Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Do you remember your real mother?"

LUKE: Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
    LEIA: Just a little bit. She died when I was very young.
    LUKE: What do you remember?
    LEIA: Just images, really. Feelings.
    LUKE: Tell me.
    LEIA: She was very beautiful. Kind, but sad.
    So, how do we know that Leia's not talking about Breha? Everyone seems to assume she's referring to Padme, but where is it stated that Breha didn't die when Leia was a young child? Most stories that feature Leia prior to ANH feature Bail only, and he seems to either be a widower or possibly married to someone who takes a very hands-off approach to Leia.

I dunno, to me, the only way any of it makes sense is if Leia thinks Breha was her biological mother and she was raised by either a later stepmother or a servant. From what little we see of Breha, she seems like she could fit the very beautiful, but sad description.

I just cannot at all overlook the assumption that Padme pops out a six-month-old baby (with none of the associated goo), and it's even more laughable that this baby, no matter how Force sensitive, could remember this mother from a few seconds immediately after her birth.

So, to me, the "real mother" isn't really the real mother Leia thinks she is. It's Breha, not Padme. Anything that states otherwise, I'll ignore like The Clone Wars and Legacy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Why did Luke assume Leia knew she was adopted?

LUKE: Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?
    LEIA: Just a little bit. She died when I was...[PAUSE] Wait, what do you mean "real" mother?
    LUKE: Ummm...[RUNS AWAY]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

That part, I figured just came up in conversation during the years between ANH and ROTJ. The two were close, and I imagine Leia would've wanted to talk to someone about the trauma of everyone on her homeworld being disintegrated while she was forced to watch.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

But it would seem much easier (and safer for Leia) if Bail never told her, even though it must've been obvious since Leia isn't part Puerto Rican.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]He passes to Moses - He shoots, he scores![/FONT]
    Mummy of the raincoat is a gigantic trollop.
    DOMINATE!

That's what I'm saying, RB. She grew up assuming Breha was her mother, until she died when she was a toddler or maybe early elementary age--an age where an adult would still have some memories. Even if it wasn't common knowledge that Padme was married to Anakin, telling her that her mother was a senator from another world whose body was doctored to look like it was still pregnant when she was buried might've been problematic. And if Leia was the youngest senator in the Empire, where she was likely to run into Palpatine and Vader (and did, according to the EU), letting her in on knowledge that, if spilled, would let Vader know she was his kid (if not the other way around) would be a really, really serious problem.

No, she definitely thought Breha was her real mother in my book, until after the conversation with Luke on Endor.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I'm sorta on RB's side on this one. If she grew up thinking Breha was her real mother, wouldn't she have said, "What do you mean real mother" when he asked? I imagine since they were close, they would have discussed Breha and she would have found the real mother question odd, especially considering Luke being rasied by a Uncle and Aunt. I would have thought Luke would have asked what it was like to be raised by real parents.

You ever see that episode of Robot Chicken where at Micheal Jacksons acquittal, a spaceship crashes and out pops the real Micheal Jackson? I wonder if the Original Trilogy GL is somewhere out in space and the alien created GL never actually saw the original trilogy.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

She thought Breha was her birth mother. Someone else, likely a second wife of Bail's who would've been Leia's stepmother, was her adopted mother. She would have memories of Breha, but not many, and the second Mrs Organa would be the person she normally spoke of as her mother.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    She thought Breha was her birth mother. Someone else, likely a second wife of Bail's who would've been Leia's stepmother, was her adopted mother. She would have memories of Breha, but not many, and the second Mrs Organa would be the person she normally spoke of as her mother.
    I suppose that make sense, but then we are assuming that that Breha died or was divorced before Allderan was destroyed. I agree it can't be Padme, no matter what wookieepedia says.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Uh, okay. I just figured she could sense familial connections through the Force more than Luke could - she claimed to always know that Luke was her brother, but Luke didn't seem to have a clue (he did figure it out pretty quickly when Obi-Wan said he had a sister, but he only had like three options anyway). That's probably also why she could sense Luke calling out to her from Cloud City, but nobody else could.

Leia never said she remembers going out to lunch with her mom before preschool, she just said - well, you know what she said. Nothing she says in ROTJ was contradicted by ROTS.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Nothing she says in ROTJ was contradicted by ROTS.
    Well that depends on how you take it. If you believe she is refering to Breha like El Chuxter brought up, then that statement is true.

If you believe she is refering to Padme, then you also have to believe that as a premature baby, Leia has the greatest memory in history.

If you believe GL never actually sat down and watched ROTJ.......