View Poll Results: Should Hasbro add a modern version of the Imperial Dignitary to our collections?

Voters
758. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make him!

703 92.74%
  • No thanks.

34 4.49%
  • Hasbro should stick to prequel figures this year.

21 2.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Should Hasbro add a modern version of the Imperial Dignitary to our collections?

As promised, in a slowly continuing series of polls to examine whether our readers want all the vintage figures remade for the modern collection, this week we look at the Imperial Dignitary.

Should Hasbro add a modern version of the Imperial Dignitary to our collections?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imperial dignitary.jpg  

Re: Should Hasbro add a modern version of the Imperial Dignitary to our collections?

Originally posted by Tycho
    I would have to say, definatly. Though deciding how many for them to make is the problem. There are a total of 5 Imperial Diginitaries in ROTJ. But only two are really featured in the movie, the two that are talking together when Vader comes into the Emporer's Throne Room. One of these 2 were produced in the original POTF line. I think the best thing would be for Hasbro to do maybe do 1 every year, and then include 2 with the Imperial Shuttle when it's reissued. Though frankly, going by the followig picture, they can forget making the one that looks like he has a Teletubbie head hat on. Or does it look like Jonathen Winters with a nipple on his head? You make the call!!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Imperial Dignitaries Picture:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imperial dignitaries.jpg  
    Last edited by Beast; 02-25-2002 at 02:15 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I don't think 5 are necessary. The vintage one redone, definately, the other predominant dignitary would be nice, but I would not buy all 5. The 2 main ones are all we need.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Of Course, Silly!

How about we cut to the chase and run a poll: Should Hasbro make a modern version of ALL remaining unmade vintage figures. YES YES YES!!!
    AND THEN SOME! Most of my friends agree that the classic stuff has been much closer to our hearts. I can only hope EP2 will change this.
    In response to JarJar Binks, I'll have to agree with Wolfwood319. 2 Dignitaries would be sufficient. If we want to be accurate perhaps we could use a few more ewoks??
    Oh, and by the way... While we are polling why not request a 12" Leia Bespin from Hasbro? I'd say Endor too but we all know they can't pass up the oportunity to use that same speederbike mold again!

Does Hasbro only have like two or three "mold" things that only allow a couple figures at a time? Why not make all of them? Why spread them out over the next 15 years? We see something like 5 new figures every 6 months or so and one vehicle or playset even less frequently. All of that foreign labor is supposed to be cheap. What's the holdup?

Re: Re: Should Hasbro add a modern version of the Imperial Dignitary to our collections?

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    Though frankly, going by the followig picture, they can forget making the one that looks like he has a Teletubbie head hat on. Or does it look like Jonathen Winters with a nipple on his head? You make the call!!
    Imperial Dignitaries Picture:
    LOL JarJar; no, no, no. You have it backwards. It's another case of ILM fooling around like they did with ET. The Coneheads obviously made an appearance without us even realizing it!

Seriously though, he DOES bear a freakish resemblance to Jonathan Winters, he even has that little smirk...
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Originally posted by stillakid
    Does Hasbro only have like two or three "mold" things that only allow a couple figures at a time? Why not make all of them? Why spread them out over the next 15 years? We see something like 5 new figures every 6 months or so and one vehicle or playset even less frequently. All of that foreign labor is supposed to be cheap. What's the holdup?
    Well Stillakid, there's a lot involved in making a brand new figure. I'll break down the requirements as well as I can (if I miss something anybody else let me know):

1: a sculpt of the figure. This is generally done by hand and is probably the single most time-consuming part . I'm including the time it takes to design the figure on paper as well as actually making wax sculpts and prototypes.

2: Create a mold. The mold is what they use on the production line to actually make the figure. It's usually aluminum and they are VERY expensive to make. We do the same thing at my buisness and you DON'T want something bad to happen to that mold, because they're usually very costly.

3: Producing the figure. Once you have the mold, you have to set up all the machines and workers on the production line to assemble, paint and package them. The problem with this is that Hasbro only has a limited number of production lines to devote to Star Wars, so I don't think they can have an unlimited number of figures being produced at once.

These are the basic steps in making the figures, but there are a whole bunch of smaller details I left out or that I don't even know about. But you can see how much time and effort it takes just to make ONE figure, much less five or six.
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Actually, I'll chime in to what Stillakid said, because in theory I like it. Practically though, the end run of it has more to do with Sales.
    The typical distribution problems this company and their main buyers have with Star Wars is the reason for any hold up. How much we as a group will buy goes into part of that too. In order to provide a variety of 'action scene' action figures, Hasbro would never do 5 Dignitaries all at once, especially carded, in a one-year period. The Shuttle pack-in is a good option for another one though.

Personally, I'm in total agreement with TK006 and Wolfwood. The main two Dignitaries you see later when Vader reports to Palpatine would be sufficient. I like this especially since the one never made into a figure before has become Sate Pestage in some good EU tales from Rogue Squadron. Meanwhile, some of the polls I want to do tie into themes, and this one applies to getting all the vintage figures we enjoyed in the '80's redone. A couple months back, a majority of the readers voted for Romba, and in a while longer, I'm all for looking at Crix Madine and a Red Group human B-wing pilot like we had back in the old days. There's a list of about 12 more left to do, and I'm sort of approaching them from ROTJ back to ANH and a silver Death Star Droid. There's no question that the Dignitary would be popular though.

Originally posted by Tycho
    Personally, I'm in total agreement with TK006 and Wolfwood. The main two Dignitaries you see later when Vader reports to Palpatine would be sufficient. I like this especially since the one never made into a figure before has become Sate Pestage in some good EU tales from Rogue Squadron.
    I agree also Tycho, those two are fine. My post was meant more as a joke, I know Hasbro would probably never do all 5. Let's atleast hope that they never do Jonathan Winters. But yeah, the two main Dignitaries in Palpatine's Throne Room are perfect. Pack one in with the shuttle with a new cloth cloak emporer, and then the other can come on the card.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I agree. The two main dignitaries are all we need. Crix Madine would be great to have as well. Hopefully Hasbro will end up releasing all the old vintage figures with new sculpts. Like Tycho said, we only have about a dozen more to go. I also agree with tk006 that we need more ewoks. So far this year we will be getting paploo and teebo. Along with Wicket and Logray that we already have, that's 4 so far. Probably not that many more to go after that.
    "Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun."