Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wave 6 Adml Yularen, Mace Windu, Cmdr Gree, Jawas & SBD Heavy Assault

Just found these at Target yesterday. Picked up Yularen and Mace yesterday along with a repack of the 41st Elite Clone (the one with the gatling gun), but passed on the Jawas and the rest, didn't see the ARF Trooper.

These figures have a pack-in fold-up micro-catalog with some new figures from the various lines, but nothing we haven't seen to date. The new packaging feels cheap, thinner cardboard and a very small J-hook, but at least no more taped bubbles. The bottom of the bubble is reverse-welded onto the card, the rest regular welded, so it's easy to open. Visually they are boring and blank, but they do give more attention to the figure itself - if there are accessories, it works, but without they fail miserably.

Jawas looked really boring to me, their sculpts are simplistic with very little detail, even their gun accessories are smooth. Another turn-off was the shiny plastic, it just looks too out of place on a Jawa. It was an easy pass.

Commander Gree was one I thought about picking up, but I haven't liked the removable helmet clones as much as the dedicated helmet versions, and I wanted the gun from the 41st Clone which this was supposed to come with but instead comes with a different kind of big spring-loaded launcher, so I passed.

The Super Battle Droid Heavy Assault repaints the main SBD body and changes the left forearm to a gun. I don't think the left elbow bends on this one because the missile goes through the elbow, but there could be room to pull this off. The gun looked ok but seemed a little too large for my tastes. The gray paint on the panels flanking the head really make this figure look different.

The ARF Trooper wasn't there, so I can't comment.

Now, the ones I did buy...

Admiral Yularen has this line's small standard pistol, it fits into a holster on his right side, and very cleverly the holster is removable via pin. The best part of this figure is the holo-com table, it's got a lot of detail and a great sculpt and it's a realistic height even. There's also a tiny separate holo-Obi-Wan that can stand on the table, but the table itself thankfully doesn't have a hole or peg to hold it, so it looks good without. The figure itself is very slight, and comparing to the animation the figure actually looks thinner than the animation. The sculpt is good, but the rank badge on mine has a blob of glue or plastic sticking out because it's a separate piece. The ball jointed shoulders stand out a little and look a little ugly when used. The head is decent, but the paint on the hair to make him look a little older isn't entirely convincing, more like he got highlights. There's a HUGE flaw in this figure though, the feet are non-articulated and slanted slightly back, so he cannot stand straight up, only leaning forward. This figure is very mixed, but not being able to stand means that you're really buying a cool holo-com table with an Admiral Yularen accessory.

Mace Windu has lightsaber-swinging action. That means his waist is spring-loaded like a He-Man figure. Here, the travel is fairly short, and the waist can ratchet, but only 6-points so you can only really turn him to the side at 1 angle either way (it's a good angle though, perfect for looking over his shoulder or do a 2-handed saber pose). The figure has a ball-jointed neck (kinda limited up-and-down range), ball-hinge shoulders and elbows, standard wrists and standard hips. The sculpt is pretty accurate and has the right character, I like the unusual boot design, but the costume sculpt is very simple and smooth with minimal flow, I guess he has his tunic pressed on an hourly basis. Paint is pretty good but no weathering is a bummer, and the gauntlets have the same kinda thick white paint that the other Jedi figures in this line suffer. The figure also comes with removable battle armor in the form of a helmet, upper torso armor, and shoulder armor. These pieces are a dull eggshell bordering on being beige, doesn't match the sculpted forearm armor color at all. The torso armor design is like the Obi-Wan armor, it looks good by itself. The shoulder armor is thicker and impedes arm movement, it looks very bulky. The removable helmet is really good actually, it's a nice scale and fits well (although it can sit too low if you push it all the way on), it sports the standard Mace purple design which doesn't fit with the lack of purple on the other armor. Finally, Mace has his standard saber, the handle is a little too thick and the blade too dark, but it's not a bad one and it has the full painted details. All in all, it's a good figure, but not quite great.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yularen is a pass for me and with the action feature, Mace might be as well. I'll be looking for Gree and the Jawas, however.

The action gimmick is a really minor inconvenience, the arm articulation is not hampered since it's a waist gimmick, and I only really need the figure to turn to the angle it turns to anyway.

For you, I'll stash the next Gree and Jawas I see.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I am planning on getting all of these, minus the SBD and the Jawas.

Thanks for the reviews, JT.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

have yet to spot this wave but realluy looking forward to it. I want Gree and Yularen as well as the Jawas.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I picked up the Jawa set. Ironically, the first Clone Wars one I bought since the line lauched. Liked the new packaging...
    Real men buy Willrow

I picked up your left overs from the Culver City store and have a few comments:

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Jawas looked really boring to me, their sculpts are simplistic with very little detail, even their gun accessories are smooth. Another turn-off was the shiny plastic, it just looks too out of place on a Jawa. It was an easy pass.
    I have to disagree on the jawas. The sculpts are relatively detailed for CW and the gun accessories are smooth in keeping with the other characters such as Padme's. I like that they included a rifle with the larger vs a pistol for the smaller. The finish is actually more matte than shiny. They did a great job updating to animated look.

Commander Gree was one I thought about picking up, but I haven't liked the removable helmet clones as much as the dedicated helmet versions, and I wanted the gun from the 41st Clone which this was supposed to come with but instead comes with a different kind of big spring-loaded launcher, so I passed.
    I picked up Gree previously off of ebay and he is by far my favorite of the clone commanders. The green paint job, simplified look (never a fan of kamas), bandolier and not to mention the fohawk that sets him apart.

The Super Battle Droid Heavy Assault repaints the main SBD body and changes the left forearm to a gun. I don't think the left elbow bends on this one because the missile goes through the elbow, but there could be room to pull this off. The gun looked ok but seemed a little too large for my tastes. The gray paint on the panels flanking the head really make this figure look different.
    The left elbow does bend and the gun is large, but it's a cartoon so proportions tend to be exaggerated. They did enough to make it distinct from the standard SBD and worth a pick up.

The figure also comes with removable battle armor in the form of a helmet, upper torso armor, and shoulder armor. These pieces are a dull eggshell bordering on being beige, doesn't match the sculpted forearm armor color at all. The torso armor design is like the Obi-Wan armor, it looks good by itself. The shoulder armor is thicker and impedes arm movement, it looks very bulky. The removable helmet is really good actually, it's a nice scale and fits well (although it can sit too low if you push it all the way on), it sports the standard Mace purple design which doesn't fit with the lack of purple on the other armor.
    The armor is a huge disappointment. Why include a half baked accessory especially when there is a standard look for all armor across the line? H really was stingy on this one by not at least painting the plastic white to match the forearm armor. I can't imagine adding substantially to the cost.

This a great time for CW enthusiasts and I can't wait to pick up the other two waves and the TT!

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    I am planning on getting all of these, minus the SBD and the Jawas.

Thanks for the reviews, JT.
    Sure thing, and good choices on what not to get. You may feel differently on them when you see the figures in stores, but I doubt the Jawas are going to be big sellers, their style doesn't quite work for this theme and they're barely in this universe so far, just 1 moment in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeinabox View Post
    I picked up your left overs from the Culver City store and have a few comments:

I have to disagree on the jawas. The sculpts are relatively detailed for CW and the gun accessories are smooth in keeping with the other characters such as Padme's. I like that they included a rifle with the larger vs a pistol for the smaller. The finish is actually more matte than shiny. They did a great job updating to animated look.
    First off, very cool that you picked up the leftovers there!

Maybe the other set of Jawas I saw on the pegs was the one you saw, because they looked pretty shiny the ones I had in my hand. I don't know what kind of detailing you are seeing though, except for the tattering on their cloaks they seemed almost entirely smooth. And Padme's weapon is smooth in the movies, the rest of the accessories in the line and in the animation have been fairly detailed by comparison.

I picked up Gree previously off of ebay and he is by far my favorite of the clone commanders. The green paint job, simplified look (never a fan of kamas), bandolier and not to mention the fohawk that sets him apart.
    How does the helmet look on him? I hate how it looks on Rex, but it's not as bad on Cody and Mace.

The left elbow does bend and the gun is large, but it's a cartoon so proportions tend to be exaggerated. They did enough to make it distinct from the standard SBD and worth a pick up.
    Good to know. Since the original has nice wear and removable large guns already, I suspect I won't bother with this revisit.

The armor is a huge disappointment. Why include a half baked accessory especially when there is a standard look for all armor across the line? H really was stingy on this one by not at least painting the plastic white to match the forearm armor. I can't imagine adding substantially to the cost.
    The color of the plastic was a distinctive choice, why they went there I don't know though, but it wasn't cost as they would have just used a white plastic if they had wanted it white. I don't remember if Mace wore armor in the show at any point, I vaguely remember a scene with him taking off a helmet, but I'm not totally sure. Never the less, it's a really odd choice and one that we may want to ask Hasbro about later, especially if season 2 doesn't shed any light on it.

That said, I'm not disappointed in the armor, while it doesn't match his forearms, I think it looks alright (the shoulder armor maybe not) and distinctive. The shoulders should have had purple trim too though.

Sure thing, and good choices on what not to get. You may feel differently on them when you see the figures in stores, but I doubt the Jawas are going to be big sellers, their style doesn't quite work for this theme and they're barely in this universe so far, just 1 moment in the movie.
    I have 2 of the Jawas (with the treadwell droid) from the ANH wave of the Legacy Collection. I really can't foresee me wanting to buy more now that I have those.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

While in San Francisco, I got a few figures from this wave as well as the next one - Yularen, SBD, space Obi-Wan, Echo, Yoda, and Commando Droid, at a Target. They also had repacked Obi-Wan and Anakin figures, filling in the #18 and #19 slots, and those ones had pictures of the Cad Bane wave on the back, so there's a ton of new stuff out there. I won't be able to open them for a few days but I'm pretty stoked to have them so soon.