Respect other forum users' rights

Recently, several directly-unrelated situations have come up that all fall under the same heading - certain forumites are not respecting other forumites' rights to post or have a differing opinion without feeling harassed: This has got to stop.

We all come to these forums to have fun by expressing our views via the discussion format with others who share our common interest - Star Wars. However, Star Wars is a multifaceted hobby and not everybody should be expected to see eye to eye with each other; sometimes that makes for great discussions of opposing opinions, lately though, far too many forumites (on both sides of various issues) have been disrespecting others' rights to expressing different opinions. This has come in the forms of:
    • personal attacks
    • harassment
    • vendetta posting (following a forumite into other discussion threads and continuing the argument)
    • thread takeovers (posting over and over about your argument without letting others get their say)
    The list goes on, but the problem remains the same, certain users have become intolerant of others' views. SSG is a forum for ALL views - whether they agree with yours or not; whether they are positive or negative - and we do not want to see these forums deteriorate into petty squables fueled by a lack of respect for a difference of opinion. This lack of respect also creates the "golden rule in action" effect, where you do not respect others and then become upset when others show you and your opinions the same disrespect. This creates a cycle - a downward spiral that does nobody any good - and we all need to work together to end this cycle.

Please, help keep these forums a fun place to hang out by respecting everybody else's opinions - especially those that don't agree with you.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Question personal attacks? harassment? vendetta posting? thread takeovers? The list goes on??

if i've whined it once, i've whined 1000 times: I MISS OUT ON ALL THE FUN
    sounds like maybe all you need's a hired gun, someone who can make a troublemaker feel like a jackass with just a squirt of his own medicine now maybe some here'd reply that "fighting fire w/fire solves nothing", but maybe you've forgotten how surgical & searing my fire can be just point me where the trouble is- it's not like i read all these forums or threds

"feeling harassed"
    -recipients must take some responsibility for that, cuz "feeling harassed" is often in the eye of the beholder and/or a choice. if one doesn't have the stamina to hang tough, remain unintimidated & laugh off the inconsequential "intolerance" of one's inferiors (it's not like other forummers can literally Prevent one from expressing one's view; and yes, intolerance of different views marks one as an inferior in My book ), then maybe one should crochet oneself a lil dollhouse where he can sit on his candy bottom & throw a tea party for one's 12" sw figs, who have the virtue of being unable to sass back
    even in 2002 the analogy of internet as wild west remains valid, as does its extension of forums as saloons where drifters of like interest can congregate, chew the fat, cut deals and occasionally clock the smug mugs of one's fellow sh****kickers :happy: it's harmless steam-blowin, good dirty fun-
    vt

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    [*]vendetta posting
    Can we make an exception for vendetta posting against Action Online?

Jackals.