Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Beware of vintage carded figure auctions

I was doing a search for 12 back carded figures on ebay and found quite a few in really nice condition for less than $100. They almost looked too good, with a shiny clean card back. It seems some will tell you the figures are on reproduction card backs and some sellers might not. While I was aware that people re-card figures I can imagine it would be very confusing for others who are looking for a bargain. Make sure you know what you are getting is the bottom line. If it is truly an original vintage carded figure look for the creases and price stickers, if it looks brand new be very wary. The price isn't the whole story, but if it's a legit item the price will reflect that ($1,000+ easily for carded 12 back). There are fakes out there no doubt and reproductions. Do as much research as possible. I would hope new collectors could see these differences.

Helps to check the seller's feedback, too, and their specific history items sold. Vintage-specific dealers are usually to be preferred over sellers of generic merchandise.

You've just touch the tip of the iceberg. There's repro cards, repro bubbles, repro accessories and in some case repro figures. That doesn't even touch the area of recarded figures. I think the seller reputation is a bigger factor simply how the card looks. While less the perfect cards are more common than perfect ones, they do exist. A seller who's known for selling fakes seems much less likely to have a real mint 12 Back than a seller with a reputation of selling only the real. Beside if you're good enough to create a fake card the fools people, you're good enough to create fake damage too.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

An easy, but wimpy, method is like me, who doesn't collect carded figs. Mainly for that reason, but also the higher costs. Sorry to hear of your troubles, IG8D8.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Great points everyone. Reputation is important. I didn't really have any trouble, it was just interesting to look at the different levels of carded figures out there. Right away that question of trust arises in your mind when you see a figure going for hundreds of dollars.

However I must admit it would be cool to have some vintage figs on reproduction card backs. Even though it wouldn't be entirely authentic it would look cool in your collection. I heard that Master Replicas makes them, is there any other way to obtain reproduced card backs?

update: I just found some vintage figures re-carded on what look like original card backs. Pretty cheap, $15-20.

Quote Originally Posted by IG 8D8 View Post

However I must admit it would be cool to have some vintage figs on reproduction card backs. Even though it wouldn't be entirely authentic it would look cool in your collection. I heard that Master Replicas makes them, is there any other way to obtain reproduced card backs?
    You could always assemble a set of the neo-Vintage figures from the Original Trilogy Collection (2004) and the subsequent two years' worth of vintage-style cards. I have them all and they make for an impressive display, and are much more affordable than "true" Vintage MOC specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by IG 8D8 View Post
    I heard that Master Replicas makes them, is there any other way to obtain reproduced card backs?
    I would hope not. Unless it is clearly marked a repro item, I'm personally against them and encourage others not to buy them. There are far too much unscrupulous people looking to made a quick buck. Tools that enable them should be discouraged.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

true, I like the look of the OTC and the vintage style cardbacks.
    I find it interesting that loose vintage figures are worth about as much as modern loose figures.

I'm always wary of carded figures that look too perfect. Especially POTF figures with crystal clear bubbles. I have seen non-yellowed POTF bubbles, but they are usually somewhat cloudy or scuffed up.

However, I wouldn't have a problem buying high quality recarded figures as long as they are well made and not just some crappy scan of a vintage card with no attempt to even hide the halftone pattern. I would personally love to buy a recarded 12-back R2-D2, because that was the very first toy that I ever picked out for myself (I was 4 years old, going on 5, at the time); but I don't really want to pay more for the figure than my monthly rent check.

Although my "holy grail" carded Star Wars figure would be a POTF Barada with a TRU price sticker. Only the price needs to be crossed out and "2 for $1" written on it with a blue or black marker (I don't remember which exactly, but it was most likely blue).

Summer of 1986, the one and only time that I saw a Barada figure in the stores was at a TRU in or around San Diego, CA. For some crazy reason, even though he only cost 50 cents, I did not buy him! I was 13 at the time, and that one moment of poor judgement has stuck with me through all these years.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Summer of 1986, the one and only time that I saw a Barada figure in the stores was at a TRU in or around San Diego, CA. For some crazy reason, even though he only cost 50 cents, I did not buy him! I was 13 at the time, and that one moment of poor judgement has stuck with me through all these years.
    I saw B in a Thrifty's for what seemed like forever, and he was an outrageous-for-the-time $4.99, with his weapon taken out. I passed. Then, when I went back and was willing to shell out five bucks for an incomplete toy... wait for it... it was gone. But I found one later for about $25 carded, with all parts, from a collectibles store in Reno (I did NOT have to shoot a man there, just to watch him sell it to me).
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega