Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Basic Timeline Questions

I know most of you can probably answer these questions in your sleep, but for some reason I can't seem to find any information regarding the following:

1. How long was Luke on Dagobah training with Yoda in ESB?

2. How much time passes between ESB and ROTJ?

Rough estimates are fine since it's mostly EU anyway. Thanks in advance.
    Nute Gunray: "Will you stop talking about the war!"
    Mr. Fawlty: "Me? You started it!"
    Nute Gunray: "We did not start it."
    Mr. Fawlty: "Yes you did, you invaded Naboo..."

There is hot debate about the Dagobah issue, some fans say "days" while I think it's more like 6 weeks (it'd take hundreds of years for the Falcon to get to the next nearest system without a working hyperdrive, so my theory is the hyperdrive was PARTIALLY working and just kept breaking down, so they had to "hop" to Bespin over the course of 6 weeks). I don't think there's any official info on this, certainly nothing canon, but obviously it's still up for interpretation. The 6 weeks thing makes the most sense to me though because it seems like any less wouldn't be enough time for Luke to really get enough training from Yoda to be an almost-fully-trained Jedi knight.

As for the ESB to ROTJ issue, this has been accepted as roughly 6 months. I've seen a few timelines that corroborate this, and the EU multimedia extravaganza Shadows of the Empire seems to fit this timetable as well, so that's what I accept for that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've always thought that there was about a 1 year difference between ESB and RotJ.

Originally posted by master jedi
    I've always thought that there was about a 1 year difference between ESB and RotJ.
    I always thought it was a year too, but wether it's a year or 6 months I wouldn't like to be Han in the carbonite block - a long wide awake nothing as he puts it in the cut sand storm scene.

PENDO!

I never really considered how long Luke was on Dagobah, but I agree it must have been for several weeks.

As for ESB-ROTJ, the common time frame I've seen is 6-12 months.

What about the events of ANH? I guess it would be a few days from the beginning of the film to the escape from Mos Eisley, and then a day until the Falcon "escapes" the TIE fighters. How long might it have been from that point until the battle of Yavin? Surely it must have taken the Death Star a lot longer than the Falcon to arrive.

I've always seen the 6 month interval for ESB-ROTJ, I think first back in '83. Perhaps it's in the novelisation.

As for the Dagobah interval, as a kid it always seemed to me like a few days, but on reconsideration, one would think Luke couldn't learn to be a Jedi in a week. Six weeks even seems short. After all, in the prequels, we've discovered that Jedi are trained practically birth to adulthood. However, learning to tap into the Force may only take a short while (especially for powerful natural Force users like the Skywalkers) - the years of apprenticeship may be more on the rights and wrongs of applying that power.
    "Three goofballs and a guy in a monkey suit."

I'd love to hear from Lucas film on the Dagobah issue.

I don't see how it can be weeks and weeks when it seems like just days from the Han / Leia perspective. They certainly aren't drifting in space for weeks on end. I always thought the got to Bespin within hours . . .

Originally posted by mark2d2
    They certainly aren't drifting in space for weeks on end.
    Explain why not please, it seems like they could have spent MONTHS in there.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well besides "hopping" to Bespin, they might've also been able to get a ride from other ships with a tractor beam or sticking to them.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

For one, they'd probably have changed clothes or I dunno, their hair would have grown. Frankly, it just doesn't seem like much time has passed. There is no progression of the Han/Leia relationship either. I think that it only takes a matter of hours for them to get to Cloud City. A quick look at the script backs me up. It cuts from them deciding to try for Bespin --- to one quick scene of Luke and Yoda training when Luke has his vision --- then cuts right to them arriving on Bespin. If weeks and weeks were passing, I think we'd have more training sequences or something. There is no sense what-so-ever of time passing. Also, is the Falcon really that set up for long voyages? I don't think so.
    Last edited by mark2d2; 03-05-2002 at 02:07 AM.