Page 10 of 97 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast
    Even though drunk driving wasn't a crime yet? Plus who was alive in 1969 and aware of such a thing or did you only hear about it afterwards? The only crime he could be charged with he was, Leaving the Scene of an Accident, and served a suspended sentance. So passing Civil Rights (you don't have to take a reading test or pay a poll tax), Family and Medical Leave Act, COBRA, SChip, Federal Subsidized Student Loans, Campaign Finance (post Watergate), the Privacy Rule and HIPPA, minimum wage increases, The American's With Disabilities Act, expansion of America Corps to fulfill educational and urban renewal goals, etc isn't worth mentioning because it's not like that touches more people's lives or anything. Being a Senator doesn't make you perfect given the number of aldulters, embezzlers, and leeches to power who do nothing. Never mind the personal demon he carried around wondering when he was going to get shot in public like his brothers; he was an alcoholic in a time when being an alcoholic was just laughed at and it cost him and some one else, yet people want to relativize it to the norms of today. He worked hard for his state's people, for people to have oppurtunities, and is in the conversation as the greatest legislative senator in US history. The ironic thing is, he worked his whole life for mental health parity (amongst bigger health care goals), so had it been passed in '68 instead of '98, the whole thing could've been avoided.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed a classmate (Michael Dutton Douglas). Official police report said there were no drugs or alcohol involved, she didn't run and she didn't try to cover it up to save her own skin.

Bringing up that particular dead horse is pure dickery, not a political statement. Even most liberals agree that he should've gone to jail for that, or at the very least owned up to his mistake.

I seem to remember even a ripe douche like Nixon getting more respect from both sides right after he died.
    It wasn't meant to be a political statement. Just because he was a politician doesn't mean everything about him has to be political.

As I said, it was no more harsh than the MJ child molestation comments, in fact is was mild by comparison. All I posted was RIP for his victim.

Drinking and driving may not have been a crime at the time, but he fled the scene and attempted to cover it up.

EDIT

As for beating a dead horse, let me check......

Yep, Mary Jo is still dead.

Maybe you should just go tell her family to "get over it" while your at it.

Also, the "law" he could have been charged with is involuntary manslaughter.

As with voluntary manslaughter Massachusetts statutory law does not define involuntary manslaughter. Rather, Massachusetts common law, as pronounced by the courts, provides the definition for involuntary manslaughter:
    One can commit involuntary manslaughter through:
    (1) an unintentional killing occasioned by an act which constitutes such a disregard of the probable harmful consequences to another as to be wanton or reckless; or
    (2) an unintentional killing resulting from a battery.
    http://www.massmurderdefense.com/pag...ughter-in.html
    May the force be with you.

I meant it's a dead horse in that it seems to pop up any time anyone wants to criticize Kennedy, regardless of how appropriate or inappropriate it is at the time. I apologize for accusing you of being political if that was truly not your intention; however, I only made the assumption because your entire post was reminding us of his crime mere hours after his death, and you're usually the first to jump on any politician who's even slightly to your left.

I'm of the mind that he accomplished a lot in the Senate, but, in an ideal world, he would not have been there to do it. I didn't even in the slightest imply that anyone should "get over it," and you're not twisting my words in saying that I did; you're making a jump into lightspeed and winding up several million miles away.

I'm just going to totally bow out of this "debate" and lament that the internet has made our society forget that simple human decency in the past mandated we focus not on a man's crimes immediately after he died.

What is interesting is that he wanted Massachusetts to change the law so that his replacement could be appointed by the governor right away. Back before the 2004 election, he pushed for them changing the law to what it is now. Probably because they didn't want a Republican governor appointing John Kerry's replacement had he become president.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Laura Bush ran a stop sign and killed a classmate (Michael Dutton Douglas). Official police report said there were no drugs or alcohol involved, she didn't run and she didn't try to cover it up to save her own skin.

It wasn't meant to be a political statement. Just because he was a politician doesn't mean everything about him has to be political.

As I said, it was no more harsh than the MJ child molestation comments, in fact is was mild by comparison. All I posted was RIP for his victim.

Drinking and driving may not have been a crime at the time, but he fled the scene and attempted to cover it up.

EDIT

As for beating a dead horse, let me check......

Yep, Mary Jo is still dead.

Maybe you should just go tell her family to "get over it" while your at it.

The classmate she killed was an ex-boyfriend, they had dated throughout early & mid 1963, then they broke up & he started dating a girl named Regan Gammon.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

Honestly, I hadn't intended my post to get this deep.

The original intent of my post was that, yes, Ted Kennedy is dead and perhaps now Mary Jo can rest in peace.

That's it.

I would have said the same if it had been some famous actor/actress who had died, or anyone deemed worthy of news coverage, had they done the same thing as Ted Kennedy.

I wasn't trying to **** on the man's grave.

I will say this, now that he has passed, the matter is over, and I pray her and her family can be at peace. I will not raise the issue again after this post, it is finished.

As for the beating a dead horse issue, I apologize if I misunderstood your intent. It just felt to me like you were implying that it happened a long time ago and because of that we should just forget about it.

I took issue with this man being in office while Mary Jo was stone cold dead, and it has been a passionate issue for me, for a long long time. Politics has nothing to do with it. My passion stems from my sister-in-laws death at the wheel of a drunk driver, so, perhaps I took the issue a little too personal and went over the top by posting so soon after his death.

Alright, keeping tangentially with the crimes of the rich and powerful, Dominick Dunne passed at 83 years old.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    Alright, keeping tangentially with the crimes of the rich and powerful, Dominick Dunne passed at 83 years old.
    I just heard that on the radio on the way home. The parade of death continues.

Nobody's mentioning the douchebag husband of Laura that directly or indirectly caused the deaths of thousands, and the sh*thole mess we're in now, just to line him and his buddy's pockets in both instances.
    Probably making jokes about getting the janitor to clean it up now, while they hand him a bucket and keep the mop.

Sorry...vent.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Nobody's mentioning the douchebag husband of Laura that directly or indirectly caused the deaths of thousands, and the sh*thole mess we're in now, just to line him and his buddy's pockets in both instances.
    Probably making jokes about getting the janitor to clean it up now, while they hand him a bucket and keep the mop.

Sorry...vent.
    Probably because this isn't the pit and we are attempting to keep away from P&R.