Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you organize/inventory your collection?

How do you organize/inventory your collection? Software? Website? Paper? What factors are important to you in your organizational methods? Examples: Condition, Price Paid, Value, Where you purchased it, etc.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

I use a spreadsheet, organized with tabs for different movies (or EU, Clone Wars, etc.) alphabetized with a link and the number that I have of that particular figure and some times a reminder if I would like to acquire more copies of that figure. The list includes not just basic figures but also creatures and vehicles. I organize them this way because I store them this way, generally (vehicles and larger creatures are stored separately from the smaller figures). I'll admit I have tried using Collect Station but it's been a while since I logged in and not everything I was looking for had been added to the site yet. Also, I've been maintaining that single spreadsheet for years now and as I started setting up a Collect Station account after a few hours of work with seemingly little progress I began to realize just how daunting the task would be.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Right now I'm organizing stuff I have in storage on paper.

I bought to build dioramas and only buy what I plan to open.

I'm organizing

1. by movie (temprorarily)
    2. by scene (like the Coruscant airspeeder chase)
    3. by color of the room it will be displayed in (Coruscant will be black)
    4. then all scenes will be put in their color-coded rooms (black, tan for Tatooine, etc)

If characters like Ewoks are borrowing Imperial blasters, I want to record from which figures, in what scenes, I borrowed them from. That way I could make sure my loose collection is complete, even if all parts of some toy is not located by the rest.

What is loaned?
    What is borrowed?
    Where's the packaging? (I often split up comic 2 pack characters).

I may throw out trash I don't need when I move and make a permanent set-up. But that's in the future.

I will electronically back-up my data once my project is over and I've rested.

I think I'll be done with the paperwork by January.

It could be some time after that when I feel like going back and re-recording this data. I long for a break as it is. How did I accumulate so much stuff?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I am using Microsoft Access to keep track. I have fields for price, which movie, What collection, OTC, POTF, etc....., value (I only use this for carded figures), how many. Generally with this information I can run a simple query to get any information for totals I want.

[FONT=Courier New]I keep track of my collection in my head.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]If I had to wright it all down, I could probably remember most of what I have. Not necessarily how many of what particular clone trooper per se, but I could probably tell you all of the vehicles for sure.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Because I limit the amount of space I can use for my collection to a book shelf, three small shelves in the living room, the top of the filing cabnet next to my computer, and a dresser in my bed room, I can organize my collection in my head. I can tell the instant something as small as a blaster is missing.

. . . . that reminds me. I'm trying to figure out where the deathstar gunner's helmet went.

Thanks for the feedback. We have created a short survey here if you would be so kind and take it. By all means though, continue the thread replies...
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

I organize my collection mostly by looking at it visually as what's on display, and anything not up I generally go by memory.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ando View Post
    [FONT=Courier New]I keep track of my collection in my head.[/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]If I had to wright it all down, I could probably remember most of what I have. Not necessarily how many of what particular clone trooper per se, but I could probably tell you all of the vehicles for sure.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Also, I keep my vehicles organized in Rubbermaid bins by era/movie down in the basement.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New] [/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Since I primarily collect Episode II and Episode III vehicles, it's pretty easy to keep track of what I have. ARC-170's, Rep. Gunships, V-19's, V Wings, and Jedi Starfighters all disassemble/breakdown very easily and are easy to store in modular containers like Rubbermaid bins.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

1 Stormtrooper, 2 stormtroopers, 3 stormtroopers...557 stormtroopers, *knock knock*, Son of a...(resorts) 1 stormtrooper, 2 stormtroopers.

Really don't inventory the SW stuff like I do GI Joe. I think size is a little intimidating. I know where it goes when it is set up (in the cantina, jabba's palace, bespin freeze chamber etc). I fill in army builders to make it look nice, and than just find a place for the rest of it that makes some sort of nice display.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)