Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALIEN Prequel

ALIEN Prequel

I'm sure some of you have already heard that they are making a prequel to ALIEN and that Ridley Scott is slated to direct it. The release date is supposed to be some time in 2011. Its supposed to take place some 30 yrs before the events of ALIEN, which likely means that Ripley wont be a part of it. It sounds like it will be about the space jockey race, how the Alien was discovered/created, and how the derelict ended up on LV426.

I'm glad that Ridley is directing it, but I'm not sure if I want to know all this backstory. Not knowing where the derelict ship, the space jockey, and the cargo hold full of eggs came from added more mystery to the Alien itself. Unless its done just right, it will detract from the original itself. I don't know about the timeline either. I liked to speculate that the derelict had been sitting there for hundreds, maybe a thousand years, the last survivor of a war or disaster involving the Aliens. Thirty years just doesn't seem long enough.

I'll most likely see it when it comes out, but I know it wont compare to the original. Maybe Ridley will surprise me.

So what do you guys think?

It sould suck, it could also really rock. They are also coming out with a Mad Max sequel in 2011.

What I find most interesting about this prequel is that if Ridley Scott directs, it may foreshadow James Cameron directing another Aliens film. Many years ago, and the place I read it escapes me now since it was pre-Titanic and pre-AICN, Cameron said the only way he'd direct another Alien film was if Scott directed another one before him. Should this occur, coupled perhaps with Avatar flopping either critically and/or commercially, a Cameron Alien film doesn't seem completely outside the realm of possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Avatar flopping either critically and/or commercially,
    I think that's a good bet!

[FONT=Courier New]I am definitely interested in this AND I would really love to see the Alien homeworld. It'd be interesting to see where along the food chain these things are.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New][/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]Here is the IMDB.com entry: [/FONT][FONT=Courier New]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

I see they have Dan O'Bannon and Ron Shusett as the writers, which is another good sign. Jon Sphaits I'm not familiar with, though. Has he been a part of some movies that are any good?

I'm a huge fan of the series as well as the idea behind the prequel. Sign me up.!
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

I'll definitely watch it if Ripley isn't in the film. Making her character the focus of the franchise was a huge mistake, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I'll definitely watch it if Ripley isn't in the film. Making her character the focus of the franchise was a huge mistake, IMHO.
    Agreed.

I thought she was great in Alien, tolerable to include in Aliens so that was fine, but her being in 3 and 4 were completely unnecessary, I felt.

Quote Originally Posted by 2-1B View Post
    Agreed.

I thought she was great in Alien, tolerable to include in Aliens so that was fine, but her being in 3 and 4 were completely unnecessary, I felt.
    I wouldn't have minded her so much in Alien 3 if they hadn't killed off Newt and Cpl. Hicks before the film even started. That pretty much made the entire second film completely pointless.

Bringing her back in Alien: Resurrection as some sort of cloned alien/human hybrid was just unforgivably stupid. That movie was horrible from start to finish.