Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hasbro, please stop with the removable helmets!

Normally, I'm all about adding as much play value to these toys as possible. However, if I buy a Stormtrooper figure, then I would like for the helmet to actually resemble a Stormtrooper's and not some soft, squishy, poorly-painted, semi-gelatinous blob that stretches and warps when you try to place it on the figure's head.

In many cases I would love to army build imperial troops but just can't justify buying these figures when their helmets are so poorly made. The Legacy AT-AT Driver and TAC Stormtrooper are perfect examples of figures that actually took giant steps backwards in detail and accuracy with the addition of removable helmets.

Even when you build large armies of them, they don't look like imposing Imperial troopers. They just look like fanboys from a second-rate Star Wars convention who could only afford to purchase bargain-bin helmets from the local Halloween shop.

I'm not even going to reopen the whole Jangohead can of worms again; but as a general rule of thumb, if the trooper never removed his helmet in the film, then there is no need to release him with a removable helmet as an action figure. I think most fans of Imperial troops would prefer accuracy and crisp, detailed helmet sculpts over superfluous clone heads underneath rubbery, misshapen helmets.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is especially bad on figures like Rum Sleg, where there was no reason whatsoever to include a removeable helmet, as there was previously no reference whatsoever for what the guy looked like under his helmet.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yeah, Rum Sleg was a problem since I had a very difficult time finding one without a warped helmet. I definitely would have preferred ball-joint ankles over a removable helmet.

I don't really understand how Kenner was able to make removable helmets that actually retained their shape while on the figure's head, over 20 years ago; but Hasbro, with supposedly these great advances in technology, can't seem to figure it out.

Although, to be fair, they don't always get it wrong. The helmet on Evolutions Vader looks amazing... I just wish the same could be said for the 2-piece helmet on the Legacy Vader (I guess sometimes less is more).

So, maybe it's just a case of Hasbro cheaping-out and settling on inferior materials rather than taking the time to ensure a proper fit on each individual figure.

The only problem I have with the TAC Stormtrooper helmet is that it is loose. Other than that, it doesn't look that much different than the VOTC Stormtrooper. I don't yet have the Legacy AT-AT Driver. With Rum Sleg, he looks fine in his helmet. I have no reason to remove it, so it is true that they could have made in non-removable, but I don't see a problem with it. The problem with these figures seems to be that constantly taking the helmet off and on could ruin it, but if you are content to leave the helmet on, it should be fine.

And why did the new Bespin guard have a removable hat? It's not like there were scenes of them without hats in the movie. I had a very hard time getting the hat on my figure!

I agree its getting tired. Boba Fett, Jango Fett and any clone I ever see these days are blighted with removeable helmet related issues. The symmetry is gone, the accurate shape is gone and in the case of Boba and Jango the helmets are too small aswell.

I totally disagree on the Stormtrooper and AT-AT Driver helmets. I love the removable Stormie helmet and don't care for the non-removable ones with the big ball joint exposed and the small lenses (the small lens thing is in some of the other characters in trooper armor, I don't care for it, I know it's got some screen accuracy to ANH but it doesn't scale well). The removable helmet trooper really looks like a guy in a trooper costume and can be posed in realistic, expressive ways.

The AT-AT Driver helmet has tons of accuracy compared to the old one, and the size is more accurate too. The big problem with it is that it seems like it fits very high, but if you push harder it drops all the way down to the normal height and its only problem is the exposed neck in the back. Keep in mind, that helmet design is a Stormtrooper helmet PLUS an entire X-wing helmet on top of that, it will be oversized. Compare it to the shoulders when you look at the figure vs a picture from the film or from a LFL photo, you'll see how close the new figure is.

I do agree that Jango and Boba, who have helmets that have specialized fit needs over the nose specifically, are often more frustrating with removable than dedicated.

I also agree that the Bespin Guard's removable hat is an oddity. And worse, because it's removable, it doesn't fit him right, it sits WAY too high on his head.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

But what about Rum Sleg? Do you agree with me or disagree on that? Huh? Huh? Please, I need validation!

Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    But what about Rum Sleg? Do you agree with me or disagree on that? Huh? Huh? Please, I need validation!

I can give you none, as I never found that figure, nor the Gungan Warrior, nor the Holo Sidious.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.