Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I'm not so sure that Wal-Mart will be able to beat that one, $14.95 is a killer deal. Plus if you need batteries for your remotes, you get another $4.00 of with the purchase of 2 packs of Rayovac batteries.

There is some other differences between the two. Like you said, the 50 minute documentary is missing from the 2-disc set to fit the 1982 version of the movie. But also exclusive to the Gift set is an 18 minute documentary "Creating E.T." and a short 10 minute discussion with John Williams, "The Music Of "E.T." - A Discussion With John Williams".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Also the 18 minute "Reunion" on the 2 disc set is expanded on the 3 disc. Still not ebough for me to shell out an extra 40 bucks. Other good news is that both DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks are on both versions of the films for both the 2 disc and 3 disc sets.

Dang. . . . I'd love to have the feature with John Williams, but I don't think it's worth $40. I wish they had just the three-disc version without the soundtrack (because seriously, who is going to get a set like this who doesn't already have the soundtrack?) or the other stuff. Guess I can live without it, though, especially if it's only ten minutes.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

It's worth it, if you can pick it up for cheap. I think some store on-line has it for like $48.00 or so. I think it may be Deep Discount DVD. Me and quite a few friends are getting ours for about $30.00 with 3 day shipping, thanks to a mistake on K-Mart's website. *Knock on wood.*

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah I had my sister order 2 from Kmart for the goof up price.

Well, it looks like I spoke to soon about the DTS track being on the 1982 version of E.T. in the 3 disc boxset. Dvdfile has received emails that "some" of the boxsets do not include it.

I don't think that DVDFile knows what they are talking about. I don't think that the Gift Set has DTS on the 1982 version of the film, and if it doesn't, then no big loss. The film never had a DTS track originally, so they would have had to create one from the DD masters. So the sound is not going to sound as "pure", since it had to be created after the fact. Besides, there is no real discernable difference between DD and DTS in most people's ears anyway.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    I don't think that DVDFile knows what they are talking about. I don't think that the Gift Set has DTS on the 1982 version of the film, and if it doesn't, then no big loss. The film never had a DTS track originally, so they would have had to create one from the DD masters. So the sound is not going to sound as "pure", since it had to be created after the fact. Besides, there is no real discernable difference between DD and DTS in most people's ears anyway.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    The digital bitshas reported the same problem with the 1982 version of E.T. not having a DTS track for the 3 disc set.

And even though "maybe some" people can't tell the difference between DD/DTS, the fact is I can. For a release like this it makes little difference, compared to today's mixes, but I would still like to see it on any DVD I buy regardless.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    It's the three disker for me. I don't care about all that video hooey and nonsense, but I can't live without the comemorative lithograph. I'm a junkie for those things!

Kidding. I want as much behind the scenes stuff as possible. An extra disc worth of documentaries is more important than variant film versions (I prefer the original. the new one seems more gimmicky than him actually redoing it "the way he wanted"...Sounds like George has had Steve's ear at too many of their dinner parties.) and I never got the Soundtrack so this will be great.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

The lithograph and book does look really good from the pictures I've seen EP. I can't wait for my Gift Set to come either, though I will probably pick up a cheap copy of the basic 2-discer at K-Mart for $14.95.

But yeah, I'm such a slave to special features. I want all the info possible about the movie, it's just to bad that Spielburg doesn't like doing audio commentaries. Oh well, they extra features will suffice.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks