Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Music by the Decade: 90s

Same "rules" as in the 80s thread, 'cept I'm too lazy (like most slacker Gen-Xers at this time ) to create a list (list... ) right now. What're your songs from Jan.1, 1990 to Dec.31, 1999?
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
    Pearl Jam, "Jeremy"
    Nine inch Nails, "Closer"
    U2, "One"
    Counting Crows, "Mr Jones"
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

I'll give all these a shot later, but want to put some thought into them. I might even be able to drag some non-SW collecting folks into the discussion....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Much like the 80's, I'm not a huge 90's music fan. Nirvana is good, but vastly overrated beyond belief. Same goes for Pearl Jam and Radiohead (though they're better than the others). When it actually was the late 90's, there was of course the dominance of pop artists like NSYNC, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, and so on . . . surprise, surprise, ten years later and their music hasn't stood the test of time (even if some of them have gone on to be successful otherwise).

One of, if not my favorite eras of music.

Some of my favorite bands were:

The Grays (one album Ro Sham Bo every song excellent!)
    Dada (Puzzle every song excellent!)
    Stone Temple Pilots (every song every album excellent!)
    Alice in Chains (Dirt every song excellent!)
    Soundgarden (also Temple of the Dog off-shoot Say Hello to Heaven & Hunger Strike) with Eddie Vedder of PJ)
    Gin Blossoms
    Weezer
    U2
    Sublime
    Foo Fighters
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Garbage

Funny some bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam never really thrilled me that much, though I did like some songs they did like Pearl Jam's Corderoy and Nirvana's In the Pines

Lots of one hit bands put out some good stuff. Lots of lame efforts though.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    Funny some bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam never really thrilled me that much, though I did like some songs they did like Pearl Jam's Corderoy and Nirvana's In the Pines
    I had to look up that "In the Pines" because it didn't sound familiar to me. Turns out it is "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" That entire Unplugged performance was great - an excellent example of how to use the format. They didn't just play their hits, but did some lesser known songs, and some great covers, bringing attention to some artists both old and new that people may not have heard of.

I kind of lost track of Pearl Jam after Vitalogy. I did get No Code and Yield a few years ago, but never got into them as much. Those first three albums were all pretty good, with Vs. being my favorite.

The original Leadbelly song was recorded several times and released as both "In the Pines" and "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" I've heard rumored, but never confirmed, it was also released with the lyric "black girl, black girl, don't you lie to me," under the name "Black Girl," but I think the guy who told me that mixed up his stories and is thinking of Chuck Berry (who had to change a song he called "Brown-Skinned Handsome Man" to "Brown-Eyed Handsome Man" prior to recording it, as well as had to change the word "colored*" to "country" in "Johnny B. Goode").

*--Man, even referring to something historical, it feels creepy to use that word.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Stone Temple Pilots.
    List complete, lock thread.

STP is easily #1 of all-time on my list, but I'll post many of my favorites from my favorite decade of music tomorrow.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    *--Man, even referring to something historical, it feels creepy to use that word.
    What's wrong with colored? There is the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

Edit - Oops. I made a long post, but it belongs in the 60's thread. I'll post it there.

I thought about my own creation (not not Another Bad Creation's "At the Playground" ), and here's my best-represents-the-decade track list, again with artists in no meaningful order:

1. "Love Will Never Do Without You" Janet Jackson
    2. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" Nirvana
    3. "Can't Touch This" MC Hammer
    4. "Bye Bye Bye" N' Sync
    5. "Who Let the Dogs Out?" Baha Men
    6. "Black Hole Sun" Soundgarden
    7. "End of the Road" Boyz 2 Men
    8. "Black or White" Michael Jackson
    9. "Hit Me Baby, One More Time" Brittney Spears
    10. "Enter Sandman" Metallica
    11. "Today" Smashing Pumpkins
    12. "Cryin" Aerosmith
    13. "Emotions" Mariah Carey
    14. "Jump Around" House of Pain
    15. "Nothin' But a G Thang" Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg
    16. "Never Gonna Get It" En Vogue
    Bonus Track: "Genie in a Bottle" Christina Aguilera

Keep in mind, these aren't songs I necessarily LIKE, but ones that sum up that time. There are some here that I despise.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."