Page 21 of 112 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I've decided the movie-design Vipers (which I'll wind up with quite a few of, once I get a couple suits of the SNAKE Armor and the upcoming TRU pack) are, in my world, a specialized group of Vipers called "Death Adders." They're homicidal maniacs who joined up with Cobra to have an outlet, are too dangerous to keep housed with other Vipers, and have no real skills aside from their propensity for violence. They get specialized "skull" helmets and armor that they think looks cool, but costs much less than the uniforms for any other Viper subgroup and offer only minimal protection.
    I dig your backstory there - think I'll use it as well! Before that, I wasn't sure I was going to be army buidling those guys. Your story has convinced me otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom-like Menace View Post
    I'm going to grab a handful of these as well. In my mind, the classic-style Eels are fairly strictly frogmen and not intended to operate outside of the water. ROC Eels, I've decided, are more intended to be amphibious commandos. I may make a trip to Marauder Inc. to get them some more appropriate guns, though.
    Like that one, too! That was more or less what I had in mind there anyway.

I like the way you guys think!

I'm glad you guys are digging the story. I really hated the figure in all its myriad color schemes until I saw the version from the SRO set, which proved that it just needed a decent paint job. (Not sure why none of the 4,325,786 other decos of this mold have anything but flat applications that look awful.)

By the way, this may not exactly be the right thread, but here's my preferred use for (pieces of) Agent Helix, Baroness: Attack on the GIJoe Pit, and Desert Ambush Scarlett (along with DVD set Lady Jaye and Indiana Jones). Way far from finished, and the paint on the head is especially jacked up right now from the hair transplant, but I think she's looking pretty cool so far. Be kind; she's my first custom to involve this level of dis-assembly and parts-swapping.

(Edit: Dangit, I'm not sure how to rotate the pic once it's here. You'll figure out the gist of it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0120.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	21435  
    Last edited by El Chuxter; 09-09-2009 at 10:50 AM.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

[FONT=Courier New]That custom looks really great El Chuxter and thanks for the news on the hair being able to come off. I may have to check that out for possible female Jedi customs.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]PS: Your camera should allow you to rotate a photo before you post it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

All the female heads post 25th line have had hair that is glued/removable. It's not just Helix.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I'm glad you guys are digging the story. I really hated the figure in all its myriad color schemes until I saw the version from the SRO set, which proved that it just needed a decent paint job. (Not sure why none of the 4,325,786 other decos of this mold have anything but flat applications that look awful.)

By the way, this may not exactly be the right thread, but here's my preferred use for (pieces of) Agent Helix, Attack on the GIJoe Pit, and Desert Ambush Scarlett (along with DVD set Lady Jaye and Indiana Jones). Way far from finished, and the paint on the head is especially jacked up right now from the hair transplant, but I think she's looking pretty cool so far. Be kind; she's my first custom to involve this level of dis-assembly and parts-swapping.

(Edit: Dangit, I'm not sure how to rotate the pic once it's here. You'll figure out the gist of it.)

nice work Chux... she looks great.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pbarnard View Post
    All the female heads post 25th line have had hair that is glued/removable. It's not just Helix.
    [FONT=Courier New]Sweet! I will definitely have to check that out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]Sweet! I will definitely have to check that out.[/FONT]
    I take that back. Lady Jaye and the earlier 25th Baronesses may not be. But Scarletts, Covergirls and ROC Baronesses definitely are.
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

Thanks for the kind words, guys. If you notice any problems, please don't take me too literally at the "be kind" comment. I know of a couple of issues, the chief one being the length of her arms. I like the appearance of a little exposed wrist, though, so I might "cheat" by displaying her with both arms bent to hide that they appear to be the equivalent of about four inches longer than normal. (The legs are a tad proportionally long, but I purposefully chose parts that had the right appearance and were slightly longer, going for a "leggy" appearance since she was a former model.) There's some damage under her right, uh, boob from me not using enough padding when cracking the torso, but I think some paint and the jacket should totally obscure that from sight. My only real regret is that I wanted to keep the original face, but, even if it hadn't messed up, I'm not entirely sure it was painted fully enough to not expose yellow plastic with the Baroness hair.

There's probably a how-to from someone better at it than me, but I found boiling the head for a minute or two, slowly working something between the head and hair, and repeating, using an x-acto knife when absolutely necessary, worked best. The bulk of the cement seemed to be in the back and in the groove attachment in the top (which I wasn't aware of until I got to it); once it's only attached in the groove, the hair twisted off fairly easily.

I think the amored Scarlett figure actually has a nicer head of hair, but it's too well-managed, IMHO, for any Joe who's actually going into combat. I can see Cover Girl putting on her designer boots and making sure her bomber jacket is properly positioned for maximum style before going out to run over Cobras in her tank, but not taking two hours and a can of mousse on her hair.

I know I could rotate the pic before it was uploaded, but I thought you could do it afterward. I'm just lazy.

BTW, I'm somewhat ignorant when it comes to guns, but I'm noticing a dearth of M-16's in the line, and Marauder appears to only sell them with the grenade launcher attachment. What's the best way to get an M-16 of decent enough quality to use with a Joe, but without the grenade launcher? CG's filecard lists that as one of her qualified firearms, but she's rather small and I somehow don't see her dealing with the extra weight of the grenade launcher. (Lady Jaye, on the other hand, would not only carry it, but beat people over the head with it. )
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Well considering the M16 went out of service style in the 80s and they switched to the M4 or some other weapon?

I'm weird, every Joe but Scarlett and Lady Jaye for me has a Marauder gun. I break them down into Joe guns and Cobra guns when new sets come out. There is one Marauder M16 with removable clip. I understand the want/need for the file card, but there's so much better guns out there now. For the females I'm torn between MP5s and P90s, although the MP7 has made quite the impression on me (i love marauder's version, especially with a scope and the modular silencer!!!). There's the Brittish LR85, I tend to avoid the AUG21 since I place that gun in the Cobra camp.

There was an M4/M16 from Hasbro that came with a shotgun underslung it from Hasbro. I always found that one very easy to trim off and instant M16. Let me dig around for a day or two I can try to see what I have since I'm trying to forcibly retire the M16 from all figures I own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	m16_shotgun.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	4.1 KB 
ID:	21437  

I picked up an exclusive set at TRU that's a Mole Pod, two Neo Vipers (with slightly different outfits and/or bodies), a Pit Commando with short sleeves, Duke, and Ripcord. It was $25, a huge bargain. I was on the fence, since I have one Mole Pod, want to get the second for the upcoming Lava Viper, and am not particularly crazy about the vehicle in the first place. But, as cheap as it was (buy five figures for $10 less than retail, and get a Mole Pod free), I figured better to snatch it up while it was there than pass.

At that price, that thing is a far cry from the Lars homestead set.
    Tommy, close your eyes.