Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The real biggest revelation in ROTJ...

I believe the real biggest moment in ROTJ is often overlooked. I believe the biggest moment in Return of the Jedi is Leia figuring out that Darth Vader is her father! Really...how many times do we think that, not only does Leia realize Luke is her brother, but that Darth Vader is her father too! Wowzer. That is a spicy meatball.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I always wish more had been done with that...
    For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is.

When she first finds out, there's a look of horror on Leia's face. It it was in book form, that'd be a perfect place for a flashback of the Death Star, Cloud City, some pre-ANH events.

Han: "I understand. When he gets back... I won't get in the way."
    Leia: "No. It's not like that. He's my brother."
    [Han and Leia smooch]
    Leia: "And by the way; that guy who stole your blaster right out of your hand, tortured you on a heat rack, then froze you in carbonite? He's my dad. Wanna keep smoochin'?"
    Han: "Whaaaaaaaa-?!?"
    "That's what Sheev said."

I thought the biggest revelation was Darth Vader becoming one with the force ala Yoda and Obi-Wan. Anakin didn't learn it from the Jedi, so he either figured it out on his own or the Sith knew how to make it happen.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    I thought the biggest revelation was Darth Vader becoming one with the force ala Yoda and Obi-Wan. Anakin didn't learn it from the Jedi, so he either figured it out on his own or the Sith knew how to make it happen.
    Or perhaps Obi-Wan and Yoda helped bring him over.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    Or perhaps Obi-Wan and Yoda helped bring him over.
    That's called the Force Booster Chair technique.
    "That's what Sheev said."

The whole revelation that Leia was Luke's sister has always bothered me. You just have to watch ANH and ESB to realize that was obviously never the intent. It was just a lazy, last-minute change to the story to tie up some loose plot threads. So it's little wonder that it was handled so poorly in the film.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Long Gone View Post
    I always wish more had been done with that...
    Agreed. That's why ROTJ (like ROTS) is my least favorite of the OT. The story was rushed to try to tie up loose ends.

It's always baffled me that G.Lu didn't take SW farther. I always look at the James Bond franchise and it's longevity and wonder why there wasn't the confidence with SW to try and do the same. We all know it would have been successful.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    Agreed. That's why ROTJ (like ROTS) is my least favorite of the OT. The story was rushed to try to tie up loose ends.

It's always baffled me that G.Lu didn't take SW farther. I always look at the James Bond franchise and it's longevity and wonder why there wasn't the confidence with SW to try and do the same. We all know it would have been successful.
    But how long would the actors have stuck with it? He could have done the prequels, but he wanted to wait until he had better technology. When that technology arrived, he did take it farther by doing the prequels, and now we have The Clone Wars, and hopefully a live action series. I would really like to see some of the other EU stories done, whether it be live action or animation. I would want a more realistic animation though. The Han Solo Trilogy (both new and old, along with the Lando Adventures), the X-Wing novels and comics, and the Tales of the Jedi/Knights of the Old Republic era stories would all be great to see as TV series.

Who knows how long the original cast would hang with the franchise? My point is G.Lu had/has the ability to take the franchise and run with it (maybe to the fabled 9 episodes). The tangents from the OT would be limitless! This could be done with or without the OT cast.

Just like Qui-Long Gone opined above, it's sad we're stuck with the "what ifs" instead of the "what is". And as MSP states, how cool would it be for episodes to be rendered in both animation and live action....even further!

I just think it's sad. I can't help but feel short changed. Unlike most here, I've been wishing this since May 1977.
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!