Page 73 of 94 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475767783 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Last night just before bed KCET aired an episode of Visiting with Huell Howser, he was in a donut shop I think in OC and absolutely enthralled in watching some teenager flip chocolate twist donuts, and he was entirely genuine about it. Check out this article that Tom Lennon (The State, Reno 911) wrote for KCET about Huell's passing, it's really good: http://www.kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-...-internet.html There's several more articles there which are also moving in their own way.

I keep forgetting how talented a mind Andy Richter really is, he doesn't get nearly enough chance to shine, but reading this article he wrote about Huell actually brought a tear to my eye:
    http://www.kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-...iss-huell.html

Oh, and check out this event, apparently the city of LA will be putting all flags at half mast on the 15th during a sunset salute to honor Huell Howser, that's an amazing deal when you consider how big and varied the city is, I may go to this event, I'm free on Tuesday.
    http://www.kcet.org/shows/tvtalk/tv-...-memorial.html

Anyway, Huell Howser is an amazing and tragically unique person - we could surely use more like him. I had looked up his history for my grandparents a few years ago and they enjoyed hearing about who he was, but ultimately no matter how fascinating his story it was more important that who he was made it possible for him to do what he did that mattered most to them. Apparently Huell passed away from cancer, he didn't want a memorial or funeral or anything of that nature. He left his papers and the entirety of his show to Orange County's Chapman University, I read Huell did so not because he had a personal connection of any sort with the school but because when he went to the school's city of Orange to shoot an episode of the show on Orange, the president of the college wasn't able to meet with him for the show and sent a personally written letter of apology to Huell which impressed the man so much that an important university president would take the time to send a personal letter over something so trivial that he felt it was a place of character, so he started cutting at their studio and then donated his works including the shows to the school a year and a half ago. Chapman now has the Huell Howser Archive.
    Classic Huell! "Do you own a cat?"

Conrad Bain, 89.

Good night, Mr. Drummond.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Pauline Phillips, aka "Dear Abby" columnist, at 94.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Earl Weaver, 82

Legendary MLB manager of the Baltimore Orioles, from an apparent heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Conrad Bain, 89.

Good night, Mr. Drummond.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Pauline Phillips, aka "Dear Abby" columnist, at 94.
    Both of these were ones I was thinking had already died. Perhaps I was thinking of Richard Mulligan instead of Conrad Bain. I know Ann Landers (Dear Abby's twin) passed away several years ago.

I thought it was kind of funny when I learned what Abby's and Ann's real names were: Pauline Esther Friedman and Esther Pauline Friedman. It made me wonder if anyone ever called Abby "Polyester". I later learned Esther was called "Eppie", but just now learned that Pauline was called "Popo."

Oh my! Another baseball great today!

Stan Musial, 92

I never saw him play in person, but everything I heard about "The Man" was everything that's right and good about baseball and sports in general.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Patty Andrews, 94, of the Andrews Sisters.

Last of the iconic trio whose voices bolstered our boys during WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Patty Andrews, 94, of the Andrews Sisters.

Last of the iconic trio whose voices bolstered our boys during WWII.
    The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B is still a great song.