with a reformat, that was started 2PM yesterday and is only 64% done as of 8 AM today. *sighs* Looks like my new car fund will see a small withdrawl.
    16 hours?!? It's your hard drive. There is no reason for a reformat to take that long.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

That's pretty much my thought.

Time to run a poll...which sledgehammer should I use...

What are the machine's stats? Some laptops are worth saving, although honestly I cannot imagine one over 4 years old being svelte or having good battery life at this point.

In any case, unless you're a smashing-freak, it would be best to send it to electronics recycling after removing the harddrive if it has personal data on it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Off top of my head 2GB RAM, Pentium M processor, 60GB HD, XP professional, 15" screen, DVD/CDR bay, IR, bluetooth, 4 USB, weighs about 4lbs.

Batteries are good because I've run it mostly off the power supply (and I have 2 batteries anyways).

Sounds like a decent machine, actually. Depends on the processor speed for my final verdict, but off the bat I'd say it's worth saving. Hard drives are super cheap right now (for xmas, I got a 320gb for my old laptop that was well under $100) and if you can access them, very easy to replace.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

What's funny is I came home from work, and XP was installed. Now it's the hassel of going through and getting all the drivers, updates, etc installed.