Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Wolfy, how old were you when you saw it as a kid? I was 4, and I remember being frightened by the guys in the NASA suits and the whole quarantine thing. Ironically, I remembered those scenes as more tense than they seemed the other day . . . that's gotta be due to how long it's been since I've seen it.

I remember my mom being a huge fan of it, and got the tape when I was 9 or 10 or so. By that time I was completely engulfed in He-Man, Thundercats, and TMNT, and I didn't want to waste my time with some story about a kid and an alien. Its just never grew on me I guess, and I remember seeing it a few years ago and finding it a trifle boring.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

No theatres for me...

I'll just wait for the DVD. I've had the VHS for about 15 years! Damn! I remember when it came out on VHS. We had so many pre-orders on that thing. They were stacked to the ceiling at our store. Whooooo! Those were the days... Gosh, I sure do miss them!
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I've been looking forward to this--I loved ET as a youngster, and had the privilege of taking my girlfriend (who never saw it on the big screen) and her niece (who'd never seen it) on Tuesday.

Every bit as good as I remember--even better, in fact! The CG and restored scenes were handled far better than in the SWSE's. Maybe a total of two or three minutes added in, and the only time I could definitely identify the CG was when it was because I knew a particular effect would've been impossible in 1982. Having heard about the gun issue in advance, I was able to see the itchy trigger fingers on the walkie-talkies and noticed Mary silently shouting, "You can't use guns on children!" But you know what? It really didn't matter. This is a minor point, not "Greedo shot first."

And the score. . . wow. Williams has a habit of topping himself over and over. And it's pretty cool to see Drew Barrymore turning in the best acting of her career.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by Caesar
    [B]Wellllll[/B
    It would have been cool to see Harrison Ford as the principal, but that scene didn't make it back in

Cops with guns/walkie talkies ? ? ? It's lame that they changed it but it didn't alter my love for this movie.
    Actually, Harrison Ford apparently never appears in that scene. Or at least not his face. You just see him from Elliots perspective, sitting in a chair. Too bad they didn't put it in though. It would still be a really neat scene.

The gun thing doesn't really bother me, I just don't see why they had to do it. At some point you just have to say to hell with political correctness. Besides, they never even fired one of the guns did they?
    Wha'choo talkin 'bout Hasselhoff?

Caesar, I was always freaked out by the spacesuits , too. I think it's because as four year olds (Well, I was seven) we see the world in black and white terms and the "spacesuits" are "evil", whereas when we watch it today, we realize the guys in the spacesuits are doing a neccessary job of quarantining the E.T. and although they are antagonists, they have more benelovent motives that skew into a gray area rather than black and white, and as more mature audience members, we realize this, so they don't bother us as much. That and we've seen it more than once or thrice, so we know what happens now.

Some lady called our theatre and asked if E.T. was only playing for one day. My manager assured her it would be here for at least a couple weeks and she said "Oh. because I saw an ad that said "Only in theatres March 22nd ."

haw haw. People are such idiots.

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Caesar, I was always freaked out by the spacesuits , too. I think it's because as four year olds (Well, I was seven) we see the world in black and white terms and the "spacesuits" are "evil", whereas when we watch it today, we realize the guys in the spacesuits are doing a neccessary job of quarantining the E.T. and although they are antagonists, they have more benelovent motives that skew into a gray area rather than black and white, and as more mature audience members, we realize this, so they don't bother us as much. That and we've seen it more than once or thrice, so we know what happens now.
    Well stated I had no memory of Peter Coyote's compassion in that movie, and it was certainly different than expected. I almost felt like I was watching a new movie . . .

Have they already announced a DVD release date? It's a must for me, I'm ashamed I never bought the VHS

WHAT!?!

Caesar- are you talking about THE e.t.?!? That "redux" of the original? HMMMMMM........
    I saw et when it came out(i was ten or eleven, i think) and I remember that it was the first time I actually objectively considered a film(critically, anyways). I thought that if it weren't for the atmosphere and the abundant emotional blackmail there wouldn't have been anything "to" the film. I honestly decided that I never wanted to see it again, and not because I thought it was bad; just something intangible that seeing the film made me feel for the first time. (keep in mind that I'm cynical enough to kill at 20 paces with only a few words)
    I guess it wouldn't have bothered me if it'd remained in the musty past, but the only response this "special edition" engendered in me was "OH NO- now hollywoods not even gonna bother re-shooting films anymore". I mean, "EVERYONES FAVOURITE FILM" is always gonna be "EVERYONES FAVOURITE", right? Especially simple, timeless themes like "make kids like a character and then tell them he's dying"- couple of new FX and BAM!!! Re- classic-ized!
    Sorry for my negative posts lately, winter just keeps coming back up here and it's ticking me off. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Originally posted by Caesar
    Have they already announced a DVD release date? It's a must for me, I'm ashamed I never bought the VHS
    Well, no official announcment, but rumors and some early info is pointing to Late July or August. But, It has been confirmed by Spielburg to be a multidisc release, and the original unaltered version of the film will be included. Not sure if the terrorist line will be intact on the original version, as it was removed from all prints of the movie that have ever been released on home video. I do hope that they include all the stuff from the 4 disc Laserdisc edition as well. There was a goodsized making of feature, and lots of deleted scenes, including the one of Harrison Ford as Elliot's Principal.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Here's an interesting clip, Universal is apparently disappointed in the film's special edition box office. Obviously, they are expecting nice results with DVD sales.

http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/...s.cfm?id=28933