Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Kevin Smith Rules!

If George Lucas can be said to be the god of Star Wars, then Kevin Smith is a demigod. Not quite directly connected to the pantheon, but still inexorably attached and sharing some of the thunder. Kevin Smith is the Heracles to George Lucas' Zeus.
    Sith Worm and I, along with our significant others and another couple went to an almost private screening of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" on Sunday. Kevin Smith is truly at the height of his powers with his latest New Jersey romp. While "Dogma" is by far his master work, the point where he matured as a writer and director even beyond the seemingly lofty heights of "Chasing Amy", Smith returns to his pop-culture roots with "J&SBSB". And it wouln't be Kevin Smith without a truckload of Star Wars references. I will not spoil any of these lines and ask that replies to this thread be equally considerate about spoilers, but there is something there for every Star Wars fan. And it doesn't stop there! Smith refers (or nods to) Star Wars, The Land of the Lost, Twin Peaks, Scooby-Doo, Batman (TV Series), and at least a dozen other icons of recent nostalga throughout the film. And of course he neatly sews up his life's work by making obvious and overt nods to all four of his prior films. But be warned, this movie bears an R rating for a reason. In Kevin Smith fashion, he unabashedly seeks to offend every sensibility in the book, so if you are weak in that regard, you'd best save your money. Little offends or shocks me, and I would expect no less than Smith delivers, though I was rather surprised at how far he went at times. It's like South Park on speed!

Thumbs up

I have to agree. All of the movies are incredible, as is this one. Excellant work, and extremely funny movie. I love the Greedo line.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I rather enjoyed the "Don't F*** with the Jedi Master" line myself.
    "Two in the box, ready to go, we be fast, and they be slow!"
    Check out my art at The Terrace Room!

Twin Peaks?

I completely missed the TP nod (and being a TP buff, that's kind of odd). What was it?

"That was an incredibly daring escape!"

I was unable to get to this movie this weekend, but it is definitely at the top of my must-see list. Lucas should get Smith to help him write dialogue. I'm sure he could come up with some lines that would live up to "Who's scruffy looking?" I mean, sure he's all vulgar in his own movies, but I think he'd be very respectful if he got to work on Star Wars. Don't get me wrong though, I know it'll never happen.

**** SPOILER ALERT **** SPOILER ALERT ****

Thanks for posting to my Jay & Silent Bob thread. The nod to Twin Peaks was so subtle as to be very easily missed, even by the greatest fans. I don't want to spoil too much for those who have not seen it, so avert your eyes if you are planning to see this film soon...

**** SPOILER ALERT **** SPOILER ALERT ****

When Marshall Willenholly returns to the Utah Sheriff's office after the obvious overature to The Fugitive, the Sheriff and his deputies are enjoying a snack of delicous doughnuts. The keen observer will note that the doughnut box is the signature pink color those in Twin Peaks.

I have never laughed so hard before I found myself clapping and cheering out loud this was by far the best, thank you, Kevin Smith. "Smoochie Boochie!"
    "One day I will become the most powerful Jedi (Sith) ever." Anakin Skywalker, Epi.II

Yoda is forever my hero now...

"Applesauce B**ch."

"...Whatever gay serial killer who rides horses while playing golf movie you're doing this week..."

And lightsabe...excuse BLUNTsaber duels played to techno music are awesome. GLu. should put more techno music in his movies, especially when there are lightsabers flying around.

Well, it is official, I am going to see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back again this weekend. That it was the number two movie in this great nation last weekend speaks volumes. I think I've convinced Sith Worm to join Mrs. JediCole and myself. I'd invite Bubba Fatt, but I'm afraid the prevailance of references to recreational drugs and recreational sexuality (homo and hetero) plus the use of the "F-word" being legion, I fear it would offend his tender sensibilites.
    Anyone else want to go in his stead?