Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I have, in my hands, the Outrider and Nebulon B Frigate

That's right, the last 2 Titanium Series entries (hopefully I can retract that "the last TS" claim soon). They came from HTS.

The Outrider is a mixed bag. Let me start off by saying it's quite big, impressively so for a Titanium. But there's only the top gun, the bottom one is missing, replaced with the stand hole. The top gun rotates and is easily removed, I think if you bought a second you could put it into the stand hole but it might take some trimming. More importantly though, Hasbro chose the 1 Outrider source art that falls short, they went with the Essential Guide art which has a bigger rear half and thin rear cockpit arm. To make matters worse, they added a little more length to the cockpit arms, a little more bulk to the front arm and the rear half, and completely forgot to sculpt an engine opening so they had to paint it over the bumpy shapes. The top half is metal while the bottom is plastic. Paint is pretty detailed, oddly they then added paint weathering but it's brushed perpendicular to the angle of flight so the brushed wear lines don't make any sense. It's nice to see they tried, I don't dislike it, but I wish it was better, I wish it was perfect, it isn't the home run it should have been.

That home run luckily and surprisingly was hit by the Nebulon B though. Proving that this ship could only be done right in metal, the entire ship minus the drop down of the front end and some greebles in the back is metal with a nice selection of little details. There are a couple small blank spots towards the back on top, but largely this thing is covered with shapes and blends nicely into the plastic. It's pretty big and hefty too. Although painted darker than I would expect, it looks good and has a little extra paint details here and there. The only real drawback for my tastes is the short metal cylinder sculpted into the midsection that makes up the stand hole, it's right on the narrow part of the body so it stands out, but where else was it going to go? All in all, this one delivers so much better than most of the Hasbro designs on the Titanium Series concept, so it's nice to go out with one that not only is for the fans of the line but also nails everything it's trying to do.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Sounds good JT, the Nebbie looks most impressive in the pics.

I've just ordered the Outrider, Punishing One, Malevolence, and Neb-B which will all hopefully be here by next week

I saw the Neb-B in person at SDCC, but didn't get as good a feel for it as it is in hand. It really is a charmer.

Good luck getting your haul quickly.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    That's right, the last 2 Titanium Series entries (hopefully I can retract that "the last TS" claim soon). They came from HTS.
    Good news... Could you answer this for me (post from another thread):
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlygig View Post
    Anybody else have an Outrider yet? I just got one, and was disappointed to see that the top half of the ship is sort of warping up and away from the bottom half at the thrusters...maybe not warping, but the halves don't fit together perfectly so there is a slight gap toward one side of the thrusters. I think maybe this is because the top half is plastic and the bottom is metal, but I could be wrong about that (I don't open mine).

I would like to know if anyone else has the same "defect". If they are all like that then I guess there isn't anything to do about it, but if they are not then I might try to pick up another from HTS or in a store.

Nice get, DW! My Outrider and Nebski are in the post too, thanks to DM.

I agree JT... the weird perpendicular wash looks a bit odd, and they really messed up the engines. At least the engines are at the back so they won't be too apparent on the shelf for most folks.

Didn't know that the bottom hull was resin... do the halves line up flush, or is there a gap? I saw a few that didn't look too tight.

They're both pretty nice tools for Hasbro to go out on, IMO.
    I guess they finally listened to us and gave us what we wanted... like a cigarette before a firing squad.
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

I have 2 of the Outrider, one to keep sealed and the other open. I can see that there is some variance on the right side of the thruster area, but it's very slight on mine, measurable only in microns I'd guess.

I don't see any seam that I'd call problematic from top to bottom, nothing more than the seam on many other Titaniums.

The funny thing is that they had forgotten about the Outrider, if we hadn't reminded them in Q&A at juuuust the right time, we'd never have gotten it.

Good, I'm glad the seams are tight. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    The funny thing is that they had forgotten about the Outrider, if we hadn't reminded them in Q&A at juuuust the right time, we'd never have gotten it.
    Yeah, we did whinge and whine a lot about that Outrider, huh? Hey, whatever works! Fight the Power!
    I think the same is true for the Nebby, too. Shame our protestations about the Basestar didn't work in time to bring it back from oblivion, too.
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

Hmm. Well my gap is at least 1 mm wide... Looks like I better hunt down another while I still can.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hiatus View Post
    I guess they finally listened to us and gave us what we wanted... like a cigarette before a firing squad.
    Sort of. They never listened to the Acclamator/Republic Assault Ship idea and instead made ships barely anyone had heard of let alone seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Hiatus View Post
    Good, I'm glad the seams are tight. Cheers.

Yeah, we did whinge and whine a lot about that Outrider, huh? Hey, whatever works! Fight the Power!
    I think the same is true for the Nebby, too. Shame our protestations about the Basestar didn't work in time to bring it back from oblivion, too.
    It only felt like a lot of complaining, we actually asked only 2 questions about it total, the second one I asked about in person in July of '08, they had to get back to me for a definitive answer and luckily that was right within the timeline for... NOW! Talk about fortuitousness.

I think we asked about the Neb B and they confirmed it with us already into the planning stage. But I've been told that our tone and drive with TS was somewhat instrumental in getting as much as we did, and we can take a little credit for how long the line lasted.

Dang, a 1mm gap is certainly noticeable. If you contact Hasbro customer service soon, they may have a replacement for you, but they won't be able to guarantee it. Worth a shot though, returning it isn't an option. Or maybe you might try unscrewing it, seeing if there's any plastic or metal flash inside, clearing it, and screwing it back together.