Page 19 of 96 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast
    How about Dan O'Bannon (writer of Aliens and other stuff) dying last month?
    That really flew under my radar until recently...I didn't hear about it for awhile.

Another one has passed. Zelda Rubinstein, probably best known as the psychic Tangina from the "Poltergeist" films, has died.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Looks like no one's posted it yet... JD Salinger has passed away; you may remember him as "that guy who wrote that book that conspiracy nuts feel compelled to buy every time they see it."

Also, Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States, which leans a bit far left even for my tastes when it stops reporting facts and starts analyzing history, but is a fascinating read about the less glamourous side of American history.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

A Catcher In The Rye sucked.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

So's yo' mamma, but you don't see me posting about it!

Tommy, close your eyes.

I believe a previous list (LISTS... :drool: ) of mine had CitR among my Ten Worst Books Read (or maybe it was #11 as Dishonorable Mention). But you know, he's a known, published author, and I'm not. Scoreboard, Mr. Salinger.
    "That's what Sheev said."

The more I teach Catcher in the Rye, the more I understand and appreciate it. "A Perfect Day for Bananafish" has helped keep me single all these years. Now that Salinger has passed, I suspect there will be several posthumous writings published.

Never read the book. Of course, there is a bit of a Star Wars connection. James Earl Jones played Terence Mann in Field of Dreams, whose character was based on Salinger. That's one of my favorite movies.

I loved the book, but for the opposite reason most people do. Most people seem to think Holden is this great anti-hero. He's not. Salinger pulls no punches with showing what a do bottle of Massengill he is, how clever he's not, and how pointless his life is. Total opposite point of what most people think it is.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Holden Caufield was a whiny brat that needed to have his *ss kicked and/or be heavily medicated.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!