Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

The AT-ST is mine, bwa ha ha!

Wal-mart had a whole endcap of these today - in the back of the toy section behind the baby toys. What the what??? Odd location. Anyway, I bought one and cut my thumb severely with scissors taking off the paper bindings holding it to the backer.

The figure is a snore, I don't really like the Han Solo figure and this one is the same with a different head. Oddly, this head seems to be the basis for the new Imperial Scanning Trooper I just got, and boy do I wish it had that head and body instead of this awful mess of a body. Hard to believe something with such poor articulation could have been released only 5 years ago. The figure comes with a standard Imperial blaster, but it's clear-banded into his hand so tight that the handle and butt of the gun are HEAVILY warped.

The vehicle is awesome though, and really feels like you're getting your money's worth at $45. The whole thing is new top to bottom, and tons of details sculpted everywhere. The legs are very articulated yet very strong. The cockpit holds 2 figures, and is well detailed; it has 4 pre-applied stickers on the walls for some of the detail, but I don't think it detracts from the toy, especially since I didn't have to put them in place.

The top hatch opens, and the whole top roof hinges up too. And it's not just blank underneath, there's sculpted detail inside the roof and on the interior covered sections as well. The "eye" viewports open up and have sculpting inside. The head rotates at the neck. The "chin" rotates a little side to side, and has a great range of motion up and down as well. Each leg is jointed in 5 different locations and all are strong ratchets, though some of the ratchet stops are a little far apart for my tastes, but there are still lots of good poses, just takes more work to find the little ones. The vehicle can stand extremely tall or squat down, even fold up. It stands with good footing if you don't go wild with the pose, it wobbles a bit while it's standing there but it doesn't fall down, just like the real mccoy.

Paint is mild, kind of a simple dusty look here and there. There's also some dark gray accent painting on the rear section, and other details around the "engine" area. It looks good, very accurate.

The movie style chin comes off and can be replaced with a twin-missile-firing one which is inspired by the original design but bigger. The hinge there is different and has less range, is also too weak to really hold itself up beyond default, but it's pretty decent. 1 button fires both missiles at the same time. It was a really good thing they included this, adds play value for kids (and Tycho).

One oddity, the neck comes off the body fairly easily when you lift by the head, nothing's broken, it's just the lock tabs aren't that secure. Without the head, the body loses its balance point since the head was so heavy that it was designed to only balance under load.

A buddy of mine asked if it smashes in to go with the logs, and no, it doesn't. It also doesn't do the chicken dance. No loss.

All in all, this is a real win item and I'm quite happy to have it. It's also the first Legacy Collection vehicle, much less the first OT vehicle, since the BMF, and it definitely is a good follow-up.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm very pleased with the AT-ST as well. Hopefully if we get a carded driver it'll be a new sculpt instead of this one repackaged. I never bought the Han in disguise, so I didnt' realize this was a rehash of that figure. My only complaint about the vehicle other than the head being loose is that it doesn't have any range of motion other than turning. It would have been nice for it to tilt back a bit, but that's a minor point. We've been waiting far too long for a new tool on this walker, but it was worth it.

It would have been nice to have a tilt in the head articulation, definitely.

I dunno if the wait itself was worth it, but the result is worth it.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The wait was definately worth it for me. If it had hit between 2000 and '04 or in '06 I would have probably had to pass on it. The purse strings were a little tight those years. For me, this was the perfect timing for the AT-ST to hit. I also don't think Hasbro would have done it nearly this well if it had come out sooner.

My purchases next year will probably be winding down a bit again with the arrival of my son at the end of December or beginning of January, so if Hasbro brings out something like this in the first half of the year I'm going to have to either evaluate priorities (like eating lunch at work) or sell off some of my older stuff. On the bright side, as long as my daughter likes Star Wars there's the benefit of being able to get her some of the new toys - even if she won't let me play with her BMF.

Your evil laugh in the topic causes great fear in me, JT. I imagine you in a mysterious silhouetted appearance attempting to take over the world with your army of tiny AT-ST minions. You act unknowledgable about their reclusive placement, but it was your plan all along to have them placed in such sparsely traversed spots, wasn't it? So that random passersby couldn't pick up the diabolical eaves dropped during the AT-ST minions' evil plotting to take over the stores as the start to your domination. All of this brought by your manipulation of Hasbro reps at conventions to do your bidding; to coerce them into making these cursed AT-STs. You, a Jedi, have fooled all, but not I. I see that it was simply Jedi... Tricks.

Now that that's out in the open, I believe that despite the fact my Star Wars collecting has significantly waned, I'll have to pick this up. The last AT-ST I got was in 1995, and it hasn't aged well. Between constant play for over a decade, and it's structural integrity being compromised by intense heat from a fire in that time, it's legs simply can't hold it up anymore. I had to make crutches for it, but it had no arms - or shoulders - to support them with. The AT-ST's elderly life is cruel.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    The wait was definately worth it for me. If it had hit between 2000 and '04 or in '06 I would have probably had to pass on it. The purse strings were a little tight those years. For me, this was the perfect timing for the AT-ST to hit. I also don't think Hasbro would have done it nearly this well if it had come out sooner.
    I'm not speaking to finances of course, but I remember when they released the AT-ST the first time back on the orange POTF2 packaging. It was such a lesson in frustration. And then we kept getting the mold over and over again, but the mold kept degrading so it'd be worse and worse. I do agree that the quality of vehicles has come way up in the last few years, but '99 had some good vehicles too (I'm thinking Naboo Fighter and AAT), POTJ had the TIE Bomber.

Also, the last few years have not been kind to OT collectors, there have been a lot of pacing issues, so we'd get something awesome like the BMF but it's released at a time when virtually no OT figures are on shelves. Then we don't see another OT vehicle for 16 months!

My purchases next year will probably be winding down a bit again with the arrival of my son at the end of December or beginning of January, so if Hasbro brings out something like this in the first half of the year I'm going to have to either evaluate priorities (like eating lunch at work) or sell off some of my older stuff. On the bright side, as long as my daughter likes Star Wars there's the benefit of being able to get her some of the new toys - even if she won't let me play with her BMF.
    Dang babies are so selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Your evil laugh in the topic causes great fear in me, JT. I imagine you in a mysterious silhouetted appearance attempting to take over the world with your army of tiny AT-ST minions. You act unknowledgable about their reclusive placement, but it was your plan all along to have them placed in such sparsely traversed spots, wasn't it? So that random passersby couldn't pick up the diabolical eaves dropped during the AT-ST minions' evil plotting to take over the stores as the start to your domination. All of this brought by your manipulation of Hasbro reps at conventions to do your bidding; to coerce them into making these cursed AT-STs. You, a Jedi, have fooled all, but not I. I see that it was simply Jedi... Tricks.
    I hide nothing, you all knew what you were getting into when you heard it was a Wal-mart exclusive. I could sell poison through them and still get buyers!

Wait, what do you mean "tiny minions"? The AT-ST is pretty big!

Well by the standards of an actual AT-ST they'd be tiny, though, I suppose by our standard they are quite large, aren't they... Midget AT-ST minions, then? ...AT-ST Midgetions?
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

You've underestimated the Hasbro AT-ST for the last time, Lieutenant.

The only AT-ST I own is from the POTJ line...the one that was packaged with the ewok and the speeder bike. I am definately going to pick this new one up when I see it. It sounds like alot of the weaknesses in the POTJ one (and its predecessors) have been corrected.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

From the ground up, this new AT-ST has that one licked by a country mile. Everything is different, more accurate, more stable, more articulated, and less crummy.