Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Bought These Really Valuable HOT WHEELS for some local collectors

I got 2 HotWheels "Woodys" - one the rare red wheel variation - that I plan to give as gifts to a couple of the Hot Wheels regulars that go to my Target every morning. They are collectors and not scalpers and they're good guys.

The one car is supposedly worth $50. I guess they get a valuable gift for being nice to me and looking out for me all these years.

I don't mind spending $1 and some change on each of them.

Anyway, the Hot Wheels were just there, on the very front of the pegs.

I have never bought Hot Wheels in my entire life! I had them as a kid when my mom picked some up for me, but I've just never been interested in them since. I'm still not. But it did feel good getting something valuable for only a buck!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Guess you found a "Treasure Hunt" Woody, with green trim on one side of the card? There are also ones called "Super Treasure Hunts" with a transparent "spectraflame" paint job that are worth even more than the regular ones. That might have been what you found.

I've got a few TH's, but I pretty much quit that. Though i did find one sitting on the pegs about a month ago I was going to trade.

Always wanted to do a documentary with a hidden camera in my hat following these guys around and standing in front of Target interviewing them (the fanatic collectors that is)

Thought it would have been cool to do that with the Star Wars collectors during midnight madness when the movies came out and everyone was scrambling to get all their stuff (including me) running to be the first ones to the toy isle.
    It really was silly.
    Wonder if anyone ever got that sort of behavior on film. I read reports of people even getting hurt.

Anyways there are some cool HW collectors out there who will pick up some SW stuff for you if you tell them what you are looking for sometimes. I know at least two guys who have done it for me in the past.

I stopped by a Target one morning. I forget what the deal was, but I was running early for an appointment and had about an hour to kill. I got there at 7:50 and just decided to wait outside. The Hot Wheels collectors were talking amongst themselves and got it into their heads (without asking me, of course) that I was another Hot Wheels scalper. When the doors opened, I was right there and went in, and they were behind me, actually yelling to each other, "We've got to get there before him!" I've not seen any more obnoxious specimen of humanity in my life, and I've seen mabudonicus! Not saying that's typical of HW collectors, but, dang, that was obnoxious. Funny thing is, I saw them all leaving the store... empty-handed!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yes, I got that super-treasure hunt, but I was up so late last night that I slept in and missed everyone meeting in the morning today. So I'll give them their prizes tomorrow.

The local news media DID indeed film the Midnight Madnesses here in front of Toys R Us for the toy releases for each prequel movie. I did my best to stay off the camera for my own part. But that was harder to do when you're one of the first in line.

One morning at my Target, a new guy shows up. When the doors opened, he took off running. It spooked the rest of us regulars to run. Up the escalator in the two story Target to the toys. He was ahead of us - and passed the toys - and we saw him a few moments later, running back downstairs with a huge bag of DOG FOOD.

Ever since, when we all meet up in front of the store, at some point or another, we ask if anyone has a coupon for dog food on them.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Congrats on your score Tycho, that is a great gift for a collector, an item they might have otherwise had to spend $$$$ to posess.

Chux- WOW that is bad!!

I do believe there is footage of a MM in this film http://www.starwoids.com/ , my friend was telling me about it and mentioned that there was a segment of certing folks planning out their TPM MM "runs" so I would figure that in the bonus features there might be more
    Iso&Baws&Topes
    Too bad his genuine copy doesn't play all the way through
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

Sidenote: welcome back to the boards, Mabs. Maybe we've just been in other threads but I haven't seen you post in a while. Glad to see ya.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I stopped by a Target one morning. I forget what the deal was, but I was running early for an appointment and had about an hour to kill. I got there at 7:50 and just decided to wait outside. The Hot Wheels collectors were talking amongst themselves and got it into their heads (without asking me, of course) that I was another Hot Wheels scalper. When the doors opened, I was right there and went in, and they were behind me, actually yelling to each other, "We've got to get there before him!" I've not seen any more obnoxious specimen of humanity in my life, and I've seen mabudonicus! Not saying that's typical of HW collectors, but, dang, that was obnoxious. Funny thing is, I saw them all leaving the store... empty-handed!
    Ha Ha! (in that Simpson's kid's voice)

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Yes, I got that super-treasure hunt, but I was up so late last night that I slept in and missed everyone meeting in the morning today. So I'll give them their prizes tomorrow.

The local news media DID indeed film the Midnight Madnesses here in front of Toys R Us for the toy releases for each prequel movie. I did my best to stay off the camera for my own part. But that was harder to do when you're one of the first in line.

One morning at my Target, a new guy shows up. When the doors opened, he took off running. It spooked the rest of us regulars to run. Up the escalator in the two story Target to the toys. He was ahead of us - and passed the toys - and we saw him a few moments later, running back downstairs with a huge bag of DOG FOOD.

Ever since, when we all meet up in front of the store, at some point or another, we ask if anyone has a coupon for dog food on them.
    I went to that Target last time I was at SDCC in 06'
    Talk about a weird store layout. Didn't find any figures, but I bought a 1GB flashcard on sale to take pics.

Quote Originally Posted by mabudonicus View Post
    Congrats on your score Tycho, that is a great gift for a collector, an item they might have otherwise had to spend $$$$ to posess.

Chux- WOW that is bad!!

I do believe there is footage of a MM in this film http://www.starwoids.com/ , my friend was telling me about it and mentioned that there was a segment of certing folks planning out their TPM MM "runs" so I would figure that in the bonus features there might be more
    Iso&Baws&Topes
    Too bad his genuine copy doesn't play all the way through
    In Albuquerque during AOTC MM someone knocked a little kid over scrambling for figures. The kid hit his head on the floor.
    Pathetic.
    ROTS came along and it was a mad scramble again.

I'm sorta glad there are no more movies. Though it was fun at the time, I'm gettin' to old for that crap now.
    Last edited by Blue2th; 12-11-2009 at 08:37 PM. Reason: I was swearing ;)

Age is all in your head. We're collecting toys approved for 4 year olds.

C'mon guys, let's keep our packed to stay forever young

I am in on the pact. I will always be young at heart.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Age is all in your head. We're collecting toys approved for 4 year olds.

C'mon guys, let's keep our packed to stay forever young
    Yeah, I guess your right.
    Just this last week with $6 a figure, I went out and scoured all the Walmarts, and bought the complete ESB, ANH, and ROTS waves (minus 2 or 3 figures I haven't found yet) plus got caught up on most of the Clone Wars figures I was missing, then bought the Dewback, AT-ST, and Droid Tank.
    I think I spent what I would have on any given Midnight Madness.

So despite what my body might be telling me, my mind compels me to continue. I had all this pent up jonesing for figures, because I hadn't bought anything in a couple of months. Now I'm nearly caught up and back in the game. All it took was a sale to show my true colors.

I resisted buying any Hot Wheels though but I would have nabbed a Treasure Hunt if I saw one.