Page 98 of 113 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
    Indeed. And now I'm going to go all JediTricks on y'all.

Here's my thoughts on the basic figures. I haven't opened the vehicles yet.

Beach Head (Nina Dojo)
    It's impossible to dislike this figure, but it's impossible to get too excited, either. Hasbro almost seems to have a Beach Head fetish or something. He's all reused parts; he might be entirely a less-detailed repaint of POC Beach Head (I don't have him handy to compare). He's Beach Head; if you're a Joe collector, you kinda know what I mean. If you haven't got any of the previous 3,874 BH's, he'll seem a lot more exciting. A-

Cobra Commander
    This is, sculpt-wise, an excellent figure. I really dig the look of him, particularly in black. Also, his snake staff is one of the few action accessories that I plan to use (albeit without the rocket), and his regular guns look nice enough. I plan to use him as Krake (from the IDW comics), perhaps getting one or two of the blue ones later to use as generals. But I can't justify another at full price--the sacrifice of the ankle articulation and the single-jointed knee really hurts the figure, moreso than most of the others like this, because his knee looks very gappy when it's bent. Too bad; aside from that, he's damned close to perfect. B-

Cobra Trooper
    He should be better than he is. The design is decent enough, though nothing spectacular, but the color scheme (light and bright blue with black trim) kills it. He also suffers from a gappy knee, though it's not as conspicuous as with Cobra Commander. His gun is pretty bizarre, but at least it's not neon green. Haven't messed with the parachute contraption. Overall, he winds up being just okay and a little boring. With some paint detail, this could've been a whole 'nother figure. I'm hoping that, if the line doesn't take, they might repaint him a few different ways, like they did with the Neo-Viper for ROC. (I've also noticed the mask, partially due to the coloration, looks a lot like Snake Eyes IV.) B-

Duke
    Something of a minor disappointment, to be honest. I think the reactive armor actually looks better in this color scheme (it gives it a weird 90s vibe), but he's just not especially exciting. I broke down and picked him up to do a headswap with the Joe Trooper, but the skin tones don't match. I might try the Joe Trooper's helmeted head, if I get more of that figure. The weapons are entirely useless, he has no webgear, and he's definitely re-using the ROC Tatum Channing head. Which begs the question of why, since he's a non-movie design anyway, didn't they re-use ROC legs as well and give the poor guy some joints. His knee gaps aren't too noticeable, but I'm looking at him and thinking how much he would benefit from simply being able to rotate his feet. Or some weapons that weren't hollowed-out neon orange monstrosities. Or anything. Anything at all. Not bad, but definitely nothing to write home about, either. C-

G.I. Joe Trooper
    I'll be honest; I thought this guy looked kinda dumb until I opened him. The reviews were so glowing, though, I couldn't pass him up. Holy snot, am I glad I didn't! He's loaded with accessories--all of which, except for his extra head, can be stored on his person! Plus, ball-jointed wrists and rocker ankles that are flawlessly hidden in the "folds" of his pants. I don't think he was meant to be a Retaliation figure; I'm convinced this fellow is a 30th Anniversary holdover. I'm not entirely crazy about the mohawked head, but, really, who's going to display him with that one? My only regret is that I didn't get the blue version as well. I will correct that at the earliest opportunity. A+

Kamakura (Ninja Dojo)
    He's a straight-up kitbash with a fairly plain color scheme. And, yet, this figure is absolutely sweet. I think he's my new favorite Kamakura figure by a wide margin; I've always loved the design, even if I didn't care for the idea of Sean Collins growing up to go all ninja. This guy's got more weapons than he knows what to do with, and he's definitely going to be on my revamped Joe Ninja Force. A

Red Ninja
    As far as I can tell, this is just a straight-up repaint of Renegades Storm Shadow (and I don't have that figure handy to compare closely), only with the new rocker ankles. But that's all he needs to be. That's all a Red Ninja figure should ever be (and not that bizarre vehicle driver by that name from the early 90s). And Renegades Storm Shadow was so close to perfect, we didn't know rocker ankles could improve upon it. Ten bucks may be a bit steep for it, but, when this guy goes on sale or clearance (if that happens), I am army-building him. Great thing about GIJoe is that I can still display him with the older, far inferior Red Ninjas from a couple of years ago; they still look cool, but this guy's going to be in the foreground. The only drawback is that he only comes with two swords (and a stupid zipline accessory) and nothing to hold them in. Ideal as a backpack would be, I'll make do. A+

Red Ninja (Ninja Showdown)
    At first I thought he didn't have the rocker ankles, because the joints on mine were a bit tight. But he does, so he's the same exact sculpt as the carded Red Ninja. The paint scheme is one Hasbro's used before for a Red Ninja Commander (though this outfit never actually appeared in the comic, IIRC), and he comes with a hat and mask. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any swords; he has two sais instead and I gave him Storm Shadow's naginata, which looks sweet with him. A+

Roadblock (Ninja Dojo)
    Wow. This figure is the big surprise of the bunch. I was expecting to get him only for the other two figures (mostly Kamakura, since Beach Head is, well, Beach Head). First surprise was that he has two normal hands! Hot damn! He's an excellent likeness of The Rock (probably the best actor likeness in the Joe line), and just a massive figure. Can't tell, but I think he might re-use parts from the Night Adder/Resolute Roadblock. In person, the paint scheme is pretty flawless and looks quite realistic. He's not completely perfect; the head is a tad loose, and he has the single joint in his legs that many Retaliation figures suffer from (though, because of the sculpt and the coloration, the knee gap is barely noticeable. He's the newest "made-up" recruit on my Joe team: Night Force Heavy Artillery Gunner, code-name Rock. Seriously, if that other Roadblock goes on clearance, I might get one and do something with his screwy hand so it looks like he's holding a laser pistol. A

Snake Eyes
    Sculpt-wise, this figure rocks. Ball-jointed wrists, rocker ankles, and all the (previously) standard articulation. But he seems a tad bland. He has a weird blue gun that looks like a futuristic Uzi equivalent, along with a black sword, and, well, that's about it in terms of actual weapons. Sure, he's got that insane robo-glider (that will be given to someone else), but I don't count that. He's just very dark matte grey with a bit of gloss paint on a few details, and that silly Arashikage logo on his arm. I wish the figure was as nice as the sculpt. But that's why there's the 3-pack version. He's not bad, but why get him when you can get a better version for a cheaper per-figure cost in the multipack? A

Snake Eyes (Ninja Showdown)
    Wow. What a huge difference a little bit of detail and some more respectable accessories make. I'd say this is the definitive Snake Eyes, but he's still got some really strong competition from a couple of the POC versions. (Kinda sad that there were at least four POC versions in just under two years, eh?) The body is darker, the armored parts are silver, and the plain black webgear (as one reviewer pointed out, apparently based on Tim Bradstreet's work from Devil's Due's GIJoe: Reloaded series) kick the figure into overdrive. As far as I can tell, he's exactly the same sculpt as the carded version, just so much better. I'm not sure if he's the best SE ever, but he's definitely a strong contender for that title. A+

Storm Shadow
    This is one bloody nice Storm Shadow sculpt. It may actually be the best yet. I prefer the starker paint scheme on the 3-pack version, but the muted silver on this one is beautiful, too. He comes with a crazy zipline thing I didn't bother with, along with two swords. The only (minor) advantage he has over the 3-pack version is a small backpack to store the swords (which is actually more useful than a lot of other ninja weapons he can't hold). This sculpt also has the new, kickarse rocker ankles. Funny how some figures sacrifice that joint, and it's improved on others. A+

Storm Shadow (Ninja Showdown)
    Like Snake Eyes, this figure comes really close to topping a figure that we thought of as perfect (Renegades Storm Shadow). He doesn't have a backpack for his swords, unfortunately, unless I mistakenly gave his to Snake Eyes, which is his only real drawback. Also, like Snake Eyes, I much prefer the 3-pack version. The black and grey details really add to the figure, though he'd be a bit nicer if his gloves were black as on box photo. That's too minor a quibble to hold against him. A+
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    So, how is that Fangboat?

Figures I have bought so far: Red Ninja, Cobra Trooper, Joe Trooper, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Cobra Commander (blue), and Roadblock.

I have yet to see any of the 3 packs, but I haven't been to a Target or TRU lately.
    J&H, I haven't opened up the Fangboat yet. Will try to soon though.

Thanks for the reviews, Chux. JT never gives A+'s though

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    That's because he isn't reviewing the same figures.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

What a turnaround, Chux. I thought you had sworn off these figures.

I agree that the Red Ninja and Joe Trooper are stellar. I shall use your reviews to dictate which figures to open and which to return to Target once my HTS case, along with the 3-packs and new HISS, arrive.

Hey Chux, thanks for the reviews. I am glad you like what you got!!

I picked up another Red Ninja today. I now have 2.

On a whim I decided to swing by Dollar General and take a look to see if they had any of the joes. I got Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Shipwreck.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by figrin bran View Post
    Gotta be made of solid platinum and cost less than $5.

Chux's recommendations come with a few grains of salt in my book, ever since he talked me into watching the Speed Racer movie and then the first Joe movie.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    That's because he isn't reviewing the same figures.
    I wouldn't be able to give any single-carded figures an A based solely on their INSANE pricing. "This is a really good figure, but it costs what a figure twice as good with 3 times as many accessories costs, A PLUS!!!" no.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Eh, it's a living.

Found the two larger vehicles tonight. I'll finally get around to opening all four soon and posting thoughts. The figures look great in the pics. Too bad I know they have 1978 Star Wars articulation.

BTW, upon closer inspection, the Joe Trooper's feet are ball joints, but not rocker ankles. Also, for some reason, the one with blue trim seems to have softer plastic overall than the tan one.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I bought Red Ninja, Joe Trooper, Cobra Trooper and
    CC over the weekend. I've only opened up Red Ninja but it's a superb figure and worthy of Chux's
    grade

After reading reviews I think I want a GH 2. I wasn't expecting it to be larger than the Black Dragon.

I found the Dollar General Duke and Cobra Trooper this past week. That completes my set.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I'm still searching for a DG Cobra Trooper, Duke, and Storm Shadow. I don't see myself driving to the Dollar Generals in Bakersfield again any time soon, though. The one in Montclair has been stalked and pillaged.