Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Do You Like / Rate The Action Figure Waves?

Since 2006, we've kind of gotten themed waves of figures (2005 was all ROTS).

I rather like this pattern. Which were your favorites?

2006:

ROTJ - Battling Jabba at the Pit of Carkoon
    AOTC - Geonosis
    ROTS - Coruscant / EU
    ESB - Hoth
    ANH - Tatooine
    ROTJ - Endor
    TPM - Naboo
    Repaints

2007: TAC

ROTS - Mustafar / Order 66
    ANH - Yavin
    ANH - Mos Eisley
    ROTJ - Jabbas
    Exp Univ
    ESB - Bespin
    Repaint
    ROTJ - Endor
    AOTC - Kamino

2008 / 2009 : BAD

ROTJ - Jabbas
    Clone Wars - Mon Calamari
    ANH - Death Star / Mos Eisley
    ESB - Bespin
    AOTC - Tatooine / Coruscant / Geonosis
    TPM - Naboo / Tatooine

Or something like that. I've forgotten some waves I'm sure. But I rather like the theme releases

The themes are alright, but I think I prefer the waves to be based on the films, not just on scenes from the films. The upcoming ROTJ wave is a great example of a movie-themed wave with a lot of variety to it. Because we are getting a nice mix of resculpts and all-new characters from all aspects of ROTJ: core characters, Jabba's thugs, Ewoks, Rebels. It's just a great wave overall.

Also, as a strictly OT collector, I would prefer it if we were guaranteed that every other wave would be an OT wave. So no releasing a TPM wave immediately after an AOTC wave.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

The ordering of the waves doesn't bother me, if they released waves in film order (TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ then EU) I wouldn't mind at all. I prefer film based waves to scene based waves simply because sometimes it's just really difficult to round out an entire wave with just one scene. Hoth being a good example, a wave of just Hoth figures would not do as well as a wave that could include a Boba Fett figure. Though an all Jabba's Palace wave or Cantina wave would be great with collectors it would again struggle with kids.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

I've quite liked the themed waves. Didn't they say they'd be moving away from them in the future, though? I mean, I like to get a bunch of figures from the same movie at once, but it would be nice to get a TPM figure more than once every two years, and I'm sure the OT-only people wouldn't mind having at least something to pick up more frequently. But I do think it's good for them to release a few figures at a time that compliment each other, like at least two figures from any given scene, as opposed to just a bunch of random stuff. I suppose they can't always do that, but it would be nice, and it would likely even drive up sales a bit.

And the planet-specific themes haven't really been around for quite some time, as seen by Tycho's attempt to classify some more recent ones in that fashion.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

My favorite waves so far were:

2008 Clone Wars Micro Series wave
    2009 TPM Naboo-Tatooine
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

I agree with Barada. I would like to see more movie-themed waves as opposed to scene waves. I think we you pick a whole movie you can give something for everyone. Not everyone is interested in scene X, necessarily.
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]"There was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR!" - Annie Wilkes [/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    2008 / 2009 : BAD

ROTJ - Jabbas
    Clone Wars - Mon Calamari
    ANH - Death Star / Mos Eisley
    ESB - Bespin
    AOTC - Tatooine / Coruscant / Geonosis
    TPM - Naboo / Tatooine
    I don't think the Legacy waves have been really scene specific at all. The initial ROTJ wave from 2008 had only two characters from Jabba's Palace, 3 characters from a cut scene, an Ewok, and Vader from the Endor battle. So it was hardly a true "Jabba's Palace" wave.

The ESB wave only featured one character from Bespin, one Hoth soldier, Luke and Leia from the end of the film and an Imperial Officer that was dead before the heroes even made it to Bespin.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

That reminds me: how about a "Dead Characters Wave?"

Crispy Owen - ANH
    Crispy Beru - ANH
    AT-ST Flattened Ewok - ROTJ
    Burnt Jawa - ANH
    Shmi Skywalker corpse - AOTC
    Dead Yoda - ROTJ
    Dead Qui-Gon - TPM
    Dead Padme - ROTS

There are main characters for everyone, and almost all the movies are represented.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    That reminds me: how about a "Dead Characters Wave?"

Crispy Owen - ANH
    Crispy Beru - ANH
    AT-ST Flattened Ewok - ROTJ
    Burnt Jawa - ANH
    Shmi Skywalker corpse - AOTC
    Dead Yoda - ROTJ
    Dead Qui-Gon - TPM
    Dead Padme - ROTS

There are main characters for everyone, and almost all the movies are represented.
    You can already do a custom Dead Yoda. Just use an empty cloak.

Ah likes me a wave with at least one OT trooper type in it. That way, if it's a prequel-focused wave, it'll have at least 1 figure in it I'd buy, which lessens my chances of leaving a store empty-handed and bummed. Kind of like what they did recently -- putting a Biker Scout in with the TPM wave.