Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Would You Buy The Droid Gunship?

I'm going to start a new thread series, however this one will be the last installment for this week and I'll wait until folks return on Monday to create another. Overall, there will be 3 PT vehicles to discuss in the meanwhile, and we'll move on to 3 OT vehicles and an EU one next week.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread [in this case the Droid Gunship from ROTS and The Clone Wars(?)].

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe (I guess - we'll see how that goes).

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Droid Gunship vehicle from Revenge of the Sith.

I envision this vehicle for the $30 price range most likely. I think it could be done for $20, but it would be undersized. Lego has created a really nice one for their building set line.

The key features here on the Droid Gunship will be row upon row of firing missiles and dropping bombs.

The vehicle is probably automatically controlled by a droid brain of its own, but a cockpit could be put in it to hold either a Battle Droid Pilot, or a Jedi character like Mace Windu who might take over the ship during kids' play with their action figures.

Do you want the Droid Gunship made? For $30? How about for a $20 price range and slightly less accurate and smaller?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Does the ship being a potential Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here? (Has it even been featured in the Clone Wars animated show yet?)

Nope. Maybe back in 2005-06 when I was interested in recreating a small portion of the Kashyyk battle, but not now.

I definitely think this would have to be in the $25 line, since it's barely visible and it's never really clear onscreen whether it carries troops or not. Also it doesn't really do anything cool like walk or transform, so there's no real need for it to be a larger deluxe vehicle.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Nope, wouldn't buy one.

The playability of lots of firing missiles might make it kid friendly. But it doesn't look star wars and would need to appear heavily in several CW eps before kids would recognize it and want it.

I'd buy a $20 version if it could hold a couple of Battle Droids and/or Commando Droids as pilots. Perhaps the new folding Battle Droid mold would make it possible to fit 4 or 5 Battle Droids in the troop carrier portion.

Not for $30. $20 maybe, because it preys upon my weakness for droids.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)

i'd pass. sorry Tycho.... i would rather a TPM Droid Control Ship. I would lay down $$$$ for a large vehicle like that.
    Looking for CW 2010 Sidious and TX-20...if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

This one I would actually buy.

It could be made in the $20-25 scale range with enough detail to be fun.

-I'd buy it, since its a combat vehicle. I do like the overall design of it. There hasn't been near as many vehicles made for the droids as there has been for republic forces. I would spend over $30 for proper scale vehicle or even under that for a scaled back version, provided it wasn't too small. The big knock against it, IMO, is the lack of screen time. But, I think it could be a decent seller if done properly.

Hey Tycho, do you want us to just answer whether we would buy this or not? Or do you want us to answer the rest of the questions too since they are listed?