Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pegwarming figures "destroyed"?

I've come accross Hasbro's Q&A answers to the Sandtroopers.com questions and the last question addresses the fate of the pegwarmers recently pulled by Hasbro's retail reps. Hasbro's answer was somewhat disturbing to say the least:

3) Now that Hasbro has "supposedly" went around to some stores in some areas and removed the "peg warmers" of Yarna, Trinto Duaba, etc. - how long will it be before we can expect those figures to ship in the Legends line?

It is not "supposed" - we *did* have our legions of retail folk pull back a number of slower moving figures including Yarna, Ak-Rev, the Organas, and Cantina aliens in order to remove them from retailer inventory and stimulate shipment of new waves. They are being destroyed and will never ship, in any form, again. Was the comment about Legends just poking fun, or did you think we actually repacked poor-selling figures onto new cards?

I wonder just how they go about destroying them, and if they are recycled in any way? In the past I assumed figures that were collected in this manner were distributed to bargain/ discount chains such as Big Lots or Ollie's. I guess not this time. It seems like a tremendous waste in any case. Perhaps this is something we can bring up in a future Q&A. What do you guys think about this?
    Most wanted "bottom-of-the-barrel scrapes": ANH: Kal'Falnl C'ndros, Revwien (concept art), Tzizvvt ESB: Wiorkettle, Treva Horme ROTJ: Cane Adiss, Loje Nella TPM: Edcel Bar Gane AOTC: Rogwa Wodrata ROTS: Mon Calamari Dancer, Veedaaz Awmetth, Eeusu Estornii EU: Guri (red outfit), Ket Maliss

I guess I blew my chance of getting my hands on a second Yarna figure to open then. Hasbro, send all the ones you pull to me, I will give them a good home, or sell them at a silent auction to rsise money for the American Cancer Society!
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

In theory, I suppose this didn't really surprise me. I had a few high school buddies who worked at Blockbuster. Basically they had that guarantee that they would have certain movies in stock and so would have a bajillion copies of it but when the next flavor of the month came along they would take 90% if them out back and smash them with a hammer. Otherwise the market would have been flooded with copies of American Pie 3 which would have meant the end of civilization as we know it.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

This worries me. If the sales for Legacy continue to sag, will that mean fewer collector oriented figures in the future?
    [FONT=Palatino Linotype]"There was Rocketman, trying to get out, and here comes the cliff, and just before the car went off the cliff, he jumped free! And all the kids cheered! But I didn't cheer. I stood right up and started shouting. This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! HE DID'NT GET OUT OF THE COCKADOODIE CAR!" - Annie Wilkes [/FONT]

When they say "destroyed", I picture Yarna falling into a grinder.

She is reborn into a new figure. Yesterday's Yarna, Ak-Rev is today's Ice Cream Maker Guy and so on and so forth. They can really get a sustainable raw material supply going and keep pegwarmer rounder uppers busy. That way the pegwarmers are a renewable resource, less expensive to make, more of them with less risk. It's a win win situation.

Pegwarmers are going Green
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Wow I don't think they liked that question. The answer seemed to have an angry edge.

They have said there would be fewer collector-only orientated figures but I think this will mean that figures as ''uninteresting'' and as majorly obscure as ICMG are not going to happen anymore; or if they do it will be if they win a fans choice poll. Definitely figures that Hasbro have said they don't want to do or that they have joked sarcastically about at some point will probably not have much of a chance outside of winning a fan poll. They're not going to listen to loud minorities about certain characters in the general selections throughout the year.

I think they'll continue to make characters that are visually interesting and/or have action-orientated angles including cantina aliens, jabbas palace aliens, skiffguards, ewoks, jedi, podrace/ Mos Espa aliens.

Imperials, rebels, clones, battle droids etc are probably a given.

However there are some characters who are neither visually interesting nor action-orientated such as Commander Willard and certain human cantina and jabbas palace denizens (Laudica, Rayc Ryjerd) who I sincerely hope do not come under Hasbro's blacklist of 'Will not Makes' because I've got dioramas to fill and these characters are as important as anyone in those contexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue2th View Post
    That way the pegwarmers are a renewable resource, less expensive to make, more of them with less risk. It's a win win situation.
    Emphasis added.

There's no way it's cheaper to pay some one to go around collect all of these figures (probably buying them or giving the stores a credit for them), ship them all back to China, have a factory melt them down and refine the raw materials just to use them over again. I don't claim to be an expert on figure production but when you're dealing with production in the number Hasbro deals with there's no way a figure made with recycled parts (they're paying twice to make one figure!) is less expensive than one made with new parts.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

The emptied cargo ships returning to China do carry tons of recyclables. Paper and plastic. Somewhere in that chain there's a shredded Yarna.
    At least she's not a total waste.
    "Ohh, maxi big da fish! Well dat smells stinkowiff"

"No time to discuss this as a supercommittee.... I am not a supercommittee!"

Quote Originally Posted by bobafrett View Post
    I guess I blew my chance of getting my hands on a second Yarna figure to open then. Hasbro, send all the ones you pull to me, I will give them a good home, or sell them at a silent auction to rsise money for the American Cancer Society!
    You had an entire year in which to get as many Yarnas as you wanted, so I don't want to hear any crying.

Really, though, there are one or two still around here. Do you want me to pick one up for you?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    You had an entire year in which to get as many Yarnas as you wanted, so I don't want to hear any crying.

Really, though, there are one or two still around here. Do you want me to pick one up for you?
    If I was still single, I'd say yes, but I have a wife now who I have acked up some, if not most of my loose figures. Thank you anyways.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!