Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Picky Collectors - Why Even Bother?

I tend to "troll" through the Star Wars sites every 2-3 weeks for the Hasbro Q&A -- never really had time for the forum discussions, although I've been tempted to post quite a few times. Well this Q&A put me over the edge...

To the person asking the Battle Droid question on the 80th Q&A, and the person asking the Biker Scout question (and all of the ones who voted these questions in) -- WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??! To complain about every single specific detail of the 3.75" figure line....why do you even bother to collect it any more? Since 1995, I would wager my entire life's savings that AT LEAST 80% of figures in Hasbro's 3.75" Star Wars line have been "off" from their realistic counterpart in some aspect.

You know the vintage Kenner line, which this whole obsession of ours is based on? Were ANY of those even close to "movie accuracy"? Did you guys write to Kenner complaining that "Oh, this Ugnaught actually wears a gray smock and his tooth actually comes up at a 32 degree angle, not a 70 degree angle"...??? Did you write to compalin to Kenner that Chewbacca's head wasn't articulated?? I doubt it -- as kids, we didn't notice that stuff, or if we did, we worked (or played) around the mistakes! If you can't put up with a few minor errors, then why even bother collecting the 3.75" line?

Some figures are based primarily from black & white sketches from the 1970's! Yet you complain that "Hr'check Kal Vas has his gun holster too high. It should be 3 cm lower."... REALLY??

If accuracy is your thing, Why not collect Gentile Giant, or Kotobukiya, or something else? Even then, you won't find 100% accuracy -- but you'll get close, if you're willing to spend around $120 for a single character. But at $6 - $10 a figure, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT???!

Look at other Hasbro products. Compare the GI Joe line to Star Wars.
    As bad as the Leia headsculpts have been over the years , compare the worst (1995) of the Leia's to the new 2009 Scarlett or Baroness in the "realistic" GI Joe movie line. In fact, compare basically any Joe figure to any Star Wars 30th or Legacy collection figure. Honestly, Star Wars figures look pretty good in comparison, and you have to admit, 14 years later, Hasbro has made a really good Princess Leia face.

If you aren't happy with the paint job, here's a novel idea: CUSTOMIZE IT YOURSELF! If you can't deal with the fact that your Legacy Commander Cody has an upside down belt and an orange antenna rather than a silver one...cut the belt off, re-glue it with the correct side up, and paint the frigging antenna silver yourself! Why waste 1 of 3 questions that a site like this gets per month to answer your "my figure isn't 100% accurate, can you please re-release it?" question -- and certainly DO NOT come back 6 months later complaining that "all Hasbro does is re-paint and re-issue figures. Why don't we get more new ones?". It's questions like this that MAKE HASBRO THINK YOU WANT EVERY FIGURE RE-RELEASED! What's next? "My Legends Anakin has his eye scar, but the eye scar should be 1.1 mm long, not 1.2 mm. Can you re-make him?" ....

You guys begged and begged for years for a Snowspeeder Luke. You get one, and now what? Oh, "we want it without the cap on the head". REALLY?? I'd be willing to bet that had it came with a "normal" Luke head, there would've been complaints that people wanted the cap on the head. Can't you just simply head-swap a regular Luke head onto it? Couldn't this have been achieved YEARS AGO without the need to beg and plead Hasbro to release a Snowspeeder Luke?

Hasbro gets the schematics directly from ILM for every character or vehicle they plan to produce -- more likely FAR MORE DETAILED schematics than the ones on Wookieepedia or in books -- more information than any of us get. I'm sure someone at Hasbro knew that the yellow dot on the Geonosis BD Commander was off -- and while mistakes like this make you wonder just who is running or over-seeing the company...is it really that big of a deal? Does it really matter? If they re-release him correctly, then good. If they don't, OH WELL. He's a battle droid. Bring on new characters.

And the worst part about it? IF they actually DO correct the Battle Droid Commander in next year's Geonosis 2-packs, will any of you buy it? Most of you won't, because "it's a re-release"...

A lot of collectors crack me up. "I won't buy Cad Bane because his knees aren't articulated". REALLY? You're passing up an incredible figure because HIS KNEES DON'T BEND??! OK. Your loss. Wait 2-3 years and maybe they'll make a new one, if the Clone Wars continues. And when this one's hat is an off-shade of brown, or his gun doesn't fit perfectly into his holster, you can complain about that too.

I mean really. REALLY? The Biker Scout's "range of motion" isn't full? What kind of playing and posing are you doing with your figures???!? He's got 14 points of articulation, doesn't he? Remember when that's all you wanted? Oh, now this one's shoulders are too bulky. There aren't shoulderpads. You know what? IF Hasbro ever released the 100% be-all, end-all perfect Biker Scout (or any other kind of army builder), you would be upset -- why? Because now your other figures from 1995 - 2009 look like crap, and you have to buy another 100 NEW Biker Scouts to replace your army.

Is it really worth it? Really? I'm certainly not saying to accept all Hasbro product as "perfect" or "as good as it can get" -- because it's obviously not. But do you think that Pokemon, Ben-10, or Bakugon, or whatever other "hot toys" are out there get complaints from adults that "Oh, my Pikachu figure is not quite to scale. He should be 3.71 inches tall, and instead he is 3.75 inches. He makes my other figures look too short" type questions?? REALLY??!

I honestly cannot think of the last time I read a post of someone saying "____ is a really good figure. I'm glad that I got him/her" .

Collectors, be upset that Hasbro screwed up with the Scanning Crew and Hoth Rebel variants and their releases. Be upset that until this holiday season, figures were costing about double what they cost 10 years ago, and vehicles as well. Be upset that Hasbro never listens to the characters that WE, as their "hard core base" ask for on a daily basis -- not that your Biker Scout trooper has "bulky shoulders".

Yes, I brought the Biker Scout thing up in another thread. I thought this was a pretty good figure. Maybe it could be better, but when there are so many other figures that haven't been released, or are in greater need of an update, it does seem kind of picky to complain about a figure like the Biker Scout.

I tend to not notice a lot of the details until other people point them out. Even then, I'd have to look at the movie because I couldn't tell from memory what a lot of details are supposed to look like.

The things that bother me are figures that have trouble standing or holding their weapons. I hate it when the peg holes are too shallow, particularly on figures that need help standing. I tend to like soft goods over plastic that restricts movement, but soft goods sometimes aren't executed well either. Figures should be able to sit if they were sitting in the movie, especially if the only time we saw them was when they were sitting (see the Death Star Briefing Room set and some of the Jedi Council figures). These are things that could be applied to all figures and their functionality.

I'm mostly with you, but not entirely. I think some of the resculpts are unnecessary or less than vital, and think Hasbro knows that a lot of collectors will buy every new version of a figure if it adds a tiny bit more detail or another joint. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but, at this point, I think they release not-quite-perfect figures on purpose. Like the 2009 Grievous--he's close to perfect, but lacking a cape. Because they know they can re-release him in a year or so with a cape, but maybe missing his lightsabers.

There are some figures who are so lacking, compared to others, that they need (or needed) to be redone. ROTJ Mon Mothma is an example; she doesn't look bad, but the salt shakers aren't figures. Dr Evazan is another--the figure is so "off," it wouldn't be a matter of customizing him, it'd require re-creating him.

I'd argue that head sculpts on modern GIJoes are better than most Star Wars, though they're not usually good likenesses when they're supposed to be based on real people, so I'll give you that. However, the unmasked film Storm Shadow is an excellent likeness (of young Larry Hama, not the actor who actually played Storm Shadow), and the "Aqua-Viper" (Lamprey) with removeable mask is a better Harrison Ford likeness than either the Star Wars or Indiana Jones line have ever achieved.

Unless something is way off from the movie (R5-D4) or just an awful figure (Outlander Disguise Anakin, which, curiously, has never been revisited), I'm usually cool with it. Of course, I'm the weirdo who loves the Power FX X-Wing, despite the non-removeable Luke. I prefer to complain about other things (like how that third Bossk caused global warming).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by PondaBaba's Arm View Post
    I honestly cannot think of the last time I read a post of someone saying "____ is a really good figure. I'm glad that I got him/her" .
    VTAC Bossk is a really good figure. I'm glad that I got him.

Although "really good" just doesn't do this amazing figure justice.

Keeping that in mind, I could still list his inaccuracies when compared to his onscreen appearance:
    1. the straps around his legs are way too long
    2. his arms and feet match the color of his head, which is inaccurate. They should be darker and much shinier
    3. his collar piece rotates freely when it should be firmly connected to the belt around his waist.
    4. the molded plastic strap on his rifle makes it impossible to pose him as he appeared on the deck of the Super Star Destroyer.

However, I would still categorize him as one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) Star Wars action figures of all time. But then again, I wouldn't consider myself to be one of the pickier Star Wars collectors out there. As long as the toy itself looks good, then a few inaccuracies are forgivable.

But you also have to remember that sometimes picky fans can be a good thing. If not for SSG, Hasbro wouldn't even know that they had been selling A-Wing Pilots with incorrect helmets for over ten years. It was because of the very same picky collectors that you are complaining about (myself included, in this case) that Hasbro became aware of the mistake and we finally got the correct A-Wing Pilot helmet included with the 2008 Legacy A-Wing Fighter.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post

But you also have to remember that sometimes picky fans can be a good thing. If not for SSG, Hasbro wouldn't even know that they had been selling A-Wing Pilots with incorrect helmets for over ten years. It was because of the very same picky collectors that you are complaining about (myself included, in this case) that Hasbro became aware of the mistake and we finally got the correct A-Wing Pilot helmet included with the 2008 Legacy A-Wing Fighter.
    The wrong helmet is one thing. That's kinda like packaging Indiana jones with Sherlok Holme's hat.

But I agree with the original poster that screaming because something's an insanely small amount is getting a little old. Like he said, a lot of the paint detials realy can be done by hand (I'v added the red doors to the back of my R5-D4 for example eventhough I NEVER desplay him facing backwards.)

He's right when he says there are more important things that realy should be adressed. Price, the way the line is distributed and handled at retail (the two lines being mixed in with eachother instead of displayed seperately and then having a store predominantly order one line or the other because they consider both Legacy and Clone Wars to be the same for example) The current way the package is damaged easily while in the store because of how weak the hook is on the card (I feel for packaged collectors) The list gose on.

Things like that are more important than a yellow dot being slightly off on the wrong place.

I do have to admit that this week's Battle Droid question did have me scratching my head a bit and I definitely had a "who cares?" moment. However, I just assumed that was a result of my complete lack of interest in the Prequels and any toys based on them.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I do have to admit that this week's Battle Droid question did have me scratching my head a bit and I definitely had a "who cares?" moment. However, I just assumed that was a result of my complete lack of interest in the Prequels and any toys based on them.
    Well, that was my question, so blame me, I guess. (Then again, I was the one who wrote the A-wing pilot question after you were the one to initially mention them being wrong, so you have to expect these sort of things from me. )

Quote Originally Posted by PondaBaba's Arm
    To the person asking the Battle Droid question on the 80th Q&A, and the person asking the Biker Scout question (and all of the ones who voted these questions in) -- WHAT WERE YOU THINKING??! To complain about every single specific detail of the 3.75" figure line....why do you even bother to collect it any more? Since 1995, I would wager my entire life's savings that AT LEAST 80% of figures in Hasbro's 3.75" Star Wars line have been "off" from their realistic counterpart in some aspect.
    I collect because it's fun and it's something I love to do. I'm now 20 years old, and I've been buying the figures since 1997. Even then, I thought the 'roided-up figures were goofy and preferred the more realistic ones.

The thing with the battle droid is, I know for a fact they're going to re-release them using this mold. They're actually really good figures, but those few things were bugging me and holding them back from being great. If I'm going to be buying more battle droids, I think they should have eyes, if every single other battle droid figure has them. It's just weird. It's a small paint application, but it's a significant one. The other main thing was that the droid can't hold the blaster with both hands, but whenever they're fighting, they hold the blaster with both hands; again, this was something that was done on previous figures, so I was just suggesting that they put it on this version as well. As for the Commander's yellow circle, I've been waiting for that figure since 2002, and it just looks weird now that they finally did it (again, this detail was correct on the 1999 and 2007 TPM versions). Since I was already noticing these things about the droids, I put the other stuff on there as well, so the droid can be closer to perfection when it's already really good.

Some figures are based primarily from black & white sketches from the 1970's! Yet you complain that "Hr'check Kal Vas has his gun holster too high. It should be 3 cm lower."... REALLY??
    Um, no, not really, since nobody actually said that.

If accuracy is your thing, Why not collect Gentile Giant, or Kotobukiya, or something else? Even then, you won't find 100% accuracy -- but you'll get close, if you're willing to spend around $120 for a single character. But at $6 - $10 a figure, WHAT DO YOU EXPECT???!
    Accuracy isn't my only thing, and I've been buying these for almost 13 years, and it's out of my means to buy the high-end stuff. I expect them to get major aspects of a character correct, especially when they've done them right before. I'm willing to let small things slide, but these were fairly major for this figure, which, as I said, they're going to re-release.

If you aren't happy with the paint job, here's a novel idea: CUSTOMIZE IT YOURSELF! If you can't deal with the fact that your Legacy Commander Cody has an upside down belt and an orange antenna rather than a silver one...cut the belt off, re-glue it with the correct side up, and paint the frigging antenna silver yourself! Why waste 1 of 3 questions that a site like this gets per month to answer your "my figure isn't 100% accurate, can you please re-release it?" question -- and certainly DO NOT come back 6 months later complaining that "all Hasbro does is re-paint and re-issue figures. Why don't we get more new ones?". It's questions like this that MAKE HASBRO THINK YOU WANT EVERY FIGURE RE-RELEASED! What's next? "My Legends Anakin has his eye scar, but the eye scar should be 1.1 mm long, not 1.2 mm. Can you re-make him?" ....
    And if you aren't happy with these sites, then here's a novel idea: don't visit them!

But I digress. I wasn't asking them to re-release the droid; they've already said they were going to do that. I was pointing out the figure's flaws. And you're right, the Q&A is a great resource for us, but we've already asked around 480 questions through this site and there are tons others every time. You yourself later said you want to see people being grateful for these figures, but we're not going to do that in the Q&A; we try to start the questions off on a positive note, which is why this one begins, "The new Battle Droid figures in the Geonosis Arena Showdown sets are quite nice" and continues from there to show that we do appreciate this stuff. We also know that asking about upcoming stuff usually yields "wait until Toy Fair/Comic Con"-type answers, so there's little to no point in doing that. What type of questions would you be asking, then?

Hasbro gets the schematics directly from ILM for every character or vehicle they plan to produce -- more likely FAR MORE DETAILED schematics than the ones on Wookieepedia or in books -- more information than any of us get. I'm sure someone at Hasbro knew that the yellow dot on the Geonosis BD Commander was off -- and while mistakes like this make you wonder just who is running or over-seeing the company...is it really that big of a deal? Does it really matter? If they re-release him correctly, then good. If they don't, OH WELL. He's a battle droid. Bring on new characters.
    So, then if you don't care about battle droids, then why does it matter to you if someone else wants them to be more accurate? This isn't a life or death situation for me, and I wasn't yelling about anything. I was just suggesting ways for their products to be better in the future.

Collectors, be upset that Hasbro screwed up with the Scanning Crew and Hoth Rebel variants and their releases. Be upset that until this holiday season, figures were costing about double what they cost 10 years ago, and vehicles as well. Be upset that Hasbro never listens to the characters that WE, as their "hard core base" ask for on a daily basis -- not that your Biker Scout trooper has "bulky shoulders".
    People are upset about that, which is why there are tons of questions about them each round. Asking about it more isn't going to change anything. The Hoth Trooper is coming in a battle pack next year, and they are looking to release the scanning crew some time later. There has been, maybe, a $3 increase from 1995 to 2009, but they quality of the figures has improved exponentially. These things don't matter to me, but clearly they matter to you, and to other collectors. You need to calm down and realize that the battle droid issues matter to me. What are the characters that people area asking for that we don't already have? There are a few on the current fans' choice poll, and they're clearly on Hasbro's radar. They can't possibly release everything you want right at once.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    I'm mostly with you, but not entirely. I think some of the resculpts are unnecessary or less than vital, and think Hasbro knows that a lot of collectors will buy every new version of a figure if it adds a tiny bit more detail or another joint. I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but, at this point, I think they release not-quite-perfect figures on purpose. Like the 2009 Grievous--he's close to perfect, but lacking a cape. Because they know they can re-release him in a year or so with a cape, but maybe missing his lightsabers.
    As I've stated before, that's a huge figure with several parts and a ton of articulation. Adding a cape would have sent the costs through the roof.

There are some figures who are so lacking, compared to others, that they need (or needed) to be redone. ROTJ Mon Mothma is an example; she doesn't look bad, but the salt shakers aren't figures. Dr Evazan is another--the figure is so "off," it wouldn't be a matter of customizing him, it'd require re-creating him.
    There's a resculpt of him coming, apparently in 2011.

Unless something is way off from the movie (R5-D4) or just an awful figure (Outlander Disguise Anakin, which, curiously, has never been revisited), I'm usually cool with it. Of course, I'm the weirdo who loves the Power FX X-Wing, despite the non-removeable Luke. I prefer to complain about other things (like how that third Bossk caused global warming).
    Curious? It's a boring costume in which he never does anything.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

It's curious because Outlander Anakin and little boy Anakin (in any costume) are the only versions to not get at least two new (or partially new) sculpts since 2002. He is the main character. Give some variety when milking him for all he's worth.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    It's curious because Outlander Anakin and little boy Anakin (in any costume) are the only versions to not get at least two new (or partially new) sculpts since 2002. He is the main character. Give some variety when milking him for all he's worth.
    Sure, but even the first one sold poorly and the Jedi version from the 2005 Evolutions set is still selling and nobody is asking for a new one, so I don't think it's coming anytime soon.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Granted, the first one was one of the worst figures of the AOTC line, and it was obvious in the package.
    Tommy, close your eyes.