Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Walmart 2009 Droid Factory sets

I got these today, which I totally wasn't expecting. I also didn't expect for them to be $17 each, so after tax it was $92 and some change for the set of five. Another surprise was that the Boba Fett included here is the animated version from 2007; I initially thought someone had switched the figure, since everything we've seen before indicated that it would be the Evolution figure, but there were a few sets like this and the animated figure was shown on the back, so I assume everything is alright. The packaging also names where each of these characters is seen, mentioning the Droids series, the I, Jedi novel, and The New Droid Army video game, among others, which is new but cool.

I'll open them soon and post thoughts. The pricetag may make you rethink these, but we'll see how good they are.
    Got a question for Hasbro? Ask it here!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi

Wow. I was actually really looking forward to almost all of these, but $17 each? Wow.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Where's Wimmateeka and Droid Works? (with name borrowed from Hett Nik's Tales from Mos Isley Cantina).

All depends on the BAD...the price tag is making me think twice, but the droids may take it all away.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

General Mohc as the final-stage Darktrooper is the Build-A-"Droid."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    General Mohc as the final-stage Darktrooper is the Build-A-"Droid."
    I know that, but I want to see what it looks like. I should have been clearer.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

I can honestly say it looks nice enough in person that it is actually painful to realize that I can't, or at least shouldn't, drop $92 on that, a few new figures and droids (even with I5 and Corran!), and a lot of rehash.

Worst thing is, they said these would be really limited quantities compared to last year's. So if you don't have the money the first time they show up, which appears to be now, you're SOL.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I got the whole set today too (and an extra of the Ani and Cortosis SBD) and like JJL was surprised by the Fett. It makes sense but not even at Comic Con did they show the right figure.... And the price stung a lot, hopefully once they're open and the BaD is assembled I'll be able to nurse my wallet back to health. Oh and like I said, I snagged an extra set so if anyone wants the Anakin (I know, he's an old rehash anyway) or the arms to this guy (so that you don't have to buy the set) pm me.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

That's great news that these are showing up! I have been looking forward to the Boba Fett & BL-17 set since they were announced at Toy Fair. Unfortunately they will never be showing up here in Canada. Would anybody here be able to help me get them?

[FONT=Courier New]$17.00 each?!? PASS.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]I wanted to get the Grievous set and the Corran Horn sets, but I can do without.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Okay, here are some thoughts on the figures.

Grievous is the exact same as the 2005 version with the four arms where you push down on his head and his arms move. The lightsabers sometimes have a hard time staying in. The cape is alright; there's an elastic strap that runs across Grievous' neck, but you can position it to look good, even if it's not accurate (there should be a point where both sides connect together, but they've never done this on a figure). Also, there's no emblem on the back. So it's definitely not a perfect caped Grievous.

CB-3D is pretty nice. It's a repaint of the VOTC R2-D2, with the panel glued down. It's kind of a red-orange color scheme, which we haven't seen yet, so that's good.

Anakin is essentially a repack of the comic pack version, but with less dirt on the face and darker paint on the robes and boots.

The Cortosis Battle Droid is based on the SBD that's been shipping one way or another since 2007, but with a new torso and forearms. It's quite interesting looking.

Boba, as has been said, is the animated version. Instead of the staff or the gun he was originally packed with, for some reason he includes both guns from the Evolution version, with the gray paint and everything. It's an interesting choice since it better matches the Droids cartoon he's based on. The photo on the back looks to be a photoshopped version of the original picture of this figure from 2007, as it still has the weird unproduced different head, but they edited out the staff.

BL-17 is quite cool. His arms and legs are from 4-LOM, as are those of I-5YQ. There's no waist articulation, but I don't know where they would have put any anyway. Due to the lack of waist articulation and the somewhat odd placement of his legs, his left one is slightly in front of the right one, but it's not bad (again, I-5YQ is similar in this area). He's got a somewhat shiny finish, just like the animated Boba.

Darth Maul is the shirtless Evolution one with a cloak of the same fabric as his current soft goods. It might have made more sense for them to release the other, fully-clothed Evolution figure with a new robe, but it still works.

I-5YQ is similar to BL-17 but has some added features. The neck is the first time we've seen a 3PO-like protocol droid with the same ball-joint neck currently being used on almost every other figure, and it works really well, even if the neck is slightly too skinny to accommodate the feature. The chest opens up to reveal a removable little holocron, which is a nice surprise (I didn't know what it was or that it was removable based on the pictures). He reminds me of how a really good AOTC C-3PO could be.

Corran Horn uses the Luke X-wing body and all of his accessories (with the tips of both sabers painted black). The flesh paint on his face bleeds over into his hair in a few places, but it's nothing we haven't seen before. I don't know much about this character but it works well as a new pilot.

R2 Whistler also uses the VOTC R2 body with the panel glued on. It's a pretty standard lime green droid, with extra stripes around his head. Again, more astromechs are always welcome.

The Dark Trooper Droid is HUGE. It looks to be based on the same one as the POTF2 figure, but black and quite a bit taller. The legs, for instance, go up to the shoulders of the protocol droids. Apart from the head, he's super-articulated and seems to hold together well.

So, given the $85 pricetag before tax, that rings up at around $7.73 per figure, if you count all 11. Hasbro said at Comic Con they would be $15.99 each, so maybe the stores are pricing them differently. Though there are a few useless figures, I think most of them are pretty good, and the Dark Trooper is pretty great.

If anyone wants pics, I'll post them.
    Got a question for Hasbro? Ask it here!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi