Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who here has paid storage for their collections?

Doesn't have to be ALL your collection in paid storage, I'm just curious how many collectors are actually paying to house any portion of their collection that can't fit in their homes for whatever reason.

Also, I was wondering if paying for a separate storage facility to house your collections impacts the way you collect, or even the feeling you get from collecting.

I personally don't have paid storage for my collection, though honestly it's probably beyond the point where I should have done that. But when I talk to Tycho about his situation, it sounds so foreign a concept to me, and with Jango Speck talking in the LA thread about the way his feels to him, it made me wonder how many of my buddies here are in the same boats as either of these guys.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've got my collection in storage but it's just out of necessity as my mom doesn't have any sort of room for it while I'm gone. Even if I hadn't joined up I was at the point where I would've needed one by this time anyways as when I was living with Cappy I even had stuff taking up his closet space. I've got a 20'x10' shed (I got it so big so I could store my Blazer in it as well) but it's more than half full as of now and more gets added on a monthly basis.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

i don't have anything in paid storage, yet. it's gotten to the point that i will soon. simply don't have enough space for what i do have (and i continue to add to it). most of my collection is boxed and stuck in closets as i don't have the resources (or space) to display it as it will be one day.

I'm lucky in that my wife and I own our own home, and it's big enough to provide ample storage space, including a basement and an attic. But I certainly understand Slicker's need for storage space, given his situation.

I don't pay for storage now. I would sell off some of my stored collection before I would rent a storage unit.

The idea of downsizing my collection is something I've been toying with anyway in the last few years, especially after helping go through my grandma's stuff after her death last year. She collected dolls and had items from the 1930s to the present, plus all the other clutter one accumulates after 80 years on earth. I love my stuff, but what's the point of keeping it all if I don't use it or display it?

I have a small 10x10 shed in the backyard that I currently use. It's practically full now, but since my collecting of non-construction toys has fallen significantly in the last five years, I can eke out the remaining space. LEGO doesn't eat up a lot of storage space as boxes can be flattened and even large sets can be condensed into a few gallon size zip lock bags.
    Weird War Tales: Featuring the Creature Commandos #105 November 1981 (DC Comics)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fossil View Post
    But I certainly understand Slicker's need for storage space, given his situation.
    I don't mind having it in storage except for the fact that I seriously don't know what I have. When I went through it all when I was home in March I found sooooo many duplicate figures AND vehicles. I try to keep mental notes but it just gets too cluttered that I stop trying. If I think I need it I just buy it now regardless.
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

I had a friend who put much of his toys and childhood items in storage, and that place had a fire that destroyed or damaged much of it. I have quite a bit of stuff in boxes and containers throughout my house, some in the garage and others in closets or on shelves. I think I'd just stop before I paid to store them elsewhere.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

I pay for mine............every day with scowls from my wife when sees these stacks of boxes in her unfinished dining room. Actually, she's been pretty cool about it, but I am reaching the limit on space and I don't think I'd want to pay for storage. So I'd most likely just get out of the collecting game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I had a friend who put much of his toys and childhood items in storage, and that place had a fire that destroyed or damaged much of it. I have quite a bit of stuff in boxes and containers throughout my house, some in the garage and others in closets or on shelves. I think I'd just stop before I paid to store them elsewhere.
    That's why you've gotta get insurance of your own since the storage facility will most likely NOT cover you. I think it's only a few bucks a month. I personally don't have insurance. I guess I secretly hope that my storage unit will burn down so I can get out of this collecting game...
    Up, up, and OKAAAAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    That's why you've gotta get insurance of your own since the storage facility will most likely NOT cover you. I think it's only a few bucks a month. I personally don't have insurance. I guess I secretly hope that my storage unit will burn down so I can get out of this collecting game...
    That can be arranged for a fee...

As to "renter's" insurance, it depends on the policy really. For a standard apartment it was about $200 for me for 6 months. Since this isn't a domicile, there probably doesn't need to be any liability or anything, just the fire, theft, flood, tornado etc clauses, so that could knock down the price to maybe under $100 for 6 months or so.
    Star Wars & GI Joe Customs
    HAVES: HK-50 Head, Capt Typho & GI Joe fodder available still
    Wants:L8-L9 Head, YVH-1 Complete (as possible),R7-T1 Complete (as possible),R7-Z0 Complete (as possible)