Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

To quote Vader, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry has said that singer Steven Tyler has quit the band "as far as I can tell."

Perry's comments follow those of rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford, who last week (November 6) said that Aerosmith are to hold crisis talks about their future after relations with Tyler became strained.

Now Perry has confirmed that Tyler is unlikely to perform with the band again.

"Steven quit as far as I can tell," he told the Las Vegas Sun, adding that the singer "has had no contact with me or the other band members."

The past few months have blighted with problems for Aerosmith. In August Tyler was airlifted to hospital after falling offstage at a gig in Dakota. As a result, the band were forced to cancel a U.S. tour.

Reacting to Tyler's supposed departure, Perry vowed to carry on with Aerosmith. He echoed Whitford's recent comments by saying he is considering replacing Tyler with a new vocalist.

"Right now I'm adjusting to how we're going to go on," Perry explained. "Aerosmith is such a powerful band, I mean it's like a steam locomotive. You just can't disregard 40 years of four guys who play together as well as they do.

"As far as replacing Steve, it's not just about that, it's also four guys that play extremely well together, and I'm not going to see that go to waste. I really don't know what path it's going to take at this point, but we'll probably find somebody else that will sing in those spots where we need a singer."

In a recent interview with Classic Rock magazine, Tyler said he wants to concentrate on "Brand Tyler."
    Anyone want to go kick Steven Tyler in the nutz? I'll go halfsies on plane tickets. I wonder if Rick Dufay or Jimmy Crespo can sing.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Again with this? How many times can a band break up? After the Britney debacle, I think it's been all downhill so a break or even breakup can only help things.

Nobody can replace Steven Tyler in singing, not even close. Maybe he should retire though since he's turning into an elderly woman.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

It's all gonna blow over, they'll be back next year to commemorate 40 years on the scene. Or so I believe.

And if I'm wrong and their last album was Honkin' on Bobo (one of their top 5 in my book!) and my last gig was in June 2009, I can live with it. I'm bummed that our show in August got canceled but it's still been a good run for me.

I don't want them touring as Aero without Steven (and I believe they won't) but if the remaining 4 wanted to play with a new singer under a new handle, I would be eager to see/hear them play. So much gold to mine from that back catalog that would be great to hear live. Chux, let me issue a disclaimer that if said "replacement" is Hagen, then I RETRACT my statement here.

If Steven needs a kick, I think Joe could use one as well...he's been way too public with his comments (and his wife Yoko Perry's comments) that I think they are all looking bad in this. And really guys, you're my favorite band and always will be, but the majority of the public doesn't really care anymore.

JT, in fairness to the break ups, how many are you talking about? The bottom fell out in 1980 and the ensuing 60% Aero era of Rock in a Hard Place...and it almost blew up in 1997 but it was nothing official. This isn't official either but even if it turns out to be official, that's 2 legitimate public breakups in a nearly 40 year career. Most bands don't make it half as long.

so far it's just steve not talking to any of the others. 3 months isn't long to keep to yourself in the rock world, after falling off the stage he still may not know his own name - let alone other people's phone numbers.

his manager needs to be fired if he thinks that there's any future for tyler as a solo act.

He's been supposedly working on a solo album "hitting shelves next year" for the better part of a decade.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    He's been supposedly working on a solo album "hitting shelves next year" for the better part of a decade.
    That's a long time to be working on a solo album! Is "hitting shelves next year" just a working title or is it like, based off a song from the album?
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Jax View Post
    so far it's just steve not talking to any of the others. 3 months isn't long to keep to yourself in the rock world, after falling off the stage he still may not know his own name - let alone other people's phone numbers.

his manager needs to be fired if he thinks that there's any future for tyler as a solo act.
    Exactly, Steven is mad at the band and they aren't talking. Then Joe continues his silly PR campaign (really Joe, you need to use Twitter that much???) and makes assumptions about Steven quitting, quickly turning a feud between ~60 year old Rock Legends into something reminiscent of a Lindsay Lohan / Miley Ray Cyrus spat. It's really dumb to play this stuff out in the press, letting it escalate that quickly.

They should just STFU and figure it out privately, then make an announcement whatever that may be. And if Steven is off the wagon and not talking to anyone, well then just STFU up for awhile and wait it out for awhile...much like Tom Hamilton said.

I also agree with what Jax said about Tyler as a solo act - there's no future in it. I'm DYING for a new Aerosmith record but even if/when that is released, it's not going to sell very well IMO. It will do better than Joe's latest solo disc and would probably out-sell Perry and Tyler solo discs combined, but it still won't be a huge deal. That ship has sailed. Doesn't mean it couldn't kick butt, though.

I find that a lot of older bands that are still together put out albums that are as good as or better than their previous work. It's almost as if they realize the entertainment industry won't promote them, so they have to at least try to be better than they've ever been. Off the top of my head, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen, John Mellencamp, and Bon Jovi consistently put out music that should be topping the charts the way they did two or three decades ago. I think Honkin' On Bobo is one of Aerosmith's best albums ever, and not just because I dig the blues songs they covered. Aerosmith going under the radar like that (since it was obvious the music biz had no idea what to do with a popular rock band that wasn't the White Stripes covering songs that were, in some cases, 80 years old) could be a good thing. I'd rather not have another Just Push Play anytime soon. (Take away "Jaded," and that's probably their weakest album, or a close runner up to Done With Mirrors.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    That's a long time to be working on a solo album! Is "hitting shelves next year" just a working title or is it like, based off a song from the album?
    he's channeling axl rose

Hopefully it'd be more worth the wait, if it ever happens.
    Tommy, close your eyes.