Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Some lady called our theatre and asked if E.T. was only playing for one day. My manager assured her it would be here for at least a couple weeks and she said "Oh. because I saw an ad that said "Only in theatres March 22nd ."

haw haw. People are such idiots.
    Rollo, I used to get people showing up at my theater asking for tickets to movies that came out the year before because they'd just seen a commercial for it on t.v....the VIDEO commercial! I've even had people get mad and try insult my theater by saying things like "Then I'll just go to that other theater! I bet they have it playing!".

HA HA. Yes...people are idiots.

I like how Universal and Dreamworks are blaming the "bust" on the fact kids aren't in tune with "flying bicycles" and whatnot.

They're basically saying that they don't know what kids want these days, and failed miserably with the rerelease. And instead of taking the blame themeselves, they blame today's kids. Movie execs are the scum of the earth....

Arrrr...
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

I dunno where TheForce.Net got their information Ceaser, but they are wrong. The original version of ET will be on the regular DVD set as well, from what I have read on the DVD websites. It's going to be a 2 disc set, though I originally heard 3. I havent even heard anything abut this "E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set". I will do some info gathering, and get back to you about it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 06-06-2002 at 02:11 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

From DVDangle.com:
    That lovable E.T. will find his home on DVD on 10/22...for a limited time. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition will be available for 10 weeks only -- until the end of the year. Priced at $22.98, both the original cut and the new cut of the movie will be included (no official word yet on the aspect ratio or audio format). There will be a whopping "10" hours of bonus material including an isolated score as well as featurettes from 1982 as well as the 20th anniversary. More details are expected soon, but the word so far is most of the extras from the stunning special edition laserdisc set will not be included. Frankly it would be criminal not to include the 1996 documentary...we'll have to wait and see.

From Thedigitalbits.com:
    We've got word today that Universal's forthcoming E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Collector's Edition DVD (which is expected on 10/22 - SRP $22.95) will be a 10-week only limited release. The 2-disc set will include both the original and new anniversary versions of the film, along with some 10 hours of extras. There will be original featurettes with director Steven Spielberg talking about both versions of the film, along with composer John Williams' score on an isolated audio track and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere. Just one more must-have disc in an already crowded 4th quarter. It's gonna get VERY expensive this holiday season for you DVD fans. Anyway, click here to read more via Yahoo.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Here is the news from Yahoo:

"E.T." Comes Home on DVD, Briefly
    Thu Jun 6, 5:11 AM ET
    By Jennifer Netherby and Scott Hettrick

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Steven Spielberg's "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," the second highest-grossing movie not yet released on DVD, will come home again on Oct. 22, but only for a brief visit.

Universal Studios Home Video (USHV) will reintroduce the alien creature to home video audiences in both his big screen incarnations (original and re-release) in a limited DVD Collector's Edition ($22.95) for 10 weeks only before the title goes on moratorium indefinitely. It is the first Universal video to get a limited release.

USHV president Craig Kornblau said he expects the title to be one of the top-selling DVDs of a very crowded fourth quarter. "This has been our most requested title routinely," he said.

The only title bigger than "E.T." that has yet to be released on DVD is the first "Star Wars" theatrical release. George Lucas has said he will likely not release any of the first three Star Wars movies on DVD until he completes work on the sixth film.

The double-disc Limited Edition "E.T." DVD features 10 hours of extras. Spielberg appears in original featurettes describing all facets of the production of the original 1982 theatrical release and the updated 20th anniversary theatrical release earlier this year.

Another unique element is the isolated track of John Williams' score, which he updated for the re-release, and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, complete with a four-minute overture and light show.

The DVD release will cap Universal's 18-month marketing campaign that geared up around its theatrical re-release last March and incorporated its theme parks.

"We put the whole company behind it," Kornblau said. "We're kicking out all cylinders on this."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I'm not convinced, that quote from Digital Bits appears incomplete. Here's what I just copied from them, I set the additional info in bold type . . .

We've got word today that Universal's forthcoming E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition DVD (which is expected on 10/22 - SRP $29.95 - available in dual widescreen and full frame formats) will be a 10-week only limited release. The 2-disc set will include the new anniversary version of the film, along with some 10 hours of extras. You'll get video of director Steven Spielberg talking about the film (20 Years Later with Steven Spielberg), deleted scenes, composer John Williams' score on an isolated audio track and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, a 50-minute The Evolution of E.T. documentary, the cast & crew Reunion Featurette, galleries of production photos and artwork and more. There will also be an E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set that same day ($69.98 SRP), which will include BOTH the original theatrical version and the 2002 theatrical version, along with the CD soundtrack, the original script and a collectible senitype. This more expensive set is the ONLY way to get both versions of the film. Just more must-have discs in an already crowded 4th quarter. It's gonna get VERY expensive this holiday season for you DVD fans.

Yep, sorry Caesar, looks like they updated with new information after the fact. Oh well, I will buy the boxed set, and ignore the 2-disc set. This explains why the set was originally stated to be a 3 disc set. After all, if I can buy the theatrical edition of Lord of the Rings and the Special Edition of it, I can do the same thing gladly for ET. Plus I only have to buy the one set, to get both. I wish they would have done a 7 disc set of the theatrical and extended cut for LOTR's. By the way, here is the cover art for the 2-disc SE.

From TheDigitalBits.Com:
    We've got a couple more CONFIRMED details for you on the E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set. The set WILL INCLUDE ALL of the extras that are on the Limited Collector's Edition DVD (basically, you get the same disc), along with the original theatrical version of the film on a separate disc, the script, the soundtrack CD and the senitype. Both versions of the film in the Gift Set will be anamorphic widescreen, in case you were wondering. And again, this is direct from Universal.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	et dvd.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	2160  

Just saw this at DVDReview.com, huge disapointment for those of us without DVD-Rom drives in our computers.

Bad news for E.T. (June 26, 2002)
    Some clarification has come in on the special features for the upcoming E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial DVDs finally coming this fall. And the news is a mixed blessing.

On the positive side, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has went the extra mile with the DVD-ROM content. Instead of the typical, script access and screensavers, Universal has teamed up with Total Axess to provide many unique online features.

The bad news is that the promised deleted scenes and theatrical trailers will only be available through this online content, which means users without DVD-ROMs and broadband Internet connections, are left out. And even users with the technology will only be able to watch the footage via DVD-ROM.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e.t. ultimate gift set.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	2431  

Now that's just silly.
    Shouldn't DVD cater to Home Theater ? I'd love to just lounge around watching the movie and then the deleted scenes, but instead I'll have to get up and switch the disc over to my DVD-Rom . . . . which I don't even have!