Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why is MySpace dying and Facebook the default social network today?

I use both sites, simply because of the reality that prompted the title to this thread.

These days, MySpace has caught up with many of Facebook's starting benefits, and Facebook is looking more and more like MySpace.

I've heard the old speak that Facebook is more "adult" or "mature" than MySpace but would people please clarify what they think that means.

On MySpace you can decorate your personal page - that's true. I've done a Queensryche theme and a pirate theme before.

But in MySpace settings, you can make it so that intensive graphics or music that your friends post on their sites don't download when you visit their pages. I think that's new though. Users might have been driven away from MySpace prior to that when they learned their friend was a raging fan of polka music or something to their distaste. (I saved these music pages from artists who sing about diarhea and vomitting for use later, whenever I get sick from those Nickelback and Linkin Park songs I've been running on MySpace.)

Now Facebook connects you to friends of friends so you can link up your whole posse as well as change privacy settings so that employers can't see your party pictures. But MySpace has caught on to that too. But did they do it too late? Or are these things cyclical and will people return to MySpace when they get really sick of Farmville and Virtual Aquarium updates?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'd imagine it was because MySpace made these changes so late in the game. They also haven't really publicized their changes. I stopped using MySpace ages ago because the constant displays of tackiness made my head hurt. I didn't realize there was a way to turn these things off until you posted it here.

Facebook started out more professional in nature, geared toward college students. It expanded beyond that, but seems to have expanded more toward adults first, rather than kids, who have always been the focus of MySpace. It still retains the look, though the more recent influx of kids has sorta "dumbed down" Facebook (for lack of a better term).

The suggestions feature, which I don't believe MySpace has, is pretty useful for finding people, too.

BTW, the most useful thing to know about Facebook: when you get a Farmville update (or an update from Mafia Wars or anything else that clogs your feed), click on "Hide," and you'll never see updates from that program again. Now if there was a way to hide moronic updates from relatives in high school without hiding the person entirely....
    Tommy, close your eyes.

[FONT=Courier New]I am on both, but I prefer Facebook over MySpace. [/FONT]

[FONT=Courier New]I like the layout of Facebook better and it's not clunky like MySpace. I use Facebook to catch up with old friends and love seeing how small a world it really is with mutual friends who I would never guess in a million years that they would know each other.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]"First of all, never bad mouth synergy..."[/FONT]

Ditched my MySpace over a year ago or so. Facebook is taken it's place.
    You'll be sorry, Pee-Wee Herman!

MySpace seems to have been taken over by spammers. While there might be some on Facebook, it doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a problem.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Myspace is bloated and a little too user-friendly. I don't care all that much about either site, but at least on facebook I don't have to worry about looking up an old friend, and checking their page only to be bombarded by a thousand - or more - glitter graphics.

Plus, myspace seems to be far more infested with spambots, viruses (thanks to the too user-friendly customization), and Tom never writes me anymore. Facebook has started to become more annoying to use, though, as they attempt to introduce a hundred new features that are poorly implemented.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    The suggestions feature, which I don't believe MySpace has, is pretty useful for finding people, too.
    MySpace has that now.

BTW Chuxter, I did not know you could turn Farmville and the likes off. Thanks so much. It is really annoying.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I, too, switched a few years ago. The music players and obnoxious graphics that took forever to load got really old. Add to that the spammers, flashing ads, and the fact that pretty much everyone had moved on to Facebook anyway, I left Myspace behind.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I, too, switched a few years ago. The music players and obnoxious graphics that took forever to load got really old. Add to that the spammers, flashing ads, and the fact that pretty much everyone had moved on to Facebook anyway, I left Myspace behind.
    This pretty much sums up why I prefer Facebook. Myspace may be visually appealing, but it has no substance.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

I only created a FB page of my own to have access to another page. But mine is quite the "basic" look.
    "That's what Sheev said."